Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jumping on Beds & Other Such Naughtiness

Yep like pants down in the cubby house!!!!

Balls at the moment yes, but later on no as things can be broken. We were never allowed either.

With guns yes, I don't see a problem with it at all personally. Have you seen this article that was in this month's newsletter? At the botto it talks about violent toys....

blowing in the milk - why not
    water fights in the house - that's what the outdoors is for
    jumping on beds - Yasin loves it but I worry about the safety so I let him but only for a little while and only occasionaly
    days off school - only for special occasions and outings. I look forward to suprising my boys with the occasional day at the beach or trip to the zoo similar instead of school
    throwing balls inside - I hope DH grows out of it before he breaks something
    running inside - if you need to get somewhere why walk
    hanging off the clothes line - I still do it rofl
    guns - my sister gave Yasin his first water pistol recently. I was taught to use a gun by my parents and I think that I will teach my boys how to use them. I'm a not big guns freak but my parents really drilled the safety aspects of handling firearms into me and I would like to know that my boys know how to handle guns safely instead of taking the risk that they will be around them one day and handle them unsafely and have a tragic accident.
    Last edited by Phteven; February 1st, 2007 at 09:15 PM. Reason: I left out the 'not' in front of guns freak rofl

throwing balls inside - I hope DH grows out of it before he breaks something
    thats hilarious

Things I am funny about:

Manners (worlds biggest nag over here... but people compliment my children often on their manners)
    Jumping on furniture
    Sitting on Tables

I don't really have a problem with guns... but it depends on how they are used... I don't mind water pistols and I guess if toy guns were used I wouldn't mind because I think bad vs. good is important in game play. Its like bratz, I would die if Paris dressed like those dolls. But we've had those conversations, and she agrees that the clothes are a bit too revealing and wouldn't look nice on a little girl. But she still plays with them because she thinks they are cool looking for a doll. And the same would go for Seth and guns IMO there is no difference between a kid playing cowboys and indians, cops and robbers or spiderman vs dr octopus... the only difference between the three is that we associate the bow and arrow as violent, the gun as violent... but what can you ban with the last one their imagination? Kids will be kids! Its not about the toys or what kids play but how we as parents interact and educate our children. If Paris is playing in a way that concerns me we discuss it, and even if she's playing in a way I'm happy with we discuss it.

Anyway a bit OT but I just had to throw that one in

*hugs*
    Cailin

Cai we are very similar Manners are an absolute must for me & Zander knows that already. Lounge jumping is totally out, but beds are ok for me. Sitting on tables is also out, but sitting on the bench to help cook is ok when they're little.

Manners are definately a must and they sound so cute. Yasin says teeta and it makes me go all squishy.

My sis and i were jumping from bed to bed when we were kids and she slipped and cut her head open on the corner of the bedside table. There was blood EVERYWHERE and I had to follow her around and clean it up while mum iced her head and called the doc!

I have a general rule about no jumping on the couches, but then today Ash and jaiden (11 months) somehow started a game involving taking the cushions off the couch and hiding under them and then ash dragged out blankets and hid and jaiden would try to find her and they were hysterical and it was too cute to bother stopping them!

Mum was the same with days off school, not so much primary but high school. Because she let us take a day off every now and then we didn't abuse it because we respected her for letting us have that option. My sis and I both did great at school and never needed to be pushed to achieve what we wanted to.

Ashlea and I often throw rules and routine out the window, some nights we drag the tv into the bathroom and watch a show while in the bath eating icey poles together

Or we'll start painting or something and end up painting each other until everyone and everything is filthy

If im in the right frame of mind i dont mind us making a huge mess and then having to clean it up, but if i have alot on my mind or am busy or stressed then i wont do it

OOOH YES Manners... Indah says peas, so cute & Tank coo...

My girlfriend i sthe totall opposite her kids spit inside, punch, kick, bite take a piece of food & walk throughout the house eating, spitting & spilling it everywhere, they leave half eaten food & cups of drink all over the place...

They do use the manner words & are not allowed to say 'bum'... It is toosh & not to be anything else!

Indah taps on her bum & says bum, bum, bum!!!
    My girlfriend tells me off for letting her use such a word... I just look at her in disbelief as her kids have no idea how to sit down eat & put dishes in sink etc they are 9 & 7!!!!

I hate food in bedrooms & so do not allow any child to take food out of our lounge/kitchen area unless it's outside, I also ask them to either sit up at the table or they can sit at the lounge coffee table...

People all parent differently & I have never once said to her "your kids are pigs!" But I dont let them take food into the bedrooms...

* Jumping on beds - My Kids always jump on my bed. Our mattress is stuffed anyway, so we don't mind and quite often attack them on Sundays then have a mass play fight on the bed. ..... Jumping on lounge however is defintely not on.

* Blowing bubbles in milk - This definitely happens in our house, but when the noise starts to drive me insane then I ask them to drink it properly LOL.

* Water fights in the house - Nope no water fights in our house, and we are fully lino. If the floor is wet you can guarantee Lachlan will find the wet spot, split and hurt himself so water fights is outdoors only.

* Days off school - I never was allowed a day off just for the sake of it, but I have plenty of friends who do let their kids have days off. I will probably be like my mum and make the kids goto school

Love

I hope I'm a fun mummy too!!!

Thinking back, there were a lot of un-fun rules in our house, even though when we're all at home now, it seems like the funnest place ever, and my Mum is a very 'young-at-heart' person now.
    Some of our rules from childhood:
    - no singing at the table (WTF????)
    - no sitting on the benchtops
    - no jumping down the stairs (admittedly, I did this all the time, including the night of my formal, dressed up to the nines with my partner at the bottom of the stairs waiting for me ... and jumped a bit too high, smacking my head really hard on the overhanging mezzanine floor thingy)
    - definitely, definitely no days off school ... EVER! Even if we were sick, we would get 2 panadol put in our lunchbox and sent off to school. I often wonder if this is why I got to work when I am sick now, even if I've gotten out of bed and thrown up with a migraine, I will take a couple of aspirin and go to work. Crazy lady I am

One thing which Mum used to let me do, which constantly surprised me, was after I came home from a walk/jog/tennis (in late high school) she would enocurage me to jump in the pool, fully clothed, to cool off. I loved it!!

LOL, Cherie, we had no singing at the table, no elbows on the table, no arguments at the table (or else I had to eat alone in the conservatory), no being rude at the table (or else I would eat alone again)... my dad was strict with table things.

Oddly enough, if I wanted a day off to skive school that was usually OK, but if I were ill then my mum wouldn't even give me the drugs for my lunchbox! Or take me to hospital for a broken arm. (See me now, completely anti-drugs and have to be ordered home from work because I collapse LOL.) I think this was because when I was younger and ill my mum had other people to think about, but when I was older and wanted a day off I could just look after myself at home.

How great is this, its making me reminise.
    I grew up with 3 sisters oldest are twins, then another sister, then me. My parents were strict with sum things and fun with others, but I like their parenting style and Im gonna parent the same way.

Jumping on beds-No but we do wrestle.
    Swinging on the clothes line-Absolutely, we did it , 1 girl on each corner, the 'hills hoist' was totally balanced so it never got lopsided, dad would spin us really fast.
    Blowing bubbles in the milk-Isnt that what milk is for?
    Water fights inside-No, outside is fine though, watermelon seed fights in summer are good fun, see who can spit the furtherest. We used to throw buckets of ice water on each other in the shower also.
    Balls inside-Depends where,if its safe. We had a long hall growing up and we used to play dodgeball, marbles and sometimes 'baby' cricket down it.
    Manners are a big YES. Xander doesnt get anything without a please or thankyou.
    Days off school are a big NO. Nick was a terrible 'wagger', and I dont want my boys to have any leeway with days off incase they turn out like him.LOL

* Jumping on beds - NO WAY. My niece has quite a nice scar between her eyebrows as a result of doing just this. Her and her sister were jumping on their mum's bed and she fell, hit her head and split it open. There was blood everywhere and it was quite a traumatic experience for her and especially for my older niece, who was covered in blood and really distressed.

* Blowing bubbles in milk - why not? I don't see a problem with this at all. Don't all kids do it?

* Water fights in the house - no way. I'm another one that has tiles everywhere and it is just waaaaay too dangerous. My DD has actually slipped over when the floor has still been a little wet from mopping it. Water fights are for outside.

*Days off school - I'm pretty flexible on this one. As long as it didn't happen too often, I'd let her stay home. BUT I think faking the illness is part of the fun and I'm sure my mum always knew!! LOL!

Lol Fletch! At least i'm not the only member of the fun police!!! And yep - i think we will have other things to worry about later on (PMSL at Trace's comment )

Jillian, it is funny how little boys are so often drawn to guns isn't it. I read somewhere and kind of agree that making them out of sticks etc is an act of imagination but a toy gun can't really be imagined to be anything else.

Chloe, my sister is ALWAYS talking about that. She's a teacher (from birth to Yr 3) and she hates the toy kitchens etc, cos it means they don't use their imaginations. She much prefers blocks & things like that where they have to use their imagination. As a result Zander has loads of blocks etc

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12