Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Johnsons Baby Oil

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by AliBaby View Post
    i got so many j & j products from people...
    it's not just the bottles and tubes either

the supermarket baby wipes are a mindfield too, the levels of fragrance in the "fragrance free" ones! 99% of the brands use propylene glycol. One brand that doesn't, uses sodium laureth sulphate.
    the only one i will use (sparingly) is the Nature Babycare Wipes.

even if you are using disposable nappies, to clean your baby's bottom, with a wet facewasher (just water) is so much safer.

if you can't face the thought of poo on facewashers, just do it with the wee nappies.

you'll save heaps of money, and there will be less chemicals on your baby's bottom.

and the amount of chemicals in disposable nappies! OMG, don't get me started!

poor babies!
    all this stuff that is marketed so aggressively to new parents
    we assume that's it's illegal to sell products that are dangerous to baby's - how i wish that were the case!

The midwife at the hossy suggested if baby gets nappy rash or is sensitive from wipes just getting a big roll of disposable chux cloths and wet with water, these can then be washed in the machine or just chucked out and arent too expensive and good for bub's bottom! I thought that was a good idea

Oh I didn't know Olive Oil wasn't good. Haven't used any yet but I'd read it was the best thing to use.
    I was reading the thread on Baby Massage.

What about the GAIA baby massage oil??

A pure oil that has been formulated in consultation with therapists from the Infant Massage Australia, who advise that pure sweet almond oil is all you need to massage your baby with.
    Our sweet almond oil is combined with a hint of certified organic lavender and certified organic chamomile pure essential oils to provide you with a beautiful oil to use on your newborn, baby and toddler.
    GAIA Natural Baby Massage Oil is mineral oil free so it will absorb beautifully into your baby's skin and wont clog pores or cause irritation.
    Our beautiful massage oil can be used on your skin as well and will completely absorb leaving you with a gorgeous glow and NO greasy residue.
    Sound ok?

Sesame and almond oil worry me as they are allergens. My DD is allergic to almonds, so I wouldn't use it if you have allergies of any sort in your fam. Im using Olive Oil as I've been told by my kenisiologist its' the best thing to use. xo

almond oil is OK , and as for allergens , well anything can be allergens last night i fed my consiptated DD prunes and her lips and the area around them swelld up and became very red !! ...

i have studied Infant massage and in a week or so about to become certified in teaching infant massage .. I will try dig up my notes on oils ...

seeing as GAIA is organic cold pressed almond oil , its fine to use , but the ess oils arent necessary .. but its not going to harm any one kwim ... if thats what you got than , use it .. at least you know its safe ...

Wow.. I had no idea.

I was given so much J&J stuff. I had no idea it was bad, it was given to me by other parents, so I've been using the shampoo and lavendar baby bath.

It's kind of scary how something like that can be marketed and make people believe its okay..

What would be a better approach for those two.. They're the only J&J products I have. I only ever used those two and the soothing naturals cream.

I feel so bad now for not knowing.

Tam, I don't think they're necessarily bad. (The baby oil and powder are bad news IMO, but the soaps are ok.) It is only that they contain fragrances that can irritate sensitive skin. If your baby's skin doesn't react badly to it, then it should be fine - that's my take on it anyway.
    My daughter gets eczema on her chest and shoulders and the J&J fragrances really set her off. We use GAIA wash instead and it seems far more gentle on her skin. I get that from the supermarket. It's not cheap but I don't use much at a time and it's readily available.

Thats kind of a little relief.

I have the oil and powder, but I've never used them. I always was worried about DD inhaling the baby powder, so it got relocated to the not used shelf. The baby oil was under doctors orders for cradle cap, but I could never bring myself to use it. The cradle cap went away naturally anyway.

Thinking about it though, I might use something more natural when we have another one til they're a bit older.

For the cradle cap, Moogoo is a winner! (All natural stuff, available online. Good for eczema too.) Course as you say, if it doesn't bother them there's no reason why you have to bust your butt to get rid of it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12