Thread: Jolly Jumper

Default Jolly Jumper

Hi y'all!!

Does anyone know if there are any guidelines out there in 'guideline world' about a time limit that your child can be in a jolly jumper for? Just wondering if there is any evidence that spending hours on end is bad for hips or anything?

Bought DS one and he loves it, but I only put him in it once a day and it is normally only for about 15 or 20 minutes while the news is on. He loves it to bits and I am sure I could leave him there for hours if it weren't for him getting tired (he actually fell asleep it in once...was very cute!).

Thanks gals!

I pop Zyon in his & might vaccum around him, or do dishes so yeah about 20mins..

I guess you could do it in morning & again in afternoon... There will always be for & against...
    I think it's best for mummy to decice!? ;-)

My mum told me they're getting banned!!????
    Don't know if they're is any truth to it thought. I hope not as mine is still on layby - i know i loved mine to bits too, so i hope they stick around.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Tracey View Post
    I think it's best for mummy to decice!? ;-)

i agree with your quote!!!

maddy had one and LOVED it, but only had in it for 20mins a day!!

I remember my younger brother was still in it at about 18 months or so. And mum used to get the mirror down and stand it in front of him. It was amazing watching the change between him trying to play with the other little boy and then watching him sort of understand that it wasn't somebody else. And then he'd clap and giggle at himself all the time!

I have no idea (good question). I would guess as long as it is set at a satisfactory height (i.e. just allowing feet to reach the floor), it would be good for little leg muscle development?

Well actually, now that you mention it, I was told when I got it to make sure it is set so that they aren't on tippy toes all the time, as this was why they banned some baby walkers a while back. Apparently they need to be able to bounce flat footed.

Anyone else heard this or want to dispute it?

I heard exactly the same thing about them bouncing flat footed so they don't learn to balance on tippy toes. I put Livvy in hers once a day (not everyday) for about 20 mins. Doesn't seem to be doing any harm plus she just loves it.

Hi we had a podiatrist come to our mums group and she said not ideal but ok in moderation as too much can affect hip development so the 20 mins a day is fine, plus the flat footed thing too as have any of you seen kids that walk on their tip toes? this is what happens when they spend too much time on tip toe like in baby walkers.

This was current info as it was about 4 weeks ago.

Even after listening to her say they are not the best I still want one, does anyone know where I can buy one, I live in country Vic and neither Target or Kmart had them from what I could see. Do baby shops have them?

Baby shops usually have them, you may be able to buy one online. Riley loved his and would have stayed in it for ages if we'd let him!

well I had my 1st in it all the time dont remember the excated amount of time as it was 7yrs ago, but he loved it.
    DD1 hated it so it was never used and she had a walker and DD2 didn't use it as the heat had ruined the elastic so she too had a walker, but DS walked on his own at 11mth started to walk the furnture at 9mths DD1 didnt try to walk until 12mths and DD2 was 14mths Now I have no idea if it was because of the walker that my girls were slower to walk but I think when we have a 4th that baby will be having a jollie jumper if I can still by them.

kungfubecca i got mine from target - even if you have a target 'country' store they should be able to order one from a melbourne store for you.

Ebay also has them....

I also think flat footed is whaty the box says...

A friend was told by her paediatrician 5 minutes was all that is safe to do at each time. That being said, I put Noah in it for about 20 mins but once I was on a spring cleaning mission and he happily stayed in it for an hour. But yes feet flat on the ground at all times. (except in mid bounce )

Olivia and Charlie and Lexie would happily stay in forever........I wasn't overly concerned on timings to be honest......but probably 30 mins max.......probably longer than "they" say, but none of them have any hip or tippy toe issues............

I know Big W sell them too, I saw them there on Saturday.

Oh I will try Big w next. I looked everywhere in Target and nothing. It's a regular target store and Bendigo isn't that small so I would think they should have them.

Hey Becca,
    Our Target has them - right next to the cots and carseats I was looking on Sunday. I am waiting for the sales to buy one, or might suss out some on ebay. I'll need a stand too, as we don't have door frames in useful spots

A friend of mine has a "tippy toed" 7yo son, possibly from extended Jolly Jumper use - he has had to have plastered legs etc to fix the problem. I will definitely be limiting my DDs use to about 20 minutes a day, but I just know she is going to love it - she wants to be upright ALL day...