Thread: My baby has thrush ......is it my fault?

Default My baby has thrush ......is it my fault?

Just got back from clinic. Soph has thrush in mouth. Im fully breastfeeding. Ive just been reading a bit up on it and i feel like im to blame - is it cause i didnt wash my hands properly, or im not poisitioning right when i feed?

Does it just go away? Do i need to see a doc if it gets worse?

Hey mbear - no it is not your fault. Sometimes it can happen, especially if you have taken antibiotics. I really don't see how positioning could cause it.

What have you been advised to do so far? It will not go away without treatment and as you are breast feeding you will need to treat yourself as well.

I have listed treatments etc in previous posts. I will post again when I find them.

Aw mbear - dont feel that it is your fault! It is very common & can be caused by different things. I used the daktarin gel, just put it on Emma's dummy & on my nipples at the end of each feed. I'm a bit surprised your MCHN didn't give you any advice... :-k

Conventional remedies
    • Daktarin Oral Gel*– for babies mouth, can be put on nipples and other objects that go into babies mouth – more pleasant for baby than Nilstat
      Nilstat oral drops * - for babies mouth, can be put on nipples and other objects that go into babies mouth – warning it is yellow and can stain
      *Problem - needs to be held in mouth to work well, can’t really get baby to do that
      Canesten cream - for nipples
      Nilstat oral tablets – for mum, requires prescription
      Diflucin oral tablets – for mum, can be difficult to convince chemist to sell it to you

Natural Remedies
    • Priobiotics – eg Inner health plus powder wiped through babies mouth, tablets taken orally by mum
      Liquid Chlorophyll – wiped in mouth – rebalances natural flora of mouth, can also be wiped onto nipples – generally found in the health food section
      Problems - Some Chemists are not sympathetic or understand them, whilst others will encourage them over conventional treatments.Candida diet – good for mum, basically eliminating the things that help thrush to grow – Google for more info, or see a naturopath.
      Tea Tree oil – use to clean items, and put in washing. Careful of allergies though, do not use direct on babies skin unless tested

Conventional – Old fashioned
    • Gentian Violet – baby’s mouth and mum’s nipples
      Had to find, and as with natural remedies, some are not sympathetic to their use.
      Works well, but not attractive.
      A study as found it carcinogenic in rats – your call whether you find that relevant
      Glycerine – often used on babies dummies and other things that go into baby’s mouth.

Around the house
    • Laundry – if concerned or it stubborn, use something like a Canesten rinse or tea tree oil. A hot wash or hot dryer can help kill thrush in clothing, nappies etc
      Dummies/nipple shields. – Boiling water for 5 minutes and try glycerine, replace regularly

Breastmilk/expressing
    • Do not use any expressed milk, as this may reintroduce thrush. Ensure all equipment is sterilised well. Ok to express and use the milk if using on the same day.

i tip i was given from the chemist was avoid Miltons sterilising tablets or liquid, as the Miltons doesn't kill the trush bacteria, so to use something else.

ETA: i found this leaflet I was given by my MCHN.

Thrush is more likely to develop if either mother or baby has been treated with anibiotics, the mother;s diet is high in sugar, the mother has diabetes, or the mothers resistance is low due to fatigue or other health problems.

Some clinicians believe diet may also have a role to play. They recommend avoiding sugar and sugar contianing foods and beverages and alcohol. They sometimes suggest that food and drinks containing yeast are avoided as well. Including natural plain yoghurt or lactobacillus capsules in the diet may be beneficial.

Hygiene - Hands; wash carefully after treating the baby, changing nappies and going to the toilet. Bras, nursing pads and nappies; should be soaked in Napisan and handwashed separately. Bras and nursing pads should be changed frequently.

Dummies - Boil for 5 minutes daily. Replace after 1 week. Silicone is preferrable to rubber. Avoid use if possible.

Comfort measures during treatment - To help speed relief, try rinsing the nipples with clear water and air dry after each feed as thrush thrives on milk and moisture.
    * offer short frequent feeds
    * nurse first on the less sore side (if there is one)
    HTH