Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Children's Books

They are the ones Sarah....

I never read a book when growing up, I just hated it & now I loved cuddling up on the couch...

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Sarah-Jonah has That's not my Lion They're great books aren't they?

Jonah's favourite are:

* The very hungry caterpillar
    * Clang Clang, Bang Bang (It's a Sesame Street book)
    *In the night kitchen (By the same author that wrote Where the Wild things are)
    *And we have a Winnie the Pooh collection that teaches them shapes, colours, differences, alphabet etc, it's a series of 5 or 6 books that comes with a CD.

Yep, love em Bec

Our book collection has grown drastically since my last post, LOL.
    Some other favourites are:
    - Peepo
    - ANYTHING with cars, trucks and machinery in it (he has about 10 of these)
    - Hairy MacLary
    - Maisy
    - those flash card books, he has a whole heap of them now, and really gets into them, learning what all of the pictures are.
    - Can you cuddle like a Koala (has beautiful illustrations!)

Emily loves "The very hungry Caterpillar" and also "Dear Zoo".

Kynan's favourite books ATM are the Three Little Kittens (he adores cats!) and Fuzzy Yellow Ducklings, which is a board book with lots of different shapes and textures (he loves sticking his finger to the sticky pink line LOL).

Ambah, Maddy used to love Peepo & Hairy Maclary!!!!

Yep we have Peepo & The HUngry Caterpillar as well. They seem to be very common...

LOL Fletch, you sound like my sister she has millions of kids books & always shows them to Zander when we visit.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Jonah has Guess How Much I Love You too. It was the very first book I ever bought him

Yasin's favorite at the moment is Hairy MacLary Scattercat. We do lots of silly sound effects and actions and he joins in with them. He also likes other Hairy MacLary books. Other favorites are Fox in Socks, Maisy books, brainy baby colours and Spot books. He can 'read' to himself now - even when the book is upside down LOL.

Oh yeah, the Very Hungry Caterpillar is a favourite here too!

I have seen the book 'guess how much I love you'... saw them read it on Playschool and I was nearly in tears LOL
    Have also seen Scattercat... think I may have to put those on Aidyns Christmas list!

I have over a hundred childrens books...hehehe I went a bit nuts at a lifeline bookfest 3 years in a row and just bought HEAPS... some are okay, some are a bit old & worn but I don't mind if they get trashed. We keep the "good books" out of reach & read her one every night and let her have access to all the others. We have heaps of Dr Suess books and Spot books. Right now though her favourite is a book my friend wrote at Uni that is bilingual... except she gets mad at me when I read it to her in spanish LOL!

Yep first book I bought for Paris was "Guess how much I love you" too.

Well Paris has just finished reading The faraway Tree with Marc. She's at an age now where the books need to be more imaginative, less words & pictures just there on the page iykwim? I have a special edition of The Wind in the Willows on order which I'll be reading to her next, then Marc's going to read Narnia and then the Hobbit.

I think reading is really important no matter the age, I'll be reading to Seth very soon. And when Paris is old enough for school I'll be letting her read to Seth.

Mem Fox recommends (from Read Aloud... def a must!)
    Read at least three stories a day: it may be the same story three times. Children need to hear a thousand stories before they can begin to learn to read.
    We often have reading sessions, where she'll grab a whole heap of books and we'll read them.

*hugs*
    Cailin

I have that Mem Fox book too Cailin. The collection of books we have here is quite astounding (huge book lover here) and the kids have their everyday books they can get all the time, and then we have the special books that we bring out and read together. It is just amazing to see Lindsay being able to get one of his own books and read it now by himself - it makes me feel so proud that he can read. Maybe I'll have a book lover on my hands?

Sherie, Maddy was reading early on & as I said will lock herself away in her room & read 15 or more of her shorter story books all afternoon, only coming out to grab a drink or something...

We have "Guess how much I love you" too..

I was in the local library once & they had a stack of really old tattered books for sale from 5cents so I let Maddy choose about 20, these are on the bottom of her bookshelf, some are wonderful, one she chose is the breeding habits of the something or other canary, but at the time my Dad bred birds & she thought it would help him!???
    She used it to look at the birds & learn her colours of the birds??!!

I think all books are great & she gets my recipe books out & asks to cook from it & I get her to write out the ingredients etcx... so all books help them to learn..

Just have to stop Indah eating them!!!

We are huge book lovers here too, in fact DD is currently sitting down "reading" and has been for the past 40 mins. Am so proud of the way she loves her books!

Her faves include Mem Foxes - Where Is the Green Sheep, as well as the Maisy series, Owl Babies - a great b/w one, any wiggles books and also loving Cinderella atm.

Thumbs up Favourite Children's Books

Favourites at the moment are:
    * Scaredy Cat (Kay Widdowson) ~ flap book about a scaredy cat lion
    * Time for Bed Pip (Bill Bolton) ~ pop up book about a caterpillar scared of the dark, part of the busy bugz series
    * Good Night Me (Andrew Daddo & Emma Quay) ~ really beautiful bedtime book
    * Balls (Elmo!) ~ flap book, not many words but good for reading on his own
    * Who Sank the Boat? (Pamela Allen) ~ 5 animals go on a boat & it sinks, have to figure out who sank the boat!
    * Alexander's Outing (Pamela Allen) ~ Alexander the duck gets stuck in a hole in the ground & has to be rescued, set in Sydney
    * Very Hungry Caterpillar (Eric Carle) ~ I had this one when I was little!
    Last edited by {sarah}; February 2nd, 2007 at 09:38 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast