Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lotions, Creams, etc For Baby

Melinda Guest

Luckily I just use the QV Bath Oil in the water and sorbolene on his skin then!!! Wow.....thanks for that info girls!!! You'd think a ped would know wouldn't you! LOL Clearly not!! We did it in the early days, but made the switch to the QV things.

Thank God my chemical engineering degree paid off! I thought it was mineral based, so I'm pleased (and my lecturers would be too) to know that I learnt something!
    Mum loves Avocado oil cause it doesn't have the strong flavour of olive oil - I wonder if that would be better? Or the aromatherapy type vegetable derivatives would be pretty good too.
    So interesting about J&J, and that many people have strong opinions on it! I wonder if they realise this.....?

Fi I just thought I'd mention that I was told to use avocado oil when Matilda was born because she was very overcooked & had really scaly skin, we would use alpha keri oil in the bath and then rub her down with avocado oil... and the olive oil trick worked wonders for cradle cap!

Thanks ladies for all your replies, I can`t use talc myself so I was thinking of avoiding that on bubs alltogether. Now I have such a big choice of what brand to buy.

You`ve all been such a great help.

Take Care

Deeanne

Ladies, I have a questions re nappy rash creams - Is it best to put nappy rash creams on bubs bottom at every nappy change or only put it on if required?

Take Care

Deeanne

I only use the zinc &castor oil if the bum is going a bit red. Thats why I like to use it, as it is both soothing and a barrier. I only use as needed.
    Mitchell actually hasn't had a nappy rash yet.. surprises me no end!

Dee, don't worry too much about the ins and outs. Lots of this will come to you naturally ie red bum= cream on. You will find what suits you in the end. It can be really confronting with all the choices and advice (god the whole pram thing drove me spare, I was always paranoid I would buy the WRONG one).

Love lulu

I've used it twice ever on Matilda.... so only when she's gotten a bit red.

I also only use it on Aidyn if he has a red bum... which is rarely ever!

I have found Bepanthen to work the best, and I wasn't impressed at all with the J&J nappy rash cream.

Melinda Guest

I only put it on Jacob's bottom if it looks a bit red, which it has done when he's been teething. He hasn't ever had any nappy rash as such thankfully!

I use the botty butter I mentioned each day though as it's a nice natural product that is a little bit of a barrier.

A friend sent me a sample pack of the Beauty and the Bees products from Tassie and they are brilliant (and all naturals which is a bonus). The Botty Butter was excellent and masssage oil which I also used for Hannah's cradle cap smells lovely.

I only wish I could get them to ship me some over here, apparently NZ custms wont let it in.

Thank you everyone, I think I might invest in some Botty Butter

Take Care

Deeanne

i have heard paw paw cream is a miracle when it comes to nappy rash

Has anyone tried the Jurlique baby products? I love their stuff...just not sure about their baby stuff having never used it! I was thinking of putting it on the pressie list for the baby shower....or maybe I should go with aromababy...

mooshie Guest

hi there

just thought i would let you know about a new product i have got from the chemist it is called Natural Instinct - it is fantastic they have an adults range (including washing powders and stuff) and a babys range at the moment i am using the baby body wash and the baby shampoo, it has absolutely no nasties in it and smells divine (lavender and rose etc)

as lani has ecxema i am very careful in what i use and so far this has been great, and a nice change from qv oil.

the products are around $7.95 for around 250ml, i have a few relatives due to have bubs this year and i will definately be buying some for them to go with their pressies.

Hi all,

Just wanted you to know that I have been looking at all the products in all the shops and I can't find any baby products that don't have lavender in them!
    Aromababy, Gaia and Jurlique all do, andI think all the other products have mineral type solutions in them. So you either risk reaction to lavender essential oil or mineral products.

So I've just bought some J&J cornstarch powder and their sorbelene (which I figure is the same as everyone elses Sorbolene) and I'm just going to use those for the first little while. We got given a couple of sample packs of J&J, so I can take it easy with those too.
    Shane's son had eczema, so I guess I'm going to have to watch it with this little one.

Am I right in thinking you can bathe the babies with sorbolene cream?? Not put it in the water, but use it on a facecloth??

BTW - Target has 20% of J&J until the 6th if anyone needs anything.

Fiona

Hey Fiona,

Have you had a look at the beauty & the bees baby range? I'm pretty sure that their stuff doesn't have lavender in it. We're going to be trying out some of their products on Kynan as they sound really natural and gentle.

Melinda Guest

Beauty & the Bees is who makes the 'botty butter' stuff that I mentioned. It doesn't have any lavendar in it and I don't think their other products do either.

Fi, I'm not sure about bathing with the sorbolene.... I just put it on Jacob post-bath. We are just using the QV Oil in the bath, but you really don't need anything in the bath but water!! They're not really doing much for a while to get dirty IYKWIM?! We just use it for the eczema etc. I also haven't found the need to use any powder to date. Were you looking for something specifically to put in the bath water or to bath spud with? If so, you could go for the non-soap/lavendar QV wash perhaps?

Thanks guys. I love the smell of powder, so I do want to use that if it helps. I couldn't stop sniffing the bottle last night - it just smells so good!!
    I 've had a look at the botty butter etc - I've figured out where I can get it from now, so I'll probably get some of that. I've also been reading up, and apparently paw-paw cream is great for nappy rash/barrier cream too. I've seen that in a pharmacy, so I'll have a look at that I think.

You are so right about babies not getting dirty Tootie. Shane laughs at babies being washed every day - cause they dont need it, but I guess its good for water familiarisation and routine. I'm thinking sorbolene would work a bit like cold cream for stage make-up?? Rub it on before bathing quite thick, and then wash it off with water? It seems like it would be a very gentle way to clean bubbies without the soap. I'm not sure - I'll see when spud arrives..... If that ever bloody happens!! ](*,)

Fi

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast