Thread: fontanelle (sp?) concern

Default fontanelle (sp?) concern

Aneta flips on to her tummy during the night , she did so last night and somehow managed to travel to the other side of the cot.
    When I woke up she had her head and fontanelle jammed into the cots wooden bars.( not in between them , just into them )
    Im not sure how long she was sleeping like this
    But could she have done any damage ?? Im very paranoid about that part of the head , I hate it when she touches it herself , or when im putting on clothes
    is it very fragile??
    She seems her usual self this morning... i just hope there's no internal damage

Hey Enigma

Alex regularly (in fact for over the past month or so) flips over and ends up jammed head first up against the bars of the cot. Considering that our cot is quite large it amazes us that with all the space he always finds the bars! I wouldnt be too concerned about it unless perhaps it was very red/scratched etc. I think (now this is not medical advice!) that by this age their fontanelles arent as soft as new borns.

Thanks Ang ! )
    phew!
    It is scratched , and red ... but thats because of the really really bad cradle cap ( seeing dermatoligist on Monday )... so hopefully no damage was done tsk tsk and i remember the times she would wake up where she fell asleep

Enigma there are several layers between skull and brain, so I wouldn't worry unless something pointy got jammed into the actual fontanelle.
    Can't hurt to aks your GP if you're really worried though.
    Let us know what your dermatologist suggests about the CC will you?

Thanks Kim ,
    will do

Re the cradle cap, We were using olive oil as suggested by Dr and M&CHN but it wasn't getting any better.

Anyway, speaqking to a rfriend who's baby had it quite bad, she uses QV Bath Oil straight on his head and leave it for about 3-4 minutes at every bath/shower and it cleard up in a week... Kiara has used it 4 times and hers is pretty much gone!

Just letting you know!

Fontenelles are apparently heaps tougher than we think. Just what i've been told - can't remember who by, but it was by a dr or nurse or someone medicalish.

ALso they are slightly sunken so they're more protected. Nature had to design them that way as babies are constantly banging heads, so it's unlikely it's directly touched anyway. Totally understand your concern though xoxo

Jesse had a bit of cradle cap when he was a few weeks old and both mum and a friend suggested to put baby oil on it and just leave it until you next bath them. So if you bath her in the evening and are not going out during the day, rub some in of a morning and just leave it there. That seemed to work for Jesse.. that and alternating with sorbelene.
    Ive also heard its a good thing to do every now and then also to prevent cradle cap. Hope it helps.

thanks all for advice about the fontanelle and cradle cap

with the cradle cap we have trued everything,,, it was so bad she had scratch marks on her head.... poor thing must have been itchy... as of last week we are using Moogoo baby scalp cream and its finally coming off !!!
    We are goint to the dermatoligist to get a birthmark checked , so im planning to ask about the cradle cap while im there

One of my brothers mates has his big sister push her fingers into his when he was only about 4 weeks old. Quite far according to his mother!
    He turned out fine.

well in THAT case i have nothing to worry about

Enigma moogoo? From? I've tried everything suggested too....

Kim moogoo works wonders !!! its all nearly gone! I cant believe it myself ...
    i cant type the webpage here... but go on australian google and search for it there.. the moogoo website gives you a lists of stockists in all the Aus. states ... its expensive ( $24.95 ) but handmade.. and worth it