Thread: Covering up -At what age ??

Question Covering up -At what age ??

We took the kids out to a camp park during the week and went down to the river. Tehya insisted on having no clothes on (she was covered in sunblock). I said to Mark does he think we should be covering her up now ?? We see nothing wrong with her being naked of course.

Anyway my question is at what age should we start to keep her covered up ?? I mean as in pant's. At home she often goes without a nappy or pants as we are tting. There is a houseful of males here - Tehya's brothers and then of course if their mates turn up.

We don't have a problem with her nakedness, but worry about the chances of sick people (ykwim) out there at places like the beach or river.

What do you think ??

Oh Trish - I so get you here. Layla is going through a stage where clothes are bothering her and will strip off in the backyard. Its driving me mental.

There are sick people out there that find any age child out there attractive. Do you remember that guy that made an attempt on a little baby at South Bank in Brisbane or that 9 month old that was raped in SA or WA?

It's so hard to pick an appropriate age because the [email protected] are just so wierd.

I always keep Kimberley covered up when we are out at the beach but at home it is so hard to get her to keep anything on.

See Nat, that's exactly what I'm talking about. I guess for the most of the community people don't pay attention to it. Or if they do it's only to notice it in a cute, innocent way.

Then you have the perverts out there that go and make everything uncomfortable.

I just don't know. Funny I know I went through this with my boys but it didn't seem as much an issue with them as it does with a little girl.

Sorry Michelle, posting at the same time. Kimberly is abit older than Tehya though. Did you always do it ?? Although I have a perfect reason to keep pants on her. Getting sand out of her bits is a right pain !!

Always under no circumstances would I let my children run around nudie in a public place. There are some serious sickos out there...

But I am slightly overprotective when it comes to this stuff

*hugs*
    Cailin

paradise lost Guest

deleted
    Last edited by paradise lost; December 19th, 2007 at 10:03 AM. Reason: privacy

I dont think that we can control our lives according to the 0.01% of sickos out there. Like what Hoobley says, if you are always wondering about who's watching, you dont get to live your life to the fullest, and for kids I think the freedom is paramount!!!!
    So I think its fine for kids to be nudies at the beach until about 4 or so, but different at a public swimming pool where I think togs are a little bit more required. I think kids are fine to get changed in public (like beside the car or on the beach) until they are maybe 6-7??

Its a hard one because on one hand I want my children to enjoy thier nudiness while they're still young but on the other hand I can't help but worry that it might attract attention from the wrong quarters.
    I was reading an interesting article a few weeks ago and suprisingly most people think that sexual abuse is more likely these days than previously but its actually less common because there is more awareness and people are more proactive in preventing it. Unfortunately the reality is that our children are more at risk from family friends and other people we trust than from random sickos.
    Personally I don't like to let Yasin go nude in crowded places but if there are less people I'm more relaxed about it because I can keep an eye on who is about and if I notice anyone watching/staring I can move away.

I try and not let Zhai go nudy at the beach/pool but here at home and in the yard is ok. As it was said you are more at risk from family and friends than complete strangers.. I too was abused by a "family friend" when i was younger, So i am a little more careful. Plus Zhai has not spent 1 night away from home without DF or me.

Thanks for your replies girls.

I don't know if I was worried about the whole abuse side of it all, although a very understandable factor. More as such what is socially acceptable.

I understand that abuse can and will happen no matter what you do and no matter how much you try to protect your children, things like this can and unfortunately do happen. It is a very sad and scarey world we live in.

I guess it just comes down to how comfortable you feel at the given time and place.

Fi, Tehya were's her cossie at the pools I'm not that free with her. LOL.

Thanks again for the feedback girls. It's a shame that questions like these even need asking.

Just want to clarify mines not so much abuse I just don't want to give anyone the opportunity to gawk iykwim. Paris and Seth are allowed plenty of nudie time around the house, but I just don't think its going to impact greatly on them if they are clothed in public. I don't think it will cause issues, nor will they remember it when they are older (I certainly don't) and Paris is still very open and accepting of her body... So I'm not super paranoid, just aware

Like you said Trish it just comes down to the individual and how comfortable they are

*hugs*
    Cailin

God this is horrible isn't it? DD is nearly four and she wears a little bikini to the pool which always ends up riding up above her nipples so we take it off and she runs around in just cossie bottoms. Obviously there is nothing up top to cover up and I think we would keep it like that until there is something to show. I grew up in the UK and it's a very European look. If I felt uncomfortable or there were people watching her then I would probably just leave. It's a very sad time I think.

When I went back to the UK this year I took the kids to the swimming pool with my Dad and he said he felt so uncomfortable taking DD swimming by herself and on the slides as people were watching him suspiciously - how appaling for a Grandfather to be made to feel like that. Also DH will always take DS into the shower with him but says he doesn't want to take DD as it makes him feel uncomfortable if anyone found out - WTF???

Sometimes I want to go and live on an island with no one but my family!

I grew up going to nudist beaches so have never had any issues with being naked or being around naked people.

Also, being pagan, we find that most of the kids are so used to being naked and seeing naked people that they don't get embarrassed about being without clothing. I've even seen pagan kids laugh off a flasher, going on about how the flasher's penis is really small and they've seen bigger.

My family upbringing also meant that nudity wasn't viewed as wrong and that the human body was something of beauty, heck my older brother used to wash my hair in the shower with me when I was 11 (he is 25 years older than me) and still now you can go to his place and see him in either a very skimpy towel or just jocks.

I agree there are sickos out there, but let the kids enjoy the innocence of the elements on their skins. I don't suppose I'll let my kids roam around the suburb naked, but if they want to run around the house and yard then I'll let them.