Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I get my 3 month old to do a poo?!

Default How can I get my 3 month old to do a poo?!

My youngest DS is breastfed and hasn't done a poo for 4 days. I know that this can be normal for b'fed babies (I've heard they can go up to 2 weeks!), but it is really abnormal for my DS who normally poos multiple times a day.

I have tried "bicycling" his legs and rubbing his tummy in a clockwise motion to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get things moving? I dread to know how much of a mess we are in for when it finally comes out!!

hehe... those were the things I was going to suggest. There probably isn't much else - a warm bath?

I know all too well the mess of 5 days of built up poo LOL. Have fun!

LOL thanks Liz! He gets a warm bath every evening, but still no luck!

Maybe try a little bit of dilute prune juice? I tried this with my DD when she wasa bout the same age and it worked great. Just make sure that you secure the nappies well and keep lots withing easy reach!

Thanks Kirsten - is it OK to give a b'fed baby prune juice? I have NO idea!

I wouldn't personally. B'fed babies don't usually get constipated, so you shouldn't really need to hurry his bowels along. I'd just wait it out and keep a change of clothes handy! heh.

It may seem abnormal for what you have been used to but going days between poos can be normal for a breastfed bub and this may be the start of a new pattern for him. Yes he will probably do a HUGE one when the time comes but I reccon having all those poo free days are great

He's not constipated unless when he does a poo it is hard and dry. It will be thicker that the usual breastfed baby poo though. I would advise against giving him anything to get it moving as he may get sick. I know when my friend gave her daughter prune juice at a similar age she vomited and made a bit of a fuss so it may have upset her tummy.

Not much you can do, My DD goes 5 daysd without pooing.. Although she has just done one yesterday and today but anyways.. I use Infanta friend if her tummy gets sore as it helps relax the bowel.. other then that I do what you already do

Hmm...sounds like I just have to wait it out! He doesn't seem bothered by it, only I do LOL! Oh I really hope it's not a massive clean up job.

Thanks Raven and Aussienic!

this happens here too - and i have to say they arent as massive as i expected - they do smell a bit more and are thicker than normal when they do happen.

Generally they dont need to do as many because more gets absorbed. So if he doesnt poo for five days it wont be like 5 days worth IYKWIM. Enjoy it I say as long as he seems comfortable.

Enchanted Guest

The other thing I have heard of Trish is to give your bubs bottom a bit if a wipe and sometimes the feeling of something on the area can get things moving. If that makes any sense?!

I think you just wipe over once

Oh, good suggestion Oshani! I will try that one today

Thanks Krysalyss & pregpan, I suppose I should just enjoy not having to change as many dirty nappies!

Trish Oliver's record is 11 days!!! That's right. Some time he will do a poo a day and then other times he will easily go a week. He isn't constipated as you don't even know he is doing a poo when he finally does (eg no straining).

The GP said a breastfed baby can quite happily go 3 weeks and my Baby Love books says the same thing. As Krysalyss said, it isn't like a weeks worth of poo that comes out, it is just that they are very efficient at using up all the goodies in your BM and so don't need to go as often.

HTH
    Spring

LOL, wow 11 days! I think if he went 3 weeks I'd be feeling very concerned!! Thanks Spring

Well he finally did his poo just before all of his own accord! Like everyone said, it wasn't as big as I thought it would be. It was still yuck though, I'm glad he didn't do it overnight, I reckon it would have made a big mess! Thanks heaps to everyone for your responses

WTG Kieran

Well I know with Kayla, if she poos frequently they're not that big, but if it's been days it explodes all out the sides and up her back LOL (in sposies anyway.. cloth contains it nicely ) So there must be some buildup.

Glad he finally did it for you Trish! I worry when L goes a few days too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast