Thread: DD HATES The Car...

Default DD HATES The Car...

Im not sure if its her car seat or what, we have the Hipod Milan Convertible Car Seat and unless she is sound asleep when i put her in she cries...a few times she's been happy to sit in it but after 5-10 minutes she starts screaming. It has a toy bar so she has stuff to look at but it doesnt help. Even if im sitting next to her talking to her she still cries...i take her out, console her, then when i sit her back in she cries again!

How can i help her like the car? Any ideas?

No help here hun DS2 is still the same...he just hates the car x

DS was totally like this. We found that loud heavy music really helped, so I think he had a bit of motion sickness, and thats why he screamed. The girls have never had a problem with the car, so I think its what it was.

We used to play Ministry really loud and he would be much better - I think it was the beat that was soothing against his seat cos we had a big speaker in the boot, so he could feel the boom boom boom against him.

Awesome parenting on my part but she actually loves Eminem's new album LOL we bought it about 2 weeks before she was born and its been in the car playing over and over since and ive noticed a few times if i turn it up she calms a little but then i feel guilty like im turning it up to tune her out!

I found loud music helped too - I think it was something louder than their screaming that distracted them. Go the Eminem if it works

LOL, don't feel bad about Eminem! If it works, go for it. DD is almost 18 months old and dances to him everytime he comes on the radio.

We had the same thing with ds1, pop on some Gunners or ACDC and he was quiet and happy!

hehe.. nah .. good parenting

I admit that sometimes I feel like I'm trying to drown DD2 out when she's crying (usually cos she's overtired or something) but I've noticed that she's not a fan of ministry - keeps crying - so I switched it to Metric the other day and she stopped crying and started dancing along to it.. LOL

Whats that saying.. music soothes the savage beast?

This is such a hard thing because whether you want to or not, you do have to go places in a car! My DD hated the car too, cant remember but I think it was from about 2or 3 months until 9 months. We tried lots of things and in the end on long trips I would often sit in the back with her. Also ended up letting her have her dummy in the car, which she was only ever having in bed, that helped a bit. As she got stronger she would arch her back when I tried to put her in and thats when we started distraction.....singing and talking loudly but happily to her to get her in the seat, one she was in big claps and 'yaaaaahs'. A few things we did and maybe you could try were shiney cardboard starts pinned to the roof and a mirror on the seat so she could see us. She has outgrown it now, so hang in there hun, hopefully she will outgrow it I have to wonder if they just dont like being restrained and away from their mum kwim? We also tried turning her around (obviously much older than your DD) but that didnt help.

Yeah ive tried keeping her distracted until we drive off and shes all smiles for 5 minutes then it starts! Am going to try your shiney stars pinned to the roof idea!! Thanks!!

gee that sounds like DD, we just dreaded going anywhere because she was like that every trip was hell. Now it really depends on her mood. I started planning trips around her nap time and would BF her to sleep, have the car running and as soon as she was asleep Iwould pop her in and pray for the best

She could just be a baby like DD in that she needs time to realise that its not so bad ITMS??

Quote Originally Posted by Ammaki View Post
    Yeah ive tried keeping her distracted until we drive off and shes all smiles for 5 minutes then it starts! Am going to try your shiney stars pinned to the roof idea!! Thanks!!
    You are so very welcome hun, hope it works