Thread: Multivitamins... for under 12 months... would you?

Default Multivitamins... for under 12 months... would you?

I went to a local mothers group this morning, girls i dont really know.

Anyhow DD is having allergic reactions to something and her face is badly rashed and eyes puffy etc... anyhow apart from looking at her like she had the plague
    (no point even trying to convince people that allergies are not contagious!!!!) at one point her nose started to run a bit and one of the girls made the biggest scene....

"quick quick... eeewww her nose is running and she is about to lick it" picked her baby up (about 11 months i think) until i cleaned her nose.

Anyhow she then started to ask me if DD gets cold often, and how she has her baby on multivitamins to prevent colds and sickness...
    made me think anyone else use multivitamins with babies? I mean babies with no known medical reason to be on them, and i thought formula was full of vitamins....

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Are you breastfeeding or formula feeding? Yes formula has vitamins (about 20, breatfeeding has over 400 ingredients) but they aren't absorbed as well as breastmilk. Like all the vitamin packets say, it should never replace a balanced diet. My kids actually have In-Liven, I mix 1/4 a tsp in with nudie juice which they love and I have peace of mind knowing they have real food, whole foods, which are organic. Nothing artificially made.

From: http://www.bellybelly.com.au/articles/baby/baby-formula

LIVE FOOD vs POWDERED FOOD

Breastmilk is a ‘live’ food that contains living cells, hormones, active enzymes, antibodies and at least 400 other unique components. It is a dynamic substance, the composition of which changes from the beginning to the end of the feed and according to the age and needs of the baby. Because it also provides active immunity, every time a baby breastfeeds it also receives protection from disease. Compared to this miraculous substance, the artificial milk sold as infant formula is little more than junk food. It is also the only manufactured food that humans are encouraged to consume exclusively for a period of months, even though we know that no human body can be expected to stay healthy and thrive on a steady diet of processed food.

BREAST MILK – FATS

* Rich in brain-building omega-3s, namely, DHA and AA.
    * Automatically adjusts to infant’s needs; levels decline as baby gets older.
    * Rich in cholesterol; nearly completely absorbed.
    * Contains the fat-digesting enzyme lipase

FORMULA – FATS

* No DHA
    * Doesn’t adjust to infant’s needs
    * No cholesterol
    * Not completely absorbed
    * No lipase

Comments

The most important nutrient in breastmilk; the absence of cholesterol and DHA may predispose a child to adult heart and CNS diseases. Leftover, unabsorbed fat accounts for unpleasant smelling stools in formula-fed babies.

PROTEIN – BREAST MILK

* Soft, easily digestible whey
    * More completely absorbed; higher in the milk of mothers who deliver preterm
    * Lactoferrin for intestinal health
    * Lysozyme, an antimicrobial
    * Rich in brain and bodybuilding protein components
    * Rich in growth factors
    * Contains sleep-inducing proteins

PROTEIN – FORMULA

* Harder-to-digest casein curds
    * Not completely absorbed, so more waste, harder on kidneys
    * Little or no lactoferrin
    * No lysozyme
    * Deficient or low in some brain and body-building proteins
    * Deficient in growth factors
    * Contains fewer sleep-inducing proteins

Comments

Infants aren’t allergic to human milk proteins

CARBOHYDRATES – BREAST MILK

* Rich in oligosaccharides, which promote intestinal health

CARBOHYDRATES – FORMULA

* No lactose in some formulas
    * Deficient in oligosaccharides

Comments

Lactose is important for brain development.

IMMUNE-BOOSTERS – BREAST MILK

* Millions of living white blood cells, in every feeding
    * Rich in immunoglobulins

IMMUNE-BOOSTERS – FORMULA

* No live white blood cells or any other cells.
    * Has no immune benefit

Comments

Breastfeeding provides active and dynamic protection from infections of all kinds Breastmilk can be used to alleviate a range of external health problems such as nappy rash and conjunctivitis.

VITAMINS & MINERALS – BREAST MILK

* Better absorbed
    * Iron is 50-75% absorbed
    * Contains more selenium (an antioxidant)

VITAMINS & MINERALS – FORMULA

* Not absorbed as well
    * Iron is 5-10% absorbed
    * Contains less selenium (an antioxidant)

Comments

Nutrients in formula are poorly absorbed. To compensate, more nutrients are added to formula, making it harder to digest.

ENZYMES & HORMONES – BREAST MILK

* Rich in digestive enzymes such as lipase and amylase.
    * Rich in many hormones such as thyroid, prolactin and oxytocin. Taste varies with mother’s diet, thus helping the child acclimatise to the cultural diet

ENZYMES & HORMONES – FORMULA

* Processing kills digestive enzymes
    * Processing kills hormones, which are not human to begin with
    * Always tastes the same

Comments

Digestive enzymes promote intestinal health; hormones contribute to the biochemical balance and wellbeing of the baby.
    Last edited by BellyBelly; July 9th, 2008 at 03:01 PM.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

PP - I don't really have any advice, but just wanted to give you guys a cos that was bloody rude of that mother, and if I had been there I probably would have smacked her out.

Some people just have to go out of their way to make you feel like a freak or something.
    FFS, its just snot.. not poison.

DS isn't on vitamins though, but I have been thinking about it. He's not on toddler milk, and not eating because he is sick - but he's sick because he goes to day care, not because he doesn't take his vitamins.. if that makes sense.

I'm with Mel - talk about a drama queen LOL

I would take a holistic approach to it and look at the picture. Is she sleeping and eating well? I wouldn't rely on formula to take care of it for me - not even the ones with all the added *goodies* in it I have been giving my kids In-Liven as well till they realised what I was doing and refused to drink their milkshakes LOL - not I use a different probiotic. I also give it (in-liven) to my nearly 10mth old to help his immune system kick into gear as well as some Brauer's Recovery tonic and I find that has been working well for us. I'm adverse to giving kids OTC multi vitamins as you don't know exactly what they are deficient in and you may accidentally OD them (yes, you can OD on vitamins with serious consequences) Probiotics are different however as they put good bacteria back into the gut, and when you consider that 80% of the body's bacteria live there it makes sense to start with that.

Kelly - DD is on FSCM not formula - but because we are unsure what is causing these allergic reactions she is going back to infants formula today. (has been on cows milk (1 cup) for about 7 weeks). She wont go back to breastfeeding as i coldnt phsyically handle supporting her and being 6 months pregnant as well at the moment. but thank you for the info
    Gudism ! - yes i know.. i dont think i will go back next week. maybe you need to be my over-it at 38 weeks preg hormonal body guard lol but i understand what you mean that A gets sick from day care not from lack of vitamins

Trillian - DD is on a great all round diet, only had 1 cup of cows milk at night (as 1 serve of her dairy intake). and has lots of fresh fruit, veges, wholegrains and meat during the day. sleeps 12 hrs overnight and 1 x 2 hr day nap. so i would say she is very healthy.

moving back to formula was suggested by the dr as we are unsure what is causing her reactions and they didnt happen when she was on formula and not cows milk. I have to cut out all dairy for 6 weeks to make sure it isnt one of them tipping her over the edge... i have no idea what to give her i am REALLY dont want to go back to 3 cups a day of milk!

Hi pp,

I know how you feel. There is a woman at my mothers group who behaves the same. At the slightest hint of a sneeze she is running with her kid a million miles in the opposite direction. It is very frustrating.

On the issue of multivitamins in under 12 months, I can't say that I would advocate it... Considering the primary source of nutrition in children under 12 months is breastmilk or formula, I would be inclined to think that is enough to satify their needs. Besides, aren't their a heap of additives in things like multivitamins like colours and sugars? I know Vitamin C can be harmful to tooth enamel...

Was the formula you were originally using based on cow's milk protein? If so then I would say it unlikely that her having cows milk is the problem. This year is just really bad for general unwell-ness - my kids never normally get sick and this year they have copped the lot which is very unusual for them and it is really frustrating.

trillian - she was on s26 gold. and i explained this to the dr and although she is unsure it would be dairy (i really doubt it)... she wants to do an elimination diet to be sure .
    I think it is a combination of being sick with colds for the past 2 months and teething.... but hey i guess i need to be sure