Thread: Hours between feeds???

Default Hours between feeds???

I was just wondering how often your babies go between feeds through the day/night???

Also, if your baby only has a short nap and won't go back to sleep do you have play time with them before the feed and then put them straight back to sleep after the feed without another playtime???

I'm just confused as to what to do now that Louis is having short naps.

Thanks!

Melinda Guest

I know how hard it can be when it's all new Kristie!! My best suggestion to you would be to go with the flow and be guided by Louis - he'll let you know what he needs, and when, although I also appreciate that sometimes it can be a little difficult to pick up the cues!

About play time - when Jacob would have longer periods of wakefulness following a feed, yes, I would have playtime with him - tummy time etc. If he needed feeding again before his next sleep, then that's what I would do and then put him down.....I would just watch for his tired signs and go from there as to his sleep.

HTH?

Kristie - I'm probably just as lost as you on this...but I'll tell you what we do anyway....

night time - Emma ussually has her last feed at about 9.30pm, then sleeps until 3 or 4am, has a feed then down for about 2.5-3 hours.

day time - feeds every 2-4 hours and it is pretty inconsistent. It's ussualy a feed, then about 1/2 hour of play (talking mostly) then often just a catnap, then she mostly wakes happy and wiggles around talking to herself, but if she wakes grumpy I just feed her straight away. I often need to help her settle to sleep, just by holding her wrapped for 15 minutes or so, then she can put herself to sleep most of the time.

This is probably a rough idea of our day, because it can vary quite a bit.

Thanks for your replies so quickly!

I think sometimes I read too much about what "should" be happening and its not, so its nice to hear what happens in real life.......

I'm the same Kristie - no matter what I do I stress that I'm doing too much/not enough/not the way I should/not the way xxx does it/blah blah...... Now I'm trying to just do what works for us & bugger what anyone else thinks LOL

We're all over the place!! Day feeds vary from 3-4.5 hours apart and nights are 1-2hours apart, big difference. She doesn't sleep well and loves to be awake, spending at least 6 hours awake in the day, often more. she seems happy with this, so I just go with it. However, it kills me, I'd love a few naps!! xoox

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

You will notice times when babies want to feed more, feed less, sleep more, sleep less - it's all in tune with growth spurts and developmental stages and basic needs of hunger and thirst. Of course, these times are harder for everyone involved and we question our abilities, parenting style, if we are doing the right thing... all I can suggest is to throw away the clock and the feed, play, sleep routine - trust your baby, listen to your heart and everything will be as it should be. The only thing you need to know sleep wise is watching for those tired cues and working with that, not what routine tells us our babies need.

Of course, if baby is sluggish, looking unwell etc, then as mothers I think we have the instinct to know it's not right and head off to the doctor - but as long as baby is alert and looking happy and healthy, then the clock should be out the window. I know I don't eat or drink by the clock especially with the hot weather We drink more in the heat, babies get thirsty in the heat too. So it's okay to let them quench their thirst or hunger when they need too.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I know Kelly - Most of the time its my problem anyway.

I'll be tired or I'll want him to have a routine etc...

Or he'll start something and it would be great if thats the way it stayed but obviously it doesn't work that way.

I guess its part of the learning experience of being a parent!

Hi Krisvee,

I am such a routine person and am finding it hard not to have one, but I agree with the others - you just have to let your baby tell you what he needs!

I do try to follow the feed, play, sleep routine though. If he doesn't sleep for very long after the play and I think he needs more (which in the morning I am pretty sure he does) I will try to settle him back to sleep, sometimes he goes another 1.5 hours or so which is great.

Then the rest of the day still follow feed play sleep but if he doesn't want to sleep any longer in the afternoons then I don't try to put him back to sleep.

So we end up doing lots more feeds in the afternoons/evenings, which I think is good because it tanks him up for a nice long night sleep.

Good luck!

Pearl