Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do i teach my 9 month old to stop yelling

Default How do i teach my 9 month old to stop yelling

Hi, My 9 1/2 mth old boy is yelling his head off all the time he has been doing it since he was about 7 months BUT now its all the time... if he wants attentioon, if he cant get his own way, when he wants food ..when he cant get into the kitchen...

i am at my wits end sometimes it just goes on and on...

How do i teach him its not on... is he to young to understand me teaching him anyway ... I dont want to yell back or smack him thats not right because hes doing it coz he knows it gets him what he wants i guess - but how do i teach him that yelling doesnt get what he wants .... If i ignore him he just keeps yelling louder and louder....

Motherhood is hard sometimes - how are we meant to know what to do........

When you find out meegm, let me know so I can tell the girl across the road! Her 9mo has been a yeller for months, sounds exactly the same!!!!

Geez, when you find out can you tell me!?! haha!!!! DS is still doing it - he has now moved from a scream to a high pitched screech - which isn't really much better!!!! I try to ignore him when he does it - but after a while I will get frustrated at him and tell him off for doing it. I just try the great art of distraction.... (or food!!!)

HaHaHaHA....

Please let me know too... My DS has moved from yelling to squeeling. not to be naughty just to be loud...

its how they communicate and learn, don't worry my mum says he will grow out of it in time to leave home..

I dont know either Megan, perhaps try distracting him with something else other then what he is wanting. Try walking out the room, telling him that "mummy isnt going to listen if you are screaming" in a firmish voice. He wont understand what you are saying, but, he will learn to understand the tone of your voice. Then come back after a minute or so. Perhaps he will learn that you are not interested in his screams.

BTW - congrats on #2

One thing that works (at least when they're a bit older) is making eye contact then starting to talk (with interesting facial expressions) in a really quiet voice. They have to quieten down if they want to hear you...hehehe...not sure if it would work with a 9 mo but worth a shot, I say!

LOL . girl sreading the posts just made me laugh my head off .....

I have tried the food thing i have tried the firm voice thing .. nothing is working HA ! im so hoping its just a phase he's going through...

Kristy J - Yep that sounds about right HA! BUT hang on they dont shut up even when they do leave home - I didnt hehehehehehehe

Marydean - One thing that has been stopping him in his tracks is exaclty that and i give him the look and he takes notice of my face and stops for about 5 secs...

5 seconds...! LOL...well it was worth a try anyhow.

PS I paid attn to this thread cos my DD 6 mo does the high pitched squeal already...hope she's not evolving into a yeller too!

HA i feel a yeller in the making it started high picthed at around 6 - 7 months and WALA 9 months hes a fully fleged YELLER ....

Meegm - Is your DS doing it to get his way? I go to him, get at his height and in a calm voice say "When you stop yelling at Mummy, then I will (insert reason for screaming), until then, I can't help you, because I can't understand you when you're shouting/yelling at Mummy". I know he's young, but they DO understand.

Caeleb is a bugger for banging on the glass door of the TV cabinet and I'll say, "Caeleb utt (or no/stop). I don't want you to that, because you're going to hurt yourself, lets find something else to do". And I move him away to do something else. Now, he'll do it, but as soon as I start talking in that tone, he knows it's going to get moved on, so he stops.

I think diversion is better than discipline at this age. He's not meaning to be naughty, just trying to communicate with you.

Good luck!

Celsie. xoxox

DS is a screamer / yeller and it started in February ........... and it's still going Usually it happens when he is tired, hungry, trying to get your attention, trying to tell you something - anytime really We have started making noises back to him in a similar tone but a much nicer pitch (one that doesn't cause industrial deafness) and then he starts to copy our noises and it makes for a much nicer communication. He loves the imitation and will happily copy the nicer noise we talk to him in. SImilar to Marydean speaking quietly

God love em hey .... little monsters heheheheheheh

ok im gonna give a couple fo the tips a try and see what works ill get back to you all with an update soon...

My DS1 did this and sometimes he still does. We ignored it. He has progressed to crying everytime he doesnt get his own way, i just give him a cuddle and distract him by tickling him etc. It does work sometimes.

Goodluck!!

PS now we are 'grunting' at everything, something for you to look forward to LOL.

My DS is 17 months and he still does this. Accompanied with a high pitched squiel. This is when he is angry and excieted lol. I still have no idea how to stop him and i don't think he understands its not right either.

actually lee does a bit of the grunting when hes eating hehehehehehe in bewteen spoon fulls

HA i feel a yeller in the making it started high picthed at around 6 - 7 months and WALA 9 months hes a fully fleged YELLER ....
    You sound quite gleeful hehe maybe we should have a playdate in three months time and they can have a yell-off...hehe prize for the loudest baby!

lol - DD has always been loud - she now sings at the top of her voice and the other days someone yelled out from the unit below us "ENOUGH!!!!!"

if only they came with a volume switch

LOL hahaha thats funny ...

Marydean - mines pretty well practised i tell ya
    Last edited by meegm; March 17th, 2008 at 08:14 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast