Thread: farrax baby rice q

Question farrax baby rice q

Asha is just 7wks today andi have found that now she is sleeping longer she is skipping a feed at night and waking up very hungry.. however because of her reflux she wont drink morethan 160mls in one feed becoz the more she has the worse it gets... farrax baby rice says 4mths on the box but i was thinking about giving her some.. shes not underweight or anything just unhappy... has anyone given it so early before? what do u think??

I agree with Caro. Some babies are ready for solids before the recommended 6 months, but most aren't which is why 6 months is the recommendation. And even if they are ready before, it doesn't hurt (usually) to hold off until 6 months as milk is their primary nutrition source until 12 months. 7 weeks is way too early.

WRT food labelling, the products that say they are suitable from 4 months are no different to the ones labelled suitable from 6 months. The companies exploit a loop hole in the law. The Australian guideline is 6 months so no baby food should be labelled as suitable from 4 months, but overseas companies are able to get around this.

please dont take offence but babies are ment to wake up hungry, remember her tummy is only the size of her fist, like the others have said please dont resort to farax yet, it is linked to many gut and kidney problems later in life

hmmm thats really interesting re food labels...
    caro - Ash has definate reflux we have gaviscon atm but i hate giving her meds... do knw ppl who have given farrax at 2mths thats why i was asking coz i thought it might b ok... also Ash only drinks 160 once or twice a day usually its between 80 - 100 and can hold her head up...
    there is a def difference in the way she acts between hungry/windy orrefluxy maybe i need to look into topping her up so she dosnt go as long or isnt as hungry.
    ajp - the reason i am worried is becoz sher is still hungry after the feed not becoz she wakes hungry

Hey Noni. Sorry your baby is unhappy. It is really tough, isn't it? I understand, as my baby is still a bit of a fusspot.
    As her mother, you want to do everything you can to make her feel better. As Caro suggested, you could talk to a dr about getting something for her reflux, if that's what's making her unsettled.
    Its great that she's having a good sleep overnight! Congratulations!
    In regard to the solids, I agree with the others, I really think it is too early and Asha's tummy isn't developed enough to cope with it just yet. I think you'd find you'd end up with an even more unsettled baby.
    I wouldn't worry about her not having any more than 160ml - her stomach is only as big as her fist, so if she drinks all that, you can be assured it is full, or at least there abouts.
    A friend once helpfully pointed out that younger babies still find all these bodily sensations strange. Empty tummy, full tummy, windy tummy... All these things feel really weird to her and crying is the only way she can express how weird she finds it. I found that explanation helpful when my baby cried in the early days.
    GL with everything, Noni.

ETA: Just read that you've got something for the reflux. Great.
    IKWYM about people having started their babies on solids early - the rules seem to change with every generation. But personally, I choose to trust the more current research that recommends babies don't start solids til 6 months or so... I think that's the most reliable info that we have as mothers to date.
    I think your idea of the top up is a good one if you think she's still hungry.

Ditto to the others...

Hi Noni,

I do agree with the others about not starting solids just yet for various reasons. You are correct that some people give solids as early as 8 weeks but usually this is recommended by a Pead for medical reasons. As your little one is putting on weight, I am not sure it would be recommended in your situation. If you would still like to start solids soon, please have a chat to your doctor or Pead first. I don't have a reflux baby so can't suggest any strategies for helping you out with the morning feed issue other than perhaps trying a thickened formula (if you FF).

Good luck though.

MG

Noni, hun, please hold off on the solids. Introducing solids early can sometimes do a lot of damage to the lining of her gut, which will in turn cause more problems than she has already with the reflux. There is also the possible risk of allergies. Even though the box says 4mths, the current recommendations for both BF and FF babies are to wait until around the 6mth mark.

As you know, Alister sleeps at least 9hrs at night and when he wakes up in the morning he is absolutely ravenous and will have his biggest feed of the day at this time - but no way known is he ready, or indeed in need of solids now. I would say the unhappiness is caused by her reflux and not that she is hungry.

caro - a gp not a paed... its farely obvious though lots of spewing and screaming and wet hiccups and gurgling followed by more crying.. u can litterally hear the spew coming up and down her throat its awful

I would imagine that offering solids would only upset the reflux (suspected?)..

I hope the thread caro linked you too helps!????

i know spew dosnt equal reflux but she is in pain when it happens as well as occasional posseting, wet hiccups constantly and arching her back, pulling off the bottle and screaming despite still being hungry..
    i have read that thread but i am reluctant to give meds... i understand i might have to but i was looking for other things to try first...
    the only reason i asked about the farrax was because as i said i have heard of ppl giving it this early but obviously by the responses i got it is not a good idea unless under medical request if your baby isnt putting on weight.. thats why i asked because i wasnt sure... Asha does suffer with her reflux throughout the day but its worst in the morning because shes starving and gutses her bottle really quick and then like i said not only does she have wind and reflux but she is still hungry (well i think its more she dosn't realise she is full and due to skipping a feed feels she needs more than she does) i thought a small amount of farrax or something similar might help with this but of course would not do anything that i thought would harm her which was why i asked first..
    thankyou for all your replies

Noni, if you think she is still hungry so soon after her first feed, just give her a little top up of about 40-60mls - that usually does the trick for Alister.

caro she goes 8hrs sometimes overnight without a feed when usually shes 4 hourly... shes on nan gold atm weve been through a few and so far this is the only formula she hasnt projectile spewed on..
    thanks for all u replies