Thread: Getting my toddler to sleep? Ideas needed.

Unhappy Getting my toddler to sleep? Ideas needed.

My DD is 20 months and has always been a very placid easy going baby and toddler. We have never had any sleeping issues. From day dot dd has been very independent, never liked co-sleeping (even when sick), will not be rocked to sleep etc. I have literally always had to put her down and walk out the room. She used to have a bottle which she replaced with a dummy when it was empty. We gave the dummy up about 4 months ago and she has been fine with this. The last 2 weeks have been very unsettling for her. She was unwell and ended up been admitted into hospital, then i had DD2 so i was in hospital for 3 days and now she has a sister at home. When she got sick she started to refuse her bottle and would not take milk from a sipper cup either. She is 100% better to what she was but still wont take a bottle and as this was her thing for bed time i can not get her down without a fight. Any ideas?? I just dont know what to do with her i cant stand to listen to her cry, She is soooooooo tired but wont lie with me or let me cuddle her. I'm feeling very lost and somewhat guilty with having no2 as she suddenly seems so unsettled.

Oh you poor thing! Don't feel guilty about having Molly, i think Mia is just trying to cope with having a little sister. I Know from when Natalie has been unwell, it takes her a while to go back to how she was, even then she is different to before. (sorry if that sounds confusing but hopefully you know what i mean) I haven't been in ur situation but wanted to say i feel for you. Maybe, try to establish a new bed time routine? Some quiet time with Mia, if possible..maybe when you see her start rubbing her eyes read her a story..after a few days maybe make the milk and put it next to her while you share a story and she may pick it up...drink it and drift off. It can't be easy having to share you all of a sudden. Goodluck

Thanks Mez80 I have tried the quiet time etc we have read a story and watched a 5 minute episode of pingu (her fave) together and i even put the milk in her bed next to her incase she changed her mind. She cried for 1/2hr then i was crying too!! i got her back up and gave her a cuddle but as i said she isnt cuddly and she wouldnt relax longer than a minute. I have put her back to bed and she is still whinging but not as worked up as she was. I wouldnt mind if she let me console her but she wont even let me do that so i feel helpless. I am not even supposed to be picking her up as Molly was born via cs but i am finding i have no choice. DH has been very good and normally she will settle for him if not me but not this week. Molly is on the other hand very settled waking only to feed so i am lucky that she is not demanding too much of my attention (yet, lol) I think i am just tired myself and want Mia to be happy i'm not used to having an unsettled toddler.

Have you thought about hiring one of those Lullabub things? You know, they go on the bottom of the cot feet and simulate being in a car/being in Mum's womb. When your baby wakes, they have a remote control you can use to set it off, so you don't even have to go in the room. You can hire them for just over $1 a day, or they retail for about $250. I know they're going for $199 at the moment, as they featured on ACA last night.

Maybe not what you're looking for at all... but thought I'd mention it.

Celsie. xoxox

Sounds like you have a clever cookie there I hope you find something that works...or maybe it is just a matter of time... i hope she settles soon and it doesn't take her too long to realise she is still very loved.