Thread: Help...I need sleep!

Default Help...I need sleep!

Ok so i might be pregnant again, and chances are im going to have ALOT of trouble with Logan sleeping during the night.

Ever since he was about 4months of age, he has NEVER slept throught the night, not even four hours straight. Im guessing it started when he started teething(and i know thats not going to stop). I try my hardest to do the same routine every day-
    Up at around 8am, breakfast, play, breastfeed, sleep at around 10:30/11:00am for an hour

Then wake around 11:30/12:00, lunch, play, breastfeed, sleep at around 2:00pm

Then wake around 3:30pm, play, bath, dinner, play, breastfeed, sleep at around 8pm

From then on, he might sleep an hour or two, then he will wake, stand in his cot and scream the house down until he gets my attention and wont go to sleep unless he gets another breastfeed.

Can anyone help me? I realise ive got myself into this rut, im just worried that im never going to get a good night sleep ( i know if i am pregnant im going to need all the sleep i can get)

Thanks in advance

Simone

Simone, I'll look forward to any replies you get, I'm in a similar boat! Can't help you hun, but here's a hug of understanding

ETA Okay similar, but I AM NOT PG!

Yep...I can relate too!

My DS is a little younger, but pretty much since 4 months he hasn't slept for longer than 2-3 hours at a time. Previous to that he was sleeping for 8-10 hours! It started with teething and now I just think it's a pattern we've got into where he is feeding 3 (or more) times in the night.

I just rang a helpline for advice...this is what they advised me to do...

For the next 3 nights, to sleep in the same room as him and when I hear him stir (before he gets into a full on cry and awake), to try and settle him. If I need to pick him up, then do that, but the aim is to try and get him back to sleep with as little 'optional extras' as possible...trying to reduce the number of feeds if I can.

She said "if it's not a problem for you, you don't need to change anything...but if it's having a negative impact on the family, then you should look at changing things"

So...I'll give it a try...she said it might be a tough couple of nights...but to hang in there!

We'll see!

Sorry ladies, but im glad others are in the same boat

I have been thinking of trying the 'cry' option but he works himself up so much. Oh and he sleeps in the same room as dp and i, in his cot at the end of our bed(we live in a granny flat) so he knows i have no other option than to pick him up.

Ummm, Simone, I was at the end of my tether and tried the 'cry' option which I had always sworn I'd never do. Well my instincts were right, it made things soooooooooo much worse, sent the day time stuff out of whack too. So I've abandoned it now, and am trying other, gentler methods. Can't go back to pacing the floor though, my back and arms can't handle it!

ETA Monnie, it just might work. I find that if I get to DS before he really *knows* he's awake, I've got a much better chance of settling him quickly, without boob, or cosleeping.

Shorty, have you tried giving him warm water instead of BM? I know what DD tried to get into a habit of waking for a feed during the night again, I started to give her water, and it only took her a coulple of nights to realise that water isn't worth waking up for.

Oh Ladies I wish could help but my 2.5yr old sleeps on a matrass on the floor next to my DH because I just didn't have any answers so ended up co-sleeping with him because I just had no other option. We slept with DS throughout my whole pregnancy with DS#2 and some nights I ended up in the spare bed because I just couldn't stand it... I will certainly be keeping an eye on this thread... Good Luck xxoo

Just a thought - have you tried the soothing music thing? We put the small one to sleep evey night with a lullaby cd and then if he stirs during the night we quickly pop it on again and it generally settles him back down - it's his 'sleep cue'. Sorry if i'm repeating what others have told you!
    cheers
    bid

Hi Everyone,

A lady I go to Mothers Group with sent out this email with an ebook on sleeping although I haven't had a chance to actually read it but there is another lady at our mothers group who was having massive probs with bub who hasn't been sleeping through the night so she went to a sleep clinic and then when she got the ebook she said she used it and it worked straight away so says it's really great so if anyone wants me to forward you the email I'll be happy to. Just PM me your email and I'll send it through