Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many words could your toddler say at 14 months?

Default How many words could your toddler say at 14 months?

Not sure, but I think DS should be saying a few more words than just Mumma and Dad at 14 M/O? What do you think? He is very vocal in every other way LOL!!

Lily only said mumma and dada until she was about 17mths old. She is very very vocal and babbles non-stop. Only just now, at nearly 20 months she will only say mum, dad, hello, bye-bye and tickle. Whereas others her age may say a whole lot more. I admit i was very very worried that she had a speech problem. But now i just think she is a late talker.

Ally all children progress at their own rate and I think boys are usually slower then girls.

Matthew will be 15 months on the 3rd August so not too much older then your DS, off the top of my head he`s up to at least 14 words - Mum, Dad, Mam, Nan, Ta, Cat, Cow, Up, Bye Bye, Hello, goat, book,car, bubbles - I have a feeling I`m missing something.

Do you see a Clinic Nurse? If your at all worried it might be worth talking to her but if I was in your shoes I`d give your son a few more months before I got too worried, you`ll probably find he`s advanced in other areas.

Take Care

Dee

Dee, I have heard that boys progress slower than girls. That is amazing that your DS says all of those words. I think I will see a clinic nurse just to be sure...DS is however very quick at working out puzzles and games etc, and very quick to copy what we do, so i guess he is advancing in other areas. Just wish he would talk instead of Agh Agh Agh at me!!!!LOL

I think at Lachlan's 2 year checkup he had to say approx 20 words. I really wouldn't worry too much, my 4 yr old never really started saying heaps till he was 2.5yrs and then was putting sentences together after he turned 3. Now you can't keep him quiet I would rather them talking later LOL bit more peace hehehe.

Love

at 20 months my DD is only just starting to talk more so we can understand. Untill the last month, she only said, mum, dad, up, down, hi, jess and Taa. We were trying to teach her please, shoe, bottle, juice, food, etc. She's only just mastered them and has suprised us with messy, piggy, NO!, bed, belly, feet ( and *****....oops she didn't hear that from me *L*)and some others. I was worried too, but it has started to sort itself out. She's saying two to three words together now too and is getting her point across better so tantrums are easing up a little.... I wouldn't be too worried, at 14months they're only just starting to work out sounds and I'm sure soon he'll suprise you by saying more recognisable words....

Quote Originally Posted by EllyBoo72
    Just wish he would talk instead of Agh Agh Agh at me!!!!LOL
    Ally - I can sympathise I`m getting that all this week as well, it can get rather annoying!!!!!!

Sounds like he`s doing well in other areas, when did he say his first word? Matthew was just under 6 months which I think is early.

Dee Joy, He was saying Mum Mum at 51/2 Months, and Dad Dad at 6 Months, but that is all he has ever said. Oh, and i have heard him say bath once LOL. I remember my Neice was saying alot of words at 12 months. I used to love hearing her say Turtle, it was sooo cute, sounded more like DoooTool LOL!

I dont think its so much what they can say, but what they can understand.
    Liek Jenna doesn't say Belly, but will point to it when you ask her too. And she knows where her bibs are, and will get one for you, and point to her chest when you say bib, but she doesn't say bib - does that make sense? She can't say eye, ear or clap, but she does them when you ask.

As for her words (she's 15.5months) and she says mum, daddy, jenna, baby, lily & gryffon (our cats...), bye, ta, NO, yep, poo, yum, fish, teddy, boobah (and baaboo LAMO) dolly, book, ball, duck, this, kitty - I'm sure I'm missing some but she can also do the amimal noises for lion (tiger and bear all the same ) dog, cat, horse, monkey, fish, owl, snake, sheep, cow.
    But we still get heaps and heaps of ugh's which drives me spastic! Adn there are lots of words we have no understanding of - like shes saying "doi-doi-doi" at the moment, and we have no idea what it means, but she cracks up when we repeat it!

Anyway - my point was - does he understand stuff? Can you ask where something is and he knows? Thats an important thing, so I'd be more worried about that then the talking thing.
    He'll be fine, they all have their strengths that make them better in some things than others.

A friend with a 2 yo boy who only said mum, dad and mandarin (weird one hey!!) was told by MCHN not to worry until 2.5. Then he should have at least 50 words and be able to put two words together. If not then they recommend a speech therapist. I think just wait a bit longer, it seems to all come in a rush once it starts.

Glenn will be 2 in a months time in the last few weeks seems to be copying words alot more. He can say mum, dad, door, down, car, ball, bath...... There are more but those are his main words that are real words. He also has alot of sounds that we understand (well at least i do, DH has never really been as upto speed on what the baby talks means). But like i said his abilty to copy words has increased in the last few weeks.

FI; DS understands things, such as Change your bum!!! If i ask him this he starts crawling frantically away from me. When we get to his bedroom door he starts a tanty, cos he knows he is getting his nappy changed. Then he will try to turn on the bedroom light, and grab a nappy out of the stacker. He will copy things like clapping, but he doesnt ever point at anything, or follow me at looking in the same direction that I do, which i have heard can be a sign of autism? I guess that is my biggest fear of all.

Tehya is 16 months old now and she can say heaps of words plus her understanding is fantastic for the most of it.
    Mum, mummy, Dad, Daddy, Bub, baby, Joel, Noah,ta,no,look at dis(all together),look, bye, bottle, dog, woof, meow, Hello,shoe, nana, pop, Jenny, cookie(cookie monster), Marty, juice, bum bum, thank you, please, poo and I know there's more just can't think of them.

She too knows where her bits are, nose, bum, boobies, fanny. She will come and tell us when she's done a poo by saying poo and waving her hand (stinky fashion) then if I tell her to lay down so I can change her she will. She wants to come in for a wee with me and tries to get onto the toilet too.

As you can see, all babies develop at different paces, some are quicker than others but in the end they all catch up to one another.

EllyBoo - I've had 2 different experiences in my family with late talking kids

My brother didn't say anything other than mum, dad, bub til he was about 2.5 -3, and his next offerring was "yes please mum, I want one!'
    So he definately knew what was going on, but was just a late starter.

One of my cousins' kids never said much more than that either. but would communicate in her own 'sign' language, i.e. point to what she wanted etc.
    She had glue ear!! No one had picked it up, but once they sorted it with grommets she was fine!

We went to a speech therapist (public system so it was free) with DD when she was 3 as she only had maybe 20 words. They did some sessions with her, and then DH did a program called the Hanen Program which taught parents how to get their child to speak. Nearly a year on she has improved out of sight. They don't consider a child has a problem until they are 3, so at under 2, I really wouldn't worry about speech.

Ellyboo - I think if your son understands what a nappy change is - he is perfectly normal!!! I think they all start running away at this age when its time for a change! LMAO.
    Please dont stress about his development, I'm sure he's perfectly happy and healthy!

fu4theytqhu5ir9bvffgbghg ggfgyrsdggb bccc vbhgjhfghb bb bgvbvg bvhdfgdv bfgtgf huuhfkjyhfiy7hunyi8u8mjbf;johghjkihgjuminjhhjykjph kmkouhjopuopljmokplkojlm;polmno[kijj,nkl,unolyhkh b f ji m vf mj pv

Fiona, I take it your DS is learning to use the keyboard!!LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast