Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crawling and Walking how old?

Default Crawling and Walking how old?

I was just wondering how old was your bub when he/she started crawling (on all four's not on belly) and walking?

My baby is still commando crawling and sliding on her back by pushing her bum up at nearly 8 months and has only tried to get up on all fours on several ocassions. She can stand up on her legs when I hold her. She hasn't tried to crawl properly at all.

I read in a book that babies that crawl/slide on their bellies tend to skip crawling and go straight for the standing and walking stage.

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks!

Some do and some don't Neeny. It is something that you just can't predict what they will do. Lindsay was a late crawler and walker and the girls were quite early (Erin very early), but I have seen others do the 'bum shuffle' and then go straight to walking. She will get there in the end, she can't commando roll the rest of her life

Jack slid/crawled on his belly and also crawled properly. He was crawling very early, about 6 months and was walking at 9.5 months which is also very early. But another little boy we know who was born on the same day as Jack wasn't crawling until at least 10 months so I wouldn't be at all worried. They are all different. Trust me, you don't want an early walker, it's quite difficult bcos they don't have the language skills to understand simple commands like stop, don't touch etc.

Neeny - I've read somewhere that crawling doesn't necessarily have to ever be 'proper' and that commando style for some kids is completely normal.

In my family - I never crawled at all. Just used to slide along holding on to the walls or anything I could use to get vertical. One of my brothers started walking at 7 months and was climbing out of his cot at that age too. Nightmare for my mother. Bottom line is there is no normal. Each kid is completely different.

Lily didn't crawl until she was about 9-10 months old i think and she didn't walk until she was 14.5 months.

Jesse is almost crawling now and is only nearly 5 months.. he is a big boy though and has always seemed older than he is.. i was walking before i crawled at 9 months.. i guess all babies are different and will do it when theyre ready.

Yep, don't worry too much about it as there is so much variation between kids.

Some never crawl at all and just go straight to walking. =)

All babies are different and as it has been pointed out sometimes they may never crawl but the approximate age for crawling is anywhere between 8 - 10 months so I was told yesterday.

Matthew crawled at 8 months and went straight from crawling to standing at 9 months to cruising at 10 months but he then went from crusing at a young age to not letting go and taking his first steps at walking until 14.5 months, he obviously was just a bit worried, everyone thought he`d be an early walker but the comfort of holding on while cruising was too comforting for him.

Actual all fours crawling is important for other development, learning etc later in life.

While it may not be unusual for a baby to skip this and go straight from commando crawling to walking, it is still important that they do the all fours crawling at some stage as well.

DD didn't crawl until nine months and she showed no signs of starting beforehand - didn't get up and rock, didn't comando crawl either. She literally just got up one day and started crawling around.
    She walked at just on 13 months.

DS was crawling at 7 Months, and walking at 13 Months.

Hi Neeny

Gabriella started crawling at 10 months but didnt walk till she was nearly 15 months - my excuse was that she was always a "big" girl and it was harder for her to lift her body up hehehe!!

As for Alexander he started crawling 2 1/2 weeks ago at 7 1/2 months and is already pulling himself up to standing.

All kids are different tho!

NewmumLou Guest

Well Josh is 7 and a half months and he tries to crawl but struggles - the intention is there but he just rocks from side to side. Some babies just go from rolling into walking position.

Kirsty77 Guest

Gemma was really early..crawling at 6months and walking at 9months.

Aidyn skipped commando/belly crawling completely... and only started crawling when he was 10 months old.
    He took his first steps at 12 months and was walking quite well by 13 months.

I agree that this seems to be very individual, but here are a couple of reports from my family. Apparently the age babies start walking and crawling can be genetic.

Lucy started crawling at 8 mths and a bit (she was a very early roller and sitter, but not an early crawler), but was pulling herself up straight away. She took her first steps at 10 mths and is getting much steadier now. I started walking at 9 mths and could run around at 10 mths, according to my Mum. Both of my sisters were around 12 mths b4 walking, Mum doesn't remember crawling ages exactly and says I crawled for such a short period of time it would have been only about a month b4 I started walking.

My cousin's baby started crawling at about 6 mths but didn't take her first steps independently until 12 mths.
    Last edited by Jennifer13; February 6th, 2007 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Forgot my crawling!

Thanks to all for their feedback.

I realise children develop at their own pace but just wanted to know various age groups from members as I don't get in touch with my mum's group often since most of us have gone back to work.

Aleise is starting to get up on all fours and rock but she hasn't got the idea of moving on all four's yet!

Quote Originally Posted by rayray View Post
    Actual all fours crawling is important for other development, learning etc later in life.

While it may not be unusual for a baby to skip this and go straight from commando crawling to walking, it is still important that they do the all fours crawling at some stage as well.
    My GP said that this is actually not true at all and that some babies skip crawling altogether and it has no affect on them whatsoever. I asked her because I had also heard that it was important.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast