thread: how to clean a little penis

Apr 2007
    Sydney

how to clean a little penis

I know this may sound strange but how do I clean my little boys penis specifically the foreskin? My son is now 10 weeks old. I was told to not do anything with it. But friend of mine who has a 9 month old went to the Dr as he had spots of blood in his nappy. And he has an infection because he had muck under his foreskin and he is now on a special ointment. The Dr told her that she needed to pull it back and clean it. Which of course I thought as did she that you weren't supposed to do that. What age do you start doing this? and which is the best way to do it so you don't cause any harm...

Apr 2007
    Inner South East suburbs Melbourne

I don't know but I'll be subscribing to this thread as I'm having my first little boy and I have absolutely no clue either!!!!

Add boobaloo on Facebook

May 2006
    Brisbane, Australia

you're not supposed to pull back the foreskin at all. i have never had any problem with my little boy, i just make sure that he baths twice a day.
    by the way, had a little chuckle when i saw your subject....

Feb 2008
    Country Victoria

ive always been told to do nothing. Just sort of rub/clean it when they are having a bath. But then again.. older men pull it back and clean it. Well Dp does. TMI i know.

ETA - by saying that.. remember i dont have a little boy. Just going off what i was told.
    Last edited by [M]umma[M]ia; March 17th, 2009 at 02:35 PM.

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Feb 2006
    South Eastern Suburbs, Vic

I'm pretty sure the common advice is not to pull it back, apparently that can do damage pulling it back before it's ready.
    Just keeping the area really clean by wiping well at nappy changes, and if there's a poop explosion and you aren't convinced you got the tip of the penis clean enough, then maybe try a bath.

You will notice if it looks infected (neither of mine have had foreskin infections so far), and I suppose then you could visit a doctor. As for when we can pull it back, I always thought that it just came away on its own...

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2007
    Ever so slowly going crazy...

The foreskin is actually attatched to the head of the penis, so dont pull it back... OUCHIES!!!

Just a swish over the outside in the bath is plenty... it will losen itself, and also through playing with it when your son is 18 months and older....

Once you notice it retracts a little, a bit of a better wash in the area is all thats needed.. around 2 yrs onwards.... I have 4 uncircumsised boys and not a days troubles....so far...

Jul 2007
    melb

Dont pull back ouch.

Just make sure the genital area gets a wash in bath each day. And at nappy change clean poo from around there well.

Jul 2006

Yep my nurse said most boys wil discover it them selves and unti then dont pull it back.

BellyBelly Member
    Add ~*Niadalla*~ on Facebook

Jan 2007
    VIC

Yep your boy should be the first person to pull it back.
    I have been told to clean it like a finger... lol. Just rub down the shaft but don't apply too much pressure and certainly don't pull the foreskin back

Nov 2005
    by the lake .....

yep same as eveyone else - don't pull it back. Just make sure you wash it when he bathes and when you change him - even if only a wee nappy make sure you give it a wipe. I found they quite enjoy washing it themselves from about 1 when they realise that if the wash it really well it stands up for them lol!

Dec 2006
    Smidgen-ville

Maybe your friend has to gently pull it a bit for the cleaning due to the infection. But ditto what everyone else said, but you don't have to do anything.

I feel sorry for your friends little boy though - hope it all heals soon and he has no lasting problems.

BellyBelly Member
    Add Tobily on Facebook

May 2004
    Brisbane

Noooo!!! Don't ever, ever ever ever (ever!) pull a baby's foreskin back.

It doesn't need to be cleaned and your friends doctor is plain wrong. Infections do occur but they are not common and when they do, this is NOT because mum didn't pull the foreskin back to clean it.

The foreskin will detach by itself but this occurs over a period of years.

Until that time, it's very important that it not be pulled, tugged or anything else because this causes damage The first person to retract the foreskin should be owner of the penis

Have a look here too:

Care of Intact Boys - Fathering Magazine

Apr 2007
    Sydney

I thought so. I don't want to hurt him either so I will just continue to wash him as normal in that area. You just don't know these things sometimes.
    Funny my friend says her 9mth old has a little hard penis in the mornings. I never knew that happened so young.

Apr 2007
    Sydney

Tobily,
    Thanks for that link to the article. I have been looking everywhere on the net to find something that explained it all to me. I am going to print this off and give it to my friend. Interesting topic. Since my DH is circumcised he didn't know either. But now we do, I feel much better.
    Thanks

BellyBelly Professional Support Panel

Nov 2005
    QLD

Hi Puppies
    You are doing the right thing. Do not pull back the foreskin.
    It is quite common for little boys to get an erriction

Apr 2007
    Sydney

Alan, This is this common erection caused by something I am doing? I don't want to it to be sexual if you know what I mean cause then I wont want to touch him, cause it will feel weird.

Jul 2006

Puppies Zachery often wakes up with an erection.....babies in the womb get erections even (so ive been told).

BellyBelly Professional Support Panel

Nov 2005
    QLD

No it is not caused by anything you are doing and at this stage it is not sexual. An erection at this age can be caused by many things, most of the time there is no known cause but a very common cause is the need to pee. You will probably notice that you son has more erections shortly before he has a wee. But as I said mostly the cause is unknown.