Thread: HELP 16month old just climbed out of her cot!

Default HELP 16month old just climbed out of her cot!

i feel terrible. i had my DD in her cot. she was being difficult to put to sleep and i was over it so i left her in there and closed the door and though i would leave her for 5 mins to see if she settled. (apparantly she falls asleep by herself at day care so i thought its about time she does it at home too). anyways.. she starts screaming and carrying on. DH wants to go in and get her i say no just wait for a bit longer. she gets hysterical and i leave her a bit longer.. she gets super hysterical and i get the irrates rushing in there and pushing open the door really hard. i feel a bit of resistance and just push it open harder. i see her poor little foot up in the air and she screams more! i am like what the hell.. how did you get out of there. seriously i dont know how she got out! i feel so bad, firstly i locked her in a dark room crying, she could have hurt any part of herself in the fall out and then i slam the door so hard into her that she has a cut and bruise on her foot! what am i going to do? i dont feel right leaving her in the cot from now on.

(please dont judge my bad choices of parenting int his instance..) my poor baby!

Big I dont have any advice but dont feel bad You didnt know that she had got out of her cot and were not to know she was behind the door. I would have pushed the door open hard as well if something was blocking it as I would have been worried why it was blocked.

Not sure about her monkey antics. Will stay tuned though

Aww hun, is there any way you can lower the base of the cot and take off 1 side? so she can a little more easily get out?
    Maybe she's ready for a big girl bed?
    DD1 was 15mths when DD2 was born and she was sleeping on a matress on the floor when we stayed at our new house, then when we moved we eventually got her a bed and to be honest she sleeps better in that now than in the cot.

You weren't to know she was out hun, don't beat yourself up..

that must have been hard, My DD can't climb her cot because of her sleeping bag...have you tried them?
    dont beat yourself up xx

thanks girls, i just feel so bad because i was ignoring her and rejecting her in the first place. kwim? the control crying thing. i just wanted to give it a go. i dont understand how she can go to sleep by herself at day care and not at home.

i think she is a little to oold for the sleeping bag thing, she hates having blankets on her as well. thanks for the idea though.

her cot changes in to a toddler bed. i just thought she was too little. i was worried that she would fall out of it during the night! but i guess falling out of that is better than from the height of the top rail of the cot. the mattress is on the lowest lever as it is. i seriously cant even imagine how she managed it,

what do you think is better? a single bed?. or the toddler bed thing?

thanks for your hugs and support

Awww that is tough...I think it's time for you to either take the side off DD's cot or put her in a bed

DS2 was not even two and we had no choice but to take the sides of the cot (the cot goes into a junior bed) as he was climbing out the little monkey Lol.

How about using the Snugtime ones for her Pj's..they have feet in them and then you can put Pj's or just a onesie if it's warm underneath.

I would start with the toddler bed..if it's like the one we have, it will have little sides that go on so she won't roll out...just be prepared for the 'jack in box' time, or perhaps not and she will be much happier with the toddler bed??

yeah it does have the wooden rail things but i was picturing her waking up in the night, standing up and just walking straight over the top. she is a bit of clumsy little thing, has no fear and is always falling over etc. i will give it a go tomorrow though.

good luck I hope she settles well in her big girls bed

ah Hollo, I've had a few of those moments myself today
    While neither of my kids have been in a cot past 16 months, my DS can do a lot of things when he's irate that he couldn't and wouldn't even think of doing when he's calm. Maybe it was just a one off?

I'm more a fan of mattress on the floor than toddler bed but i have really long children. The big hassle is that they can get out and easily if they want to, but my experience is if they're happier sleeping there then they won't.

Also, daycare has lots of stuff you don't - peer pressure, company in sleep, and a lack of mummy anywhere near. So please don't torture yourself over that.

Good luck.

Just wanted to wish you luck with changing the bed.
    I changed DD cot to the toddler bed when she was 14 months and have had no troubles. It only took a few times of putting her back in the bed but she has never fallen out (I put a big sheep skin next to her cot just in case as a bit of a cushion). She seems so much happier now, I guess she likes not feeling restrained. I thought I was going to have troubles but she has been great.

Hugs... I have recently gone through this myself. DD2 was in her cot for her day sleep and all I could hear was oh no! I ignored her because usually thismeant that she had thrown her teddy over the side. She got more distrought yelling oh no so I went in and she was hanging over the edge.... almost balancing on the rail and not knowing which way to go. We decided that was enough of a scare for us and since then (almost 6 weeks now) she has been in a toddler bed. Its taken a while for her to get used to it and it has been a bit harder to get her to sleep, but generally its ok. I was hoping to keep her in til she was over 2 but she had different plans!

Dont beat yourself up over the event though. We all do things for our own reasons. All the best.

well, this morning i got DD2 and put her in her cot and said do you want to hop out and she said yes i said., go on then. and i saw the way she got out. we were very lucky that she didnt hurt herself majorly!! so toddler bed it is! i just didnt even think it was possible for kids to climb out of cots! crazy! i hope she doesnt do it at day care

Definitely time for a toddler bed..have you asked at day care if she sleeps in a cot? Some places will have a mattress they put on the floor for the little ones for their sleep, perhaps this is why she is trying to jump out?
    Just a thought.