Thread: low iron levels

Default low iron levels

DS (13.5 months) has very low iron levels. The doc we have been seeing is really bad (I basically had to order the blood tests on suspicion that was it myself). He has said to put him back on Incremin. Has anyone elses bub had probs with their iron levels? If so what was the treatment? Did appetite improve once iron increased (I've read they are linked?)?

My 4yr old had or still does have low iron.. Other issues there as well.. incremin did nothing. and if you read the label at the back it says not for anemia or something like that. We had to use ferro liquid.. Horrible stuff. Isac drank it down though.. It didn't improve his iron levels but he has been eating more.. We stopped the ferro liquid about 3-4 months ago I think. he is due for more blood tests this coming to week to check various things and his iron levels are one of them

I would ask for refferal to a ped and go from there

Yeah Nic I read that on the incremin too. He's a hopless doc, he just said 'start him on iron supplements' and I asked 'so incremin?' and he replied 'yeah or pentavite'. But I responded saying that I don't think Pentavite actually has iron in it. He's an idiot! Will get a paed referral on Monday. DS eats virtually zero solids and refuses any meds orally so I think it's going to be a struggle getting iron into him.

Can I ask what your sons other issues are too? Are they linked to the iron?

he gets dizzy spells and headaches.. thats what made our GP check his iron levels to begin with but they now think the low iron has nothing to do with the dizziness and headaches.

he had an EEG last month.. oh Sept cus its now november isnt it? It came back clear. he is dizzy and headachy again today..

I will let you know how his iron levels go after the next lot of blood tests.. They are not sure but are trying to rue out seizures at this point.. The ped doesn't think it is that but doesn't want to say it isn't. We have another app booked for February but can take him back at any time if we are concerned