Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Mouldy Bath toys

  1. #1

    Default Mouldy Bath toys

    DD's bath toys (Ducks and fish - the kind that can squirt water out of them) have grown mould on the inside... it sometimes comes out when they are squirted. Does anyone know how to get rid of the mould? Or do I have to chuck out the toys and if so, how do I prevent it from happening again? I already make sure they are empty before storing them...



    TIA

    MG

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    NSW Central Coast
    Posts
    5,301

    Default

    I think I would just throw them out, mould can be really dangerous, especially for little ones. As for preventing it, sorry no advice there.

  3. #3
    morgan78 Guest

    Default

    We normally throw them out - i dont know if you could use a diluted chlorine solution maybe once a week or maybe try vinegar that seems to clean almost anything.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    6,683

    Default

    I have the same problem atm. I believe that soaking in Milton solution (the same stuff you can use for sterilising baby bottles) works a treat, so I am going to try that.

  5. #5

    Default

    Ooohhh, thanks Mantaray! I didn't really want to chuck them out... how much milton - do you know?

  6. #6
    DoubleK Guest

    Default

    id hate to have to throw away bath toys, but sometimes they just seem too yuck... i might give the Milton a go as well, i think i have some here somewhere.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    6,683

    Default

    I don't know how much, I haven't bought it yet. I'm hoping the packet instructions will have enough info. I think you probably make it up the same as for bottles.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In the middle of nowhere
    Posts
    9,362

    Default

    dare I say it, but bleach works well. Then rinse in copious amounts of clean cold water and leave in the sun for a couple of days.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ~Kim~ View Post
    dare I say it, but bleach works well. Then rinse in copious amounts of clean cold water and leave in the sun for a couple of days.
    Sun in Melb at this time of year!!! Sorry - too funny! Actually, DH also suggested the bleach. Will that take away from the colour though? I've not bleached plastic before...

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,219

    Default

    I use diluted bleach... I squeeze the toys so that they take the water into them... I haven't noticed any fading from the bleach, although around the ducks beaks there is some of the colour coming off... when they're soaking in the bleach, I use an old tooth brush to go over them properly... then I rinse the toys all off, with water.... making sure I squeeze the bleach out first, and squeeze lots of fresh water in and out of them.
    I usually let them sit on an old towel for the day, making sure to give them a squeeze everytime I pass them... then another rinse and Harrison is able to use them. We have been doing this for ages now and his toys are all fine and I haven't had to throw any out.

  11. #11

    Default

    Thanks Lisa!!! I will go hunting in my chemical cupboards to see if I have any bleach... otherwise I'll pop up to the supermarket later for some!!! How long do you leave them in the bleach for?

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,219

    Default

    I don't really need to leave them in there for too long... but this is something I have been doing for a while now so the mould isn't too bad in ours... I would leave them for 15 mins if I were you, checking probably every 5, giving the toys a shake around, then squeeze the old water out and add some new... I do it all in the bath.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,462

    Default

    I dilute Domestos (it has bleach in it) and squeeze some into the toy and leave it for a little while. I clean the outside like Lisa does with an old toothbrush, it's great for getting into the creases. I then wash it all off with hot soapy water. Hasn't hurt my DS yet

  14. #14

    Default

    I've chucked them in the past....but my mum managed to use some sort of glue to plug the holes....works a treat. She did it to two ducks and the glue has never come out/dislodged. Must find out what type of glue she used. Imagine it would have to be some sort of craft / builders glue. The only thing is they obviously won't make a 'squeak' noise anymore and the kids can't squirt water out of them which is sometimes fun to do.

Similar Threads

  1. Organising toys & toy storage help!
    By Yael in forum Nursery Planning & Baby Equipment
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: July 2nd, 2010, 03:12 PM
  2. Games for Toddlers/Pre Schoolers
    By Melinda in forum Baby & Toddler Information
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: May 31st, 2010, 01:42 PM
  3. Poos in the bath
    By Evie76 in forum Baby & Toddler General Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: January 15th, 2008, 10:47 PM
  4. Bath toys!!
    By DoubleK in forum Baby & Toddler General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: September 20th, 2007, 12:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •