Thread: Ingrown toenail 4-month old

Question

Just noticed today that my 4 month old DS has a red toe with a little bit of pus in the corner. I have put some breastmilk on it, but is this something in the 'wait-and-see' categorie or does it need immediate medical attention or if we can wait and see if it improves over the next few days?

Last edited by Trillian; June 2nd, 2008 at 03:57 PM. Reason: duplicate

I'm glad you posted this coz my 12 week old has the same. I've been putting bepanthan on it, but am not sure if I should take him to be looked at or ignore it??
    Hopefully someone can help us....

I would get it seen to when you are ready, unless it is red, inflammed etc then I would get on to it sooner.

Oskar had the same.. I did use bepanthen and I think Paw Paw ointment. Then one night I thought well doc's always cut the corner out of ingrown toenails. So after his bath one night I used my fingernail to lift his nail out of where it was ingrown and just carefully clipped the corner off and he's not had a problem with it since then. Their nails are still very soft and pliable and after a bath even moreso. Hope this helps Oh and BM won't be doing it any harm either!

Thanks Deirdre and Cass, his toe looks a bit better this morning. I will keep applying breast milk and keep an eye on it. We have to go to the MHCN today for his vaccinations so I will ask her opinion too. How is your little boy going Skye?

Honestly - not too sure. It looked a bit better las night, but forgot to check this morning. Will when he wakes up though. He wore jamies & socks last night instead of a bonds suit, so the socks stayed on when I changed him & I didn't even think about it. Oops.