Thread: long car trip with 11 week old....

Default long car trip with 11 week old....

hey there, on saturday we are driving from melbourne to sydney for christmas. we've never been on such a long trip before with ds and i'm a bit worried about how he'll go. we plan to make heaps of stops obviously but was just wondering if anyone had any tips out there on how to make the journey easier....any ideas or things we should do?? thanks

we travelled from melbourne to albury, stopped for the night then albury to batemans may which is around 5 hours, sophie was 8 weeks old but slepy vertually the whole way!! we fed when needed but if she was asleep we kept going

Hey Gracie,

We drove to South Aus when Lu was 6 weeks old. She travels really well. We just scheduled in time for a feed every three hours and a bit of play time, then on the road again. It generally worked out we needed a fuel stop then anyway. Sometimes i would sit in the back with her and entertain her for a while to stop her going straight back to sleep.
    If i let her she would just sleep the whole time in the car, then her sleep/awake cycles get a little out of wack. But she settles back to normal the next day anyway.
    DH put a camp chair in the car incase i wanted to use that but i just fed her in the front seat.

Have a wonderful chrissy, Good luck on the drive. xx

Hi Gracie,

We just arrived in Melbourne a few hours ago, drove from Sydney yesterday! We left early and then stopped overnight in Albury, then drove the rest of the way today...

My only real tip is to just stop whenever you or your bubba needs it, and take heaps of drinks and snacks in the car for yourselves. Our DD was great though! Very well-behaved! She just slept most of the time and let us know when she was hungry!!

Oh and drive safely!!

ooohhh thanks so much for your tips girls. glad to see others have done it and survived!
    we might end up stopping in albury or something for the night- i guess we'll just see how we go.
    glad you made it here safely keira!
    merry xmas everyone xo

We leave on Saturday, and drive adelaide to melbourne, with an 11 week old and a 4 and a half year old....EEEEEEEPPPPPPPP!

Just wanted to wish you all the best and a safe trip!

We drove 5hrs to see my parents when DD was 5 days old, I would get DH to stop so I could feed her but she would suck a few mins and go back to sleep. Didnt hear a peep out of her on the way back either.

It depends on the baby, I think. Be prepared for lots of stops! Luckily, babies love the car so she'll probably sleep most of the way. Just make sure you bring lots and lots of nappies and a changing matt, a bunch of blankets, hats and mittens etc (though the need for these things depends on if your car has air condition and good heating I suppose). Bring some baby panadol too, just in case. If her teeth have started decending, bring something for that too. We use bonjella on Aurelia, it says for 4+ months but my GP said it was okay to use on her at 3 months. I suspect that there are other similar products out there for younger babies.