Thread: Chlorinated pools and excema

Default Chlorinated pools and excema

Hi all, my DD is 5 months old and seeing as the weather in Perth has been ridiculously hot, I have been thinking about taking her to the local pool for a dip. However she has mild excema on her face, which we are treating with creams, but just wondering do you think putting her in a chlorinated pool is a bad idea? Will it worsen it at all?

slyder Guest

I don't think chlorinated pool water will necessarily have any affect on the eczema, but chlorinated pool water in general is a skin irritiant in some people. So if your DD has sensitive skin it's something to bear in mind.

I'd give it a go.

We also dont like using chlorinated pools but we asked around and a pool near us uses salt water. Perhaps it is worth calling around?

My DS has excema and he has swimming lessons in a chlorinated pool as there are no salt water ones around.
    We have found that as long as we rinse him off straight after it doesnt seem to be a problem.
    I just take him in the showers and give him a good wash straight after and it hasnt caused any problems, on the odd occasion that he hasnt been washed it does tend to affect his excema.

Chlorine aggrevates DD's skin but I also find rinsing her off as soon as I get home and putting sorbolene on helps. She is also bathed daily in QV bath oil which keeps her skin in good condition. Give it a go - you won't know until you try. If your childs excema is bad, perhaps get a sample of the water and try that on a bit of skin first.

MG