Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More sleep dramas........

Melinda Guest

Thanks Rose! He does seem to be sleeping a bit better these days, so it must have just been a bit of a phase that he was going through. Perhaps he was feeling a bit insecure and needed to know that we were there when he woke up? Not sure.........but yes, he seems to be doing a bit better ATM which is nice!! Thanks for asking after us!

Melinda Guest

PMSL! I was thinking the same thing after I posted that!! hehehee!!

Hi tootie,
    In regards to a sleep centre....I went to one 2 weeks ago and it was brilliant. Kayne would go to sleep for about 4 hours then wake up and not be able to self settle. I am working full time at home and was unable to concentrate due to lack of sleep - hence it was easy just to put him in bed with us.
    Well after spending a week at the sleep centre - he sleeps 10-12 hours per night. Yes he does wake during the night - but he now is able to self settle.
    I would recommend this to anyone who is having problems with their bubs sleeping. The great thing about this place is that everyone there has the same problems and no-one judges you. And you can even make new friends there.
    Good luck.

Melinda Guest

Yes, I definitely spoke too soon...........

We had a few good nights and I was lulled into a false sense of security! Anyway, we are now off to the Mother & Baby Unit to get some help with his sleep. The poor little thing is exhausted. He is always half-asleep during the night and tossing and turning, all the while whimpering/grizzling with his eyes closed, trying madly to sleep, but can't! It's heartbreaking (and tiring!)

So we've decided that since this has been going on for 2 months now, that we really need to get some help. I'm not sure when we are going, but it's soon. I hope that it helps. I know that it's silly, but I must admit that I do feel like somewhat of a failure for not being able to help him. I've tried really hard for 2 months and have managed to get him going off to sleep without much of a fuss at all (if any), but that's as far as my success has gone! I just wish I was able to do more for him. Oh well, I guess at least I can say that I've taken the steps towards getting some help for us.

Melinda Guest

Thank you SO much for that Shannon. I really appreciate your comments.

mooshie Guest

tootie

how is jacob sleeping now - what about the rolling is it all good.

i have had a bugger of a night so far lol in 1/2 hr i have had to go in around 6 times to roll lani back over, i remember you posted about this so i came looking.

lani is not well at the moment, virus with sore throat 4 more teeth cutting, constipated (she does that when she is getting teeth) and feeling downright miserable - sleeping heaps not rolling during the day but tonight rolling all over lol.

in the last few weeks i have noticed when she is asleep her head is craned right over almost like she is going to roll, i haven't had her sleeping bag on the last few nights cause her temp was up to around 39 and i have also got the vapouriser going in her room, last time i went in i rolled up a couple of hand towels and stuck them beside her - now i am worried she will pull them over her head and suffocate - and i also worry cause she is weak from her virus that she won't have the strength to get back over herself or lift her head up - she doesn't roll much at all when she is up so i am a little concerned.

guess who won't be sleeping tonight - i will be awake all night waiting and listening for every little peep.

any more suggestions on the rolling issue would be great.

mooshie, I hear you about the teething, temps and being sleep deprived. I'm sorry I can't give you any advive re the rolling but I just wanted to let you know I will be thinking of you throughout the wakeful night.

Surely they have to come through soon. It's been a month now.

Melinda Guest

Hey Michelle,

I'm sorry to hear that little Lani is so unwell! The poor little blighter! I hope she is better soon. It's awful when they're unwell isn't it.

Unfortunately I have absolutely no advice regarding the rolling over issue LOL! Jacob seems to be better on the rolling front now, in that he can do it without waking himself all the time (or at least not waking himself too much unless he belts into the cot really hard LOL). I think perhaps it is just one of those things that they kind of have to somehow work out for themselves? It's hard though and it seems to go on forever!

His sleep is very much up and down - some nights are good and if he wakes, he puts himself back to sleep (some nights he won't wake at all) but other nights are downright awful and we are in there umpteeen times. So most of the time he rolls over himself and turns around in the cot etc without too much bother, but other times he gets himself into a real pickle....hits his head really hard or gets a little stuck and gets himself frustrated and worked up, and hence ends up waking himself up properly!

His sleep is up and down during the day as well, but he is now having 2 sleeps per day.

Sorry I can't give you a quick fix......I SOOO wish I could, believe me!!! Sleep deprivation is so incredibly cruel!!

mooshie Guest

yup sleep deprivation - no wonder it is a form of toture lol.

had a terrible night last night - i gave lani a rollover around 11pm (as she had very little to eat or drink during the day) she was asleep on her tummy so i picked her up fed her turned the vapouriser off and put her sleeping bag on she went back down allright but started as i left the room - she finally went back to sleep then awake at 4am into our bed wide awake - i gathered this would happen after so much sleep the last few days she is getting better and wanted to be up ](*,) i finally gave her a bottle at 5.30am and she slept until 8am when ds came bounding in the room. i put her back down again at 9.15 and she is still asleep.

hopefully i will get her back on track cause she was doing so well with her day and night sleeping until she got this virus - they can get into some old habits sometimes after being sick -

hopefully the sleeping bag will work and she won't rollover - i am worried about it cause when she is up she doesn't roll around at all just crawls and sits lol.

anyway i am sooo tired i might go and read the paper - fingers crossed we all have a good night sleep tonight.

Melinda Guest

Yeah I think you're right, old habits re-surface when they get sick. It's hard because you've just got to do what you have to do to help them when they're sick, whatever it takes! So that usually means throwing out any sleep triggers/routines that you may have!

I hope that tonight is much better for you Michelle! I totally sympathise!

ARgh I hear you!! Matilda's been really sick with tonsilitis and then its moved into an upper respiratory infection & I've been up since 3.30am. She just can't stop coughing & it wakes her up & its awful. I finally got her back to sleep around 5.30am on top of me & I couldn't sleep so I just laid there for an hour with my eyes closed...I'm [-o< that it won't take us too long to get her back into her night routine again...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12