Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many words could your toddler say at 14 months?

PMSL Fiona!!

Ally, I think Kynan is almost exactly the same age as your DS? He understands a lot of things too but only has a few words. The only things he says regularly are mum, dad, and neh (his version of meow). Even getting him to say mum is difficult sometimes LOL. He has said a few other things like bubble, broom broom (like his trucks), up, and apple but they've been very rare and just one-offs I think.

Yes he has been at it again, he actually had to posts up but got rather annoyed when I deleted one so I thought I best leave that one.

I forgot too, Glenn also says NO, MINE, ME & a few other self centered words LOL.

i am not sure how many Jackson has, have never counted them!! Mum, daddy, MaMa, PaPa, Nanna, Pop, bath, dog, woof, moo, ball, car, teddy, Jay Jay, nonny, duck, quack, fish - 18 I think that is.

I wouldnt be concerened, one day he will just wake up and say something new, and it will start a domino effect, that's what happened with Jackson

At 14 months Aidyn was probably only saying Mumma and Dadda.
    Now at 27 months he is still quite behind in his speech compared to others. He probably has about 30-40 words now, but most of them are very hard for anyone but me to understand.
    We are getting his hearing checked out next month to rule out things like fluid in his ears etc.
    I will wait until he is 30months (2.5) until I actually go and see someone about his speech.
    I really think he is just taking things in his own time... he has been improving lately, albeit rather slowly.

So definately try not to stress Ally, he is still very young, and boys on average can be about 6 months behind girls in the speech dept.

my little guy is very advanced with his speaking he had even learned the letters of the alphabet by playing with his big puzzle i think he was about 15 months when i took him to see the doctor and he loked over at the eye chart and started reading it out aloud ! no kidding ANYWAY the doctor was surprised at first then she shrugged and quickly said "dont think just because he talks early he is going to be gifted" ....
    i have a few friends with kids around his age ( hes 2 now) most of them dont understand what hes talking about BUT alot of the other kids are more coordinated then him with fine motor skills e.t.c. ( he is still verry messy with a spoon)

anyway all kids learn at their own pace and i would not worry about him at all
    I was also told and im not sure if it is true but Albert Einstien didnt talk untill he was 5

MIL tells me that my DH didn't utter a single word until he was 2, then he came out with a whole heap, so it looks like he understood everything and 'knew' how how say them but just didn't. My theory is that he didn't have anyone decent to have a conversation with

My nephew (BIL's son) is 19 months and we have only heard him say mum, dad and ok.

Ally, just thought I would add that I was talking about this to the CHN yesterday and she was saying that it's perfectly fine if babies aren't saying much at this age. She said that one of her bubs didn't have many words at 18 months but at 2 years was talking well. Apparently some babies don't talk much until after 2 even. The CHN said that at this age the main thing is that your baby can hear well and can understand simple things (which obviously your DS can if he's crawling away from you when you tell him it's nappy change time LOL!). She said that if you read regularly to your bub and explain day-to-day activities as you do them then that's about all you can do. Babies will talk when they're ready.

Stormi Guest

Makenzie is almost 14 months, in a couple of weeks, and she doesn't really talk at all - she says "daddy"clearly, but not consistent, she has said "duck" when she has this little duck toy, and has started saying "boo bah" for her brother Cooper. She has also, in the last couple of days, when asked where something specific is, points to it and says "dere". She doesn't say "mum" though! I try to get her to repeat me saying it, and she just makes cheeky faces at me! She understands everything we say to her though, like if I ask her where something is, she knows what I am talking about and gets it and brings it to me, if she has her bottle and I say "Finished?" she goes and gets her bottle and brings it to me. I'm not too worried about her speech, as my first son could say two word sentences at this age, and my second son didn't really start talking till he was over two. They all develop differently.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12