Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More sleep dramas........

Melinda Guest

Default More sleep dramas........

Here's the thing.....we are having a lot more success with Jacob's sleep BUT, he seems to want to rollover all the time. He rolls over onto his side, which is fine, but then he always ends up rolling over onto his tummy and as soon as that happens, bang, he's awake. I was up for 3 hours last night as a result........any advice?! This is pretty frustrating!!!

We had that problem at first with Matilda and it took her a few nights to get the hang of rolling etc... but unfortunately I have no other advice. It sucks so bad and just getting up to roll them over gets so frustrating! Sorry Tootie :smt102

mooshie Guest

sorry tootie

not much help here - lani still isn't rolling from back to tummy lol (i think she has skipped that stage)

i do remember with my first discussing this briefly with my gp at jessie's 6mth vaccination shots (she must of been rolling onto her front in her sleep by then) she didn't mind sleeping on her belly but i was worried about sids and gp just said she would be old enough to get herself out of trouble if she could roll on her front she could move if she was face down dunno - i do remember a funny thing we were travelling and she was sleeping in the bed with us one night in a motel and she woke up crying cause she rolled onto her belly and i just tried sticking the dummy in whilst i was half asleep and was sticking the dummy in her ear lol.

sorry not much help from me.

Melinda Guest

It's frustrating because it seems that one problem has been replaced by another.....argh. He's been rolling around for AGES but now he's started doing it in his sleep and it's just so disruptive!!

I went out and bought one of those safe 'n' sound snuggler thingies, which is like two pads on either side on his body.....will see if that helps? But then I'm worried that as soon as we stop using it, the problem will re-surface........

ragged_blossom Guest

Maybe try a hammock Toots, as I was reading about the amby hammock last night and apparently the way it's designed, means its almost impossible for bubs to roll over. Plus they don't get flat heads when they lie in a hammock.

Jeanette

Melinda Guest

I'd thought of that too Shannon, and I know that he DOES get frustrated if he can't roll over, but gets upset when he does LOL. Vicious circle!! I thought it might just be a phase and he needs to adjust to it, but it's hard work ATM.........

Jeanette - I'm reluctant to go out and make a huge purchase on a hammock at this stage. He's been in a cot for a while and I don't really want to spend a lot of money on another nursery item IYKWIM, particularly as he would have to go back into the cot eventually anyway.

Tootie, I feel for you. Does he get too upset when he wakes himself? I know this might sound hard but maybe leave him for a minute or two and he just may re settle himself. I have often gon into dd or ds straight away and found that if left for a moment they would have resettled themselves. At this age sleeping on tummy should be ok as I know pp had said they will roll out of trouble if rolling is down pat.

I put Amelia in a sleeping bag for her night sleep which she is unable to roll in. This may help with the problem of rolling. I love it at night cause I can go to bed and sleep knowing she is having a big sleep without worring about sids. Although if she started rolling in that too then I am sure I would sleep just as well. It is just sometimes comforting knowing they are ok.

What a rambler I am Tonight.
    Time for bed. I hope I made sense.

Melinda Guest

Hi Rose,

Jacob has a sleeping bag too, but he can still rollover, even when he's in that! LOL

I have tried not racing into him each time he wakes, just to see if he re-settles himself, but unfortunately, most of the time, he doesn't re-settle. Sometimes he does, and that's great, but other times his little grizzles turn into an established cry that needs our attention.

*Rachel* Guest

Hi Tootie,

We had a similar problem with Keenan - we now tuck him in tight (really tight) with a sheet over his wrap and to keep the sheet tight, I put rolled up cloth nappies at the foot and either sides where the sheet is tucked in at the edges of the cot where the matress and the cot meet - (rolled and pushed in tight so they don't come loose and can't be pulled out by Keenan)

that baby aint going anywhere! LOL

Good luck.

Melinda Guest

We're not doing all that well here.........I'm not really sure what to do.

If it's not the rolling over that wakes him up, then something else wakes him up anyway. Last night he was awake for 1.5 hours straight. Not crying, just awake. The rest of the night when he was asleep, he would be fine for say 10 - 15 minutes, then would grizzle, which would turn into a cry and would need his dummy. Then of course because he wasn't sleepy enough, as soon as the dummy came back out, he'd get upset again. So we're not doing too well.......he just can't self-settle and we're severely sleep deprived......

Tootie, I so feel for you. Sleep deprived is not good. I agree with shannon, I would try a sleep centre that will work with you for a day at teaching Jacob to re settle to sleep. My prayer are with you.

Melinda Guest

Thanks for everyone's replies. I really appreciate your support and suggestions.

Big to you Tootie.

Wish i was able to give you some advice but i don't have any.
    Kimberley used to wake at night and would sleep better in her car capsule or pram so to get a good 4 hours sleep i would put her in them but not to oftern.

Hey Tootie... huge matey... I'm really sorry to hear that you are having such a difficult time atm...

Just to let you know that I went through the exact same thing with Aidyn - he would roll onto his belly in his sleep and wake himself up! So I would be going in there 3 or more times a night to roll him back.
    He seemed to get used to it though a few weeks later, but that could be because thats the time that we started co-sleeping with him... As I could never get him back to sleep, so I would just bring him to bed with me.

Also, later on at around the age of about 7-9 months, Aidyn would wake many times a night as well (i still don't know why he was doing it!), and I was finding it SO frustrating... I ended up moving his cot right next to our bed with one of the sides off... just cause it made it easier for me to deal with him/feed him/comfort him whatever, plus I think it helped him sleep better being closer by.

And one last suggestion, if you think he is in a fair bit of pain with his teething, and its stopping him from sleeping, I have found Baby Nurofen to work wonders! I had a week of sleepless nights with Aidyn teething badly... and then first night I gave him the Nurofen he slept straight through! So maybe keep that one in mind if he seems to be in heaps of pain from his teeth?...

Best of luck and to you Toots... I hope it all settles down for you soon.

How are things tootie? Is Jacob sleeping any better? Thinking of you.

Melinda Guest

Well he's not waking quite so early in the morning, but he seems to be having some problems between 12 - 3 am. He just kind of tosses and turns and grizzles and then it turns into an established cry, but he's got his eyes closed etc......I'm not sure what to do about that one!!

Matilda did that on/off for a few weeks, we just left her unless it turned into a full on cry and soon she slept through that period. We often tried just going in and popping the dummy back in, but sometimes that would wake her up more, so we soon just left her and listened, now if she starts we close our door so we only hear her when she gets upset.

Hey Tootie,
    Hope things are seetling now and Jacob is sleeping better. Just thought I would let you know I am thinking of you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast