Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ivy learns why boys are boys...

tiggy Guest

Default Ivy learns why boys are boys...

Ivy has discovered that Noah has an added appendage...down below!

She was fixated on it all through bathtime and even had a tug or two (Noah didn't mind at all).
    It was pretty funny and cute the way she looked at it and then looked down towards her own. I think the penny finally dropped that they are not the same human being, they are seperate entities!

My only worry is that it will become a habit and never having had a boy/girl pair I don't really know what to expect.
    Anyone out there with a boy and a girl gone through something similar and how did you cope? Did they eventually grow out of 'inspecting' each other?

Aww how cute! My poor bro - he was having a bath with another little girl when they were maybe 2 or 3? Anyway, the little girl was jealous that she didn't have one.. so decided he shouldn't have one either and tried to bite it off!! Mum said the shriek that came from the bathtub was incredible! LOL. Anyway - she missed.. and he had teeth marks just above it. LMAO.

I think the curiosity is very natural... I know older siblings often ask why the new baby is different. I wouldn't worry too much just yet.. there's nothing dirty in it at that age

Aw Tiff that's pretty cute!!!

tiggy Guest

Yeah, I'm not too worried...YET! LOL Liz that the bite marks were above the intended target! I bet your brother felt lucky that day!

B456 - My girls got in trouble at school for calling it a vagina! I was halled up to the office to discuss it! I was mortified when I found out what it was all about, because they used the correct terminology!!! Bloody hell. In our house and living with a midwife for a mother things like that are discussed as a normal part of life (which it is). It's not my fault if the offended mother had taught her daughter that her vagina was a 'twinkle', now, is it?

ETA; All my girls inspected their own girly bits and Noah is lovingly known as 'Scruncher' for his little wanderings during nappy change and nappy off time. Also I do remember when they were around the three year old stage openly discussing why boys (Daddies) and girls were different.

Thanks Carrie, yeah, I thought it was pretty cute too and had a bit of a giggle with DH tonight but you know, you just worry over the little things somedays.
    Last edited by tiggy; December 19th, 2006 at 08:58 PM.

my b/g twins discovered that they have different bits when they were around ivy and Noah's age. We just didn't make a big deal about it. Its just a natural thing, and so innocent. Even now they grab at each other, and when they do we just shift the attention elsewhere to something else. They think its hilarious!
    just go with the flow with this one!
    HTH

tiggy Guest

Thanks Odette,

Will definately go with the flow!

Wow at people being offended by the word vagina! Sheesh.

I actually heard that children NEED to know the proper names should anything inappropriate happen to them (heaven forbid) because they need to be able to say where they were touched (or something like that anyway). Correct me if I'm wrong! And sorry.. bit morbid. But I think it's only appropriate that they learn the proper names anyway, or they end up all awkward and giggly like me trying to say it! LOL.

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

very cute lol - I wonder what two boys will do.

Oh Trish - I'm sure they'll have size comparisons, and peeing competitions galore! LOL

Tiggy, I'd say its fine... all very innocent

As to calling a vagina a vagina its actually a safety measure too apparently it can empower an abuser for a child to call it a childish name (ie. Flower, hoohar, mickey, fanny etc). And there have been awful stories about parents not knowing what their children mean because they didn't use the right terminology and they went abused unnoticed. We have vagina's and penis' in this house... Paris has no idea of any other names.

*hugs*
    Cailin

At school when we teach Child Protection we have to teach the kids the correct names as part of the unit. Its as stated previously, so that in cases of sexual abuse children can be very specific about what has happened. You do have some funny moments with the kindies though, I had a little boy who told me that girls have volvos!!( You do all the areas not just the penis and vagina)

Silvia Guest

It's vagina and Penis in our house that way it should be, it was funny when Reny and Reth found out what was the difference between them and Rory.
    We explained and then Reny said "Yeah but daddy's is bigger!" and Reth said "No daddy's not bigger it's hugiiiie!" (Nudity is not a problem in our house) But that was indeed funny, Memories!!!

And now Reth says "Daddy has a penis and mummy has a vagina"

tiggy Guest

Cai, thanks - I'm sure you understand my fears.
    Same in this house, penis and vagina all round, no strange names.
    MrsMac, school musn't have taught child protection when my girls started school, they were up in arms about the whole vagina thing.

Trish - Oh I think it will be fun times in you house in a couple of years. THey might have 'how far up the wall can you get it competitions' !

Tiff, Tehya and Noah quite often have baths together and there has been many a time where she has given "it" a good yank. Tehya grabs with both hands on either side of herself and says "many many many" it's too cute. Yes we call it a fanny and a doodle here. I guess just because that's what I was brought up with.

I don't stress about the touching I just tell Tehya to leave it alone. But she is older than Ivy too as is Noah.

Trish, from experience I can tell you that peeing comps are to be expected. Although, my brothers used to do it and not to be outdone I joined in. Apparently I could be as good as the boys

tiggy Guest

LOL Trish - you crack me up!!!! I can just imagine wall comps with a girl involved!
    When AJ and Mal moved in with us, Lily decided that she wanted to be a boy too and was often caught outside piddling in the garden with AJ! It's all good fun, isn't it?

Shhh just don't tell anyone

With regards to using names. Are you all using vagina to refer to the whole genital area, or do you explain that it just the inside part? I have always been funny about the word vagina being used to encompass the whole female genital area, or am I just going to confuse things for Maggie if I am particular about naming?

I would only call it a vagina not the whole other names. I think that would only confuse her more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast