Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cereal for a 3 year old?

Default Cereal for a 3 year old?

My DD#1 loves coco pops. Ive bought it once, she's eaten the box (well, the contents , over a 4 week period) and im sooo reluctant to buy it again. What are good healthy cereals you give your toddlers? She doesnt mind the odd weetbix now and then, but she likes a bit of variety .
    Suggestions??

Eliza loves Cherios atm, that might last a few weeks. She loves to have them as a snack in the afternoon as well in a cup dry. I better go and check if they are loaded with sugar!
    Bec

We have recently started having Cheerios, but more me than the kids. There is a new weetbix out with the Wiggles on it which are specially made for 1-5 y.o and they have less salt etc. Choice did a survey a while back on all the popular cereals and Sultana Bran came out on top as the best one to have, which I thought was good because we have that a lot. If you put warm milk over them it softens the flakes and makes it similar to weetbix in consistency and easy for them to eat.

What about rice bubbles as opposed to cocopops?
    Last edited by Trillian; October 17th, 2006 at 04:07 PM.

Matilda loves Cheerios but we only use them as snacks lol... we give her sultana bran & rice bubbles and weetbix.

A way to get around the sweet cereal fiasco is to buy the fun pack (the small boxes) and ration them out over a longer period of time. Paris gets to have a sweet cereal every couple of months (but they tend to last that long too) for instance she recently had crunchy nut cornflakes. But every other day she has weetbix. I too think cheerios are the best "childrens" cereal but we tend to have other things like weetbix, cornflakes, rice bubbles etc. All I can say is thank god we don't live in the US where they have dedicated aisles to cereal and 75% is the sweet unhealthy kind LOL!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Olivia calls ALL cereals "Bubbles" LOL!

We have "Mummy Bubbles" (Plain Branflakes)
    Daddy Bubbles (Just Right)
    Cornflake Bubbles: Cornfakes
    Charlie Bubbles: (Weatbix or VitaBrits)
    Bubble Bubbles: Normal Rice Bubbles

Olivia eats these for brekky all on a rotating basis, along with a peice of vegemite toast and some fruit........

Xander will only eat Cocoa Pops, so he generally eats vegemite toast with a glass of milk, and we save cocoa pops for the weekend as a treat. Declan loves Sultana Bran (like his daddy lol) He's the easy one who'll eat anything!

Lucy - lol at the "Bubbles." Thats so cute!!

Yeah Cai it is a bit scary when you hear that some cereals have marshmallows in them!

Zander likes his plain old weetbix!! But then again he hasn't tried anything else or than porridge!

Both of my boys love Cheerio's, weetbix, porridge and nutrigrain
    Every now and then they get sick of cereal and have crumpets with vegemite

Damn you all of your cereal and vegemite toast talk now thats all I want for dinner. And a nice cup of irish breakfast.

*hugs*
    Cailin

Yep Jillian scary huh?! I can't remember which one it was, but I saw it somewhere. Christy woud know though..... Lucky Charms maybe?

Yep Lucky Charms...mmmm.... drool.... but I don't ever recall having a cereal at home that wasn't packed with sugar, frosted flakes, lucky charms and captn crunch which was really just peanut butter flavoured sugar....*shudder*

Ok I must confess I do try a few US cereals we've had shrek, lucky charms (I do love em), the choc chip cookie ones and a few others. And they are good but the cereal aisles would be a nightmare if you are a mother.

*hugs*
    Cailin

Don't the marshamllows go icky in milk? I can imagine they'd be good dry though!

Sorry Mbear for hijacking!

I've never had it with milk you just eat it straight from the box. Does anyone eat poptarts anymore?

*hugs*
    Cailin

I can't stand coco pops at all. I hate the way the milk goes chocolatey. I was a 'crunchy nut' when I was pg with Lindsay - I craved them and would have a huge bowl for brekkie!

ETA - some of the sugar content may be because of the dried fruit in them too, and not from processed sugar.

DS loves porridge, with natural Yoghurt through it.....It is actually very tasty, and very healthy! I love it too!

Oh I loooove cocoa pops, but we hardly ever buy them. The kids will eat weetbix, rice bubbles, sultana bran and honey weets on a rotating basis. Usually I let Harry help choose what cereal he would like (within reason). I was shocked to learn that cornflakes have more sodium than a packet of chips! I grew up eating them for breakfast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast