Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full night sleep

Default Full night sleep

Hoping to hear good news, did your baby manage to sleep a whole night all by him/her self? if yes then in what age?
    My son is 6 and a half months old, he wakes up every hour to three at night, this didn't change from birth. We done sleep training when he was 4 months old, it didn't work, after months and a half I decided that it's enough!! Now I'm putting him to sleep late and when he wakes up I give him a bottle, if he still needs help to fall asleep I move the bed from side to side, if that won't help I will get him sleepy in my hands and put him back to bed.

We stopped the night feeding for two whole months, it didn't change anything and I noticed that he wakes up more frequently if he doesn't eat at night, plus it takes me longer to put him to sleep.

Default Re: Full night sleep

None of mine have slept through until after their first birthday at least.

My 4 year old doesn't sleep through, but doesn't need anything just hops into our bed but my 18 month old sleeps from 7.30 to 5am.

My older kids (8, 6 and 5) sleep through most nights. My 5 year old woke me at 2.40 this morning because 2 cats were fighting outside and scared her.

When my 4 year old was a todder she was still feeding through the night up to about 18 months. Can't really remember when the other kids did but I know my 6 year old was still waking through the night up to about age 3. That time is pretty much a blur to me lol

Hope that helps.

My almost 4 year old still wakes 2-3 times a night, and my over 2 year old still breastfeeds through the night. I think it's fairly normal. When I stopped stressing about it (when DD1 was maybe 12 months old) it got a LOT easier.

my 21mth old stopped overnight feeds around 13mths, didn't sleep through (consistently, I'm sure he did some random nights here & there..) until around 14 months. however he still goes through phases where he wakes at 2/3am, even now. I just bring him in to my bed. I'm too tired at that time of night to try & resettle. I stressed a lot more when he was younger about how much he 'should' sleep, but honestly - they just do their thing. yours will sleep through eventually, when they're ready. 6 months is still quite young to sleep through, in my opinion & experience.

My now 9 month old was sleeping from 10.30pm through till somewhere between 4-6am for about six weeks, and then she hit 4.5 months and suddenly she stopped sleeping through! She still doesn't. She wakes around 2-3am and then 6am. Day naps were at most 50 Minutes 4 times a day. I really worried and struggled with doing it right or wrong, but the more I talk about it the more it feels like she's normal! Sleep training isn't necessary as they will sleep through when they are developmentally ready. I think changing my expectations really helped.

Suddenly just last week, she started sleeping longer for day naps. We are getting 1.5-2 hours twice a day and maybe a 30-40 minute one in the middle. I haven't done anything differently. She just started sleeping longer. At night I now put her into the cot at the start, after cuddling her and feeding her to sleep. Then when she wakes I bring her into our bed and we bed share for the rest of the night. It's so much easier when I don't stress and put pressure on us to make it last longer.

If you're really not coping emotionally with it then seeking some professional help is a good option and important. But if adjusting your expectations can take the pressure off its really worth it. I went to pinky mckays sleeping like a baby seminar and it was great. Really put it in perspective for me.

Good luck! You're doing ace, I'm sure of it xox

One of my girls slept through for the first time ever at 15 months

6 years before Liebling slept through more than 50% of the time. Even now, age 8, it isn't a done deal

But, if you class sleeping through as just waking for a feed/cuddle then going straight back to sleep, he did that from really young most nights and still does. Cosleeping works well for me.

DD slept 'through' for the first 9 weeks. Little did I know it was her getting ready to stay awake day and night until she was 20 months! But yep, DD was 20 months and started going 8pm- 6/7am. From 2 1/2 it was 12 hours.

DS *sigh* is 22 months and still feeds between 5 & 8 times a night. Every. single. night. I've hit a wall because I had convinced myself he just needed to be 20 months

My 4yo slept thru at 8 mo, my 2yo sleeps thru once in a blue moon, but is normally up at least once every night. Dont stress over it, it wil happen when bubs is ready.

Thank you all I feel much better now.
    Will let him be a baby, and try not to stress about it too much.

Every baby is different, and there is no way to tell when they " should" sleep through. I am of the opinion they still need some feeds overnight and at bed until they are one,mbut that is just my opinion. My two kids had waves of "good" and "bad" nights. When DS was born DD(2) was waking more than my newborn! When my son was a toddler I bought "Nursies When the Sun Shines" to help encourage and introduce the idea of night weaning. It helped a lot.
    I also found between 3-9 months my son woke to wee during the night, which could be what is happening with your baby.
    I highly recommend Parenting from the Heart or Sleep Like A Baby by pinky McKay to help ease your mind that your baby is perfectly normal waking. For gentle approaches to helping sleep last longer you could look at The No-Cry Solution to Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley, or if your baby is crying lots you could look at the Aware Parenting approach of allowing your child to release their emotions through crying in your arms, but it doesn't sound like this is the case for you bub, just that he is waking age appropriately

I hope you find what works best for you and your family and find peace in following your baby's sleeping patterns

Every baby is different, and there is no way to tell when they " should" sleep through. I am of the opinion they still need some feeds overnight and at bed until they are one,mbut that is just my opinion. My two kids had waves of "good" and "bad" nights. When DS was born DD(2) was waking more than my newborn! When my son was a toddler I bought "Nursies When the Sun Shines" to help encourage and introduce the idea of night weaning. It helped a lot.
    I also found between 3-9 months my son woke to wee during the night, which could be what is happening with your baby.
    I highly recommend Parenting from the Heart or Sleep Like A Baby by pinky McKay to help ease your mind that your baby is perfectly normal waking. For gentle approaches to helping sleep last longer you could look at The No-Cry Solution to Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley, or if your baby is crying lots you could look at the Aware Parenting approach of allowing your child to release their emotions through crying in your arms, but it doesn't sound like this is the case for you bub, just that he is waking age appropriately

I hope you find what works best for you and your family and find peace in following your baby's sleeping patterns

I was also going to recommend "the no cry sleep solution."

Another thought... There are "professional sleep consultants" just like there are lactation consultants for breastfeeding. If you are really exhausted, and it sounds like you are, you poor thing, then it might be something worth looking into?

Quote Originally Posted by turtledove View Post
    Another thought... There are "professional sleep consultants" just like there are lactation consultants for breastfeeding. If you are really exhausted, and it sounds like you are, you poor thing, then it might be something worth looking into?
    I will search for the book you suggested, thanks

About the sleep consultant, we consulted one three months ago and her method was to let him cry and approach him every few minutes to let him know that he is not alone, and no feeds. it didn't work for us! and was really hard for me to hear him cry so in the end we stopped. we are going to try another consultant with a different approach but i'm highly skeptical.

You should never have to leave your baby to cry, that's horrible. I hope you find someone that is able to help. Hugs!

I still feed miss 9.5months 2-3 times overnight. I also believe some of them still need to feed. Plus, I know I get hungry and thirsty overnight sometimes! Why wouldn't a baby?

Quote Originally Posted by myturn View Post
    I still feed miss 9.5months 2-3 times overnight. I also believe some of them still need to feed. Plus, I know I get hungry and thirsty overnight sometimes! Why wouldn't a baby?
    I read online, in books and saw bunch of videos saying that a baby after a certain age (3 months I think) is able to sleep a whole night or for a few good hours. It's confusing because you hear that and on another side you hear that you should feed your baby and it's normal to wake up at night.

I made up my mind that I will wake up for him and just let it fix itself, but deep down I want to sleep
    Also I heard from a relative and a neighbor (they both fed their baby at night and woke up a lot), that it continued till 2.5 years! that's a lot, considering that my baby is 7 months old, it's a log way to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast