Thread: Dunstan baby language dvd

Default Dunstan baby language dvd

Has anyone purchased the Dunstan baby language dvd set and did you find it worth the price? I saw the segment on oprah and have read a magazine article on it and am wondering if Iwould get much more out of buying the disc set to have on hand.
    Please let me know what you thought of it and if it is worth the money??
    thanks

Sazz. we brought it. found it bloody fantastic, well worth the money. Where do you live? I could post it down to you so you can borrow it if you like? cheaper than buying!!! I've given it to heaps of my friends who have had babies to borrow, and they think its fantastic too.. just gives you a heads up and feel more control over the situation... :-)
    So let me know if you want to borrow our copy? I won't need it again till next july!!!

Hi and thanks for your kind offer! I think I would rather buy it myself cause I would hate for it to get broken in in the post or in our dvd...that would be no good. Glad to hear it is worth while getting. I was just about to order one and thought I should check first just in case, now I will definately get one.

You are welcome for the offer. Hope you enjoy the dvd as much as we did. :-) Good luck!!

Hi,

I have to say that I didn't really find it that helpful because some of the sounds that baby makes are so difficult to categorise - i also found that she gave stupid advice like "rocking and/or patting is a great way to get your baby to sleep" - yeah, sure it is and in no time u'll have a toddler who always needs to be rocked or patted to get to sleep. On the otherhand some of my friends like the dvd - each to their own.

Good to hear both sides to a story Lilli, thanks for your honest relpy. I havent ordered it yet. Maybe I will see if the library can get it in? I mostly want it just for the sounds as I agree a bit with what you are saying about the patting to sleep... dont want to get stuck with that one for the next 5 years!

Hi Sazz
    Just thought I would let you know I managed to get a copy from my local library so good luck with that.

I was given a copy of it on dvd and saw the Oprah show a few times - so we wrote down a few things and then listened to what J was saying.

He does say 'nuh/neh' when he's hungry, and 'heh/eh/eairh' when he's uncomfortable/gassy. As soon as we learnt that, it became quicker to calm him because we know what he wants.

I think, though, that as long as you're listening to their cries, you will decipher what they want anyway - unless there's a problem like reflux or an illness then it might be different. It's worth at least a read/listen
    Last edited by tracey*; December 19th, 2007 at 09:56 PM.

i got it when my baby was about 10 weeks old and i wish i had it from the begining! it was fantastic. I agree with the advice bit that what she says doesnt always go with what you want to do but it also says if your baby is making the ah noise then he is tired so help him to go to sleep etc. I thought it was well worth the money, at least it gave me a bit of confidence to go aha thats what that cry means rather than go through my checklist
    Good luck

LINK'S FIRST CHRISTMAS - YAY -

My girlfriend and her DS was part of the study that was involved in the making of the CD, and she swears by it. And she had a lot of trouble with her tot, always has. She said that was just a lifesaver.

Hope it works for you.

My neighbour loaned it to me and personally, I'm glad I didn't spend the money on it (it only goes for about 20 minutes). It was interesting, but I think it is waaaaay over priced.
    I am somewhere in between the thoughts: 'whatever helps parents to be more confident is really a good thing' and 'making a parenting tool that expensive is just taking advantage of people who are in a particularly vulnerable position'...

I saw it on a show with Ray Martin. I just wrote down the basic stuff she said there and used that. Just the five phrases she gave there were very useful.

It was shown just before I was about to give birth - so prolly this time last year. So, it came just in time for me.

Just based on that information I wouldn't buy the CD. Just knowing the five phrases was really helpful when Daniel was a new born. Now, of course, it's irrelevant - mum mum, dad dad and noo noo seem to be the order of the day. Usually said in varying degrees of urgency.

I think you'll find that the new born stage is so quick that purchasing the CDs will just be another expense. If you can get it from a library I would.

The 'neh' and 'aerh' were the most common things Daniel said and I was able to use that information to my advantage.

Hey guys, just borrowed the cd's from a friend and have found them to be invaluable.... the 'words' are very useful and have had a much quieter baby the last few days after i have seen the cd... but totally agree that the dvd is VERY short and even though i would pay anything for the information, if you can borrow the cd from friend/library much better. Once you have watched the cd and written down and learnt the words, you don't need it again. But knowing now how helpful the cd is... if you have to pay for it, i would!