Thread: Music for a newborn

Default Music for a newborn

Does a newborn need music when going to sleep?

Ethan spent his first week in the Special Care Unit and there were lights on, people speaking, and a radio that was above his humidicrib - so he is used to noise and lights.

He still sleeps well but just wondered whether he needed music in his room and whether I should be playing it when I put him down for a sleep.

Hi Lynn, I don't think music is needed, but it can't hurt to play it either. I play a CD in my DS's room for some white noise while he sleeps. My older DS can be very noisy around the house so I put on the music to try and keep a constant noise going. If your DS is sleeping happily without music, then I guess you don't need it!

We use music during the day...the same reason as Trish, to keep a constant noise going so that it any sudden bangs or crashes happen, they aren't so obvious!

You dont "need" it but certainly if you want it then why not. I have a radio on in DS room 24/7 as it's constant & erratic noise....so I dont stress about the noise I make around the house. It also helped playing a cd of soft music to get him from one sleep cycle to the next early on.

Thanks guys. Ethan does sleep through pretty much everything (even the dogs barking!) but sometimes he does wake up during a sleep so maybe it is from a loud noise. I guess that having constant noise on it would drown out any loud noises. I will see how it goes. Thanks!

Mozart..... or Korn.
    My DD is six and she still sleeps through pretty much anything - i played quite a variety of music when she was in the womb and when she was born - still do.

we alternate between bach, mr bungle, mozart, sepultura, etc..... i think that paints the picture!!

and she has an amazing appreciation of music - in the string group at school but rocks on to nine inch nails

I know my SIL has the radio playing for her youngest bub all the time, we haven't done that, but DS absolutely LOVES music - any type - jungle beats etc... I don't know if he would fall asleep to any though cos he likes to groove to it too much!!!!! He used to fall asleep to Ministry though in the car (when he was screaming we used "Lies lies lies" to drown him out and he used to fall asleep!! success!! haha!!)

HA! tool is also great for getting little ones to sleep

oh yeah totally!!!!! and Maynard's new band - puscifer.. have you heard them?!? bloody brilliant!!! he falls asleep to that too..

i have it, but yet to get into it v is for.... 2 more listens and im sure ill be hooked - one of those things.... i doubt that this was the sort of stuff lyn was looking for though!

tea party......

Hi Lyn

Ethan doesn't sound like he needs much to help him sleep... and although he doesn't need the music, it can't hurt either

I'm a little bias because I'm a music teacher - and a lot of my work is with little people.
    When I was pg with Luke, I made sure he listened to a lot of different music whilst in the womb... I had a lay down at the same time every day (even if it was only a minimal rest).. and played the same piece of Mozart at that time everyday.

I find now, even 9yrs on, that if he is being particuarly hypo or full on that by putting that piece on it seems to calm him!
    When he was a toddler, it definately settled him, so it was a great thing to be able to use.

Luke still goes to sleep every night to music - its a part of his life that I believe to be vital - and depending on the night, he'll listen to anything from Bach to Eric Clapton to Andrea Bocelli to the Spongebob Squarepants soundtrack

It is most definatley beneficial for kids at any age to listen to music on a regular basis... and get that music appreciation started as soon as possible!

I find if kids grow up with different genres they maintain their appreciation for it, even when they hit their teens and they start listening to anything thats going...

Grab him a little CD player for his room and experiment each night with different styles.. you may find that he'll recognise what he likes all on his own, and you'll notice it with his sleeping, and his ability to settle etc at bedtime.... That was certainly the case with Luke

Thanks guys for your suggestions. So do I put the music on until he is asleep and then turn it off or just let the cd play until the end. Also if he is already settled when I put him to bed, should I put the music on?

our kidlets will have music on all the time - i can't sleep without it so they'll have to put up with it! i grew up with parents that were taxi drivers, so the phone would ring at odd hours - the only way i could make sure i didn't get woken up with every phone call was to put music on - then i went to uni, and my room was behind the main door 70 odd people used to get in and out of the building, so music was a must then too! now it's too quiet out here, and i can't settle cos i'm waiting for something to go BANG in the night - for the dogs to bark, or for DH to get home at night - with music, i sleep better - so our kidlets will get the same exposure...

we have fairly eclectic music taste, so they'll be exposed to a little bit of everything too!

Lynn, I just put my DS's CD on repeat so it plays the whole time he is asleep during the day.

Trish do you put it on at night too?

Hi again Lynn, I don't play the CD at night because the house is pretty quiet while we are all asleep. I really only play it during the day to help buffer noise from all the activity going on. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to play music o'night though!

During the day we put the CD on repeat, as it's what he goes to sleep with. So when he wakes from a sleep cycle it's the same as when he went to sleep.
    We don't play CD's at night but we do put the radio on a bit lower, he just seems to like the constant noise & sleeps much better.
    If we go out & know we will be putting him to sleep at someone elses place til we are ready to head home, we take our ipod & small speakers....easy to take & he can have the music there also & settles much better.

Thanks everyone - these suggestions have been great. I am going out today to buy him a little stereo!