Thread: my little girl not very well

Unhappy my little girl not very well

Well df came home home from work the other day with the severe vomiting ( on his bosses desk, didn't need a sick certificare then lol) and the gastro stuffbut now dd has it, she hasn't eating anything (maybe bites of bread) since bout 3pm tuesday arvo, trying to get her sips of water, took her to the dr yesterday who said she is not well at all and to get the those iceblock things, but she doesn't want them. All we have managed is to give her a choccy milk, which she had half of. Shewas up al tuesday night vomiting and was asolutely exhausted yeterday from it all. We were told if she not handling he food or eating ofr not weeing to take her to the hospital to get an IV put in. Now would you class a choccy milk a anything. I really don't think it is, so I'm thinking of waiting til she wakes up and see how she is. I'm feeling it coming on, but so worried about our baby boy getting it too, so lots of hand washing and disinfecting here! Any more help for me? What should I do? TIA

Hi Renee, Sorry, I don't have any experience with having a little one with gastro. But dehydration is scary, so if you're worried at all there is no harm in taking her back to the dr/hospy to look at getting a drip. Did she keep the milk down? If she threw it up, I wouldn't count it. Maybe keep offering/persisting with the drinks and ice blocks? Hugs to you, I hope she gets better very soon, and that you and your little boy stay gastro-free. Let us know how you go.

I would take her back to the Drs or give the hospital a call. If she isn't keeping anything down she needs to be seen,,

This time last year we had a terrible gastro bug go through the house. My 8 yr old lost heaps of weight . We managed to get Jelly into him by using a syringe and telling him it was medicine from the Dr and he managed to keep that down. ( he was 7 at the time) Our 4 ( 3 at the time) yr old ended up in hospital for 5 hours being monitored. They didn't do a IV because thankfully after 5 hours of sipping water and keeping it down he peed.

I hope your DD gets well soon.. and that no one else gets it

If you pinch your daughters skin carefully does it spring back right away or does it take time. If it takes time she is dehydrated, you can also tell this by looking inside her mouth near her lips, if they are very dry or not.

If you have a syringe can you squirt bits of water far back into her mouth, even while she is sleeping. This way it goes in to her. The hydrolyte iceblocks are a great idea but they are very sickly sweet. Even if you can get her to have a water ice block like a Zooper Dooper or something that will help.

Goodluck and I really hope that she get's better soon.

Mybe try the ice blocks cut up into little pieces for her so it's no effort to eat them. And only offer a little at a time. If she's feeling really yuk (like she sounds) little bits are less overwhelming for her. The jelly sounds like a good one too, again just a teaspoon at a time not a bowl full.

I hope she is feeling better soon and that it doesn't get you or your little man.

Take are.

Frozen watermelon to suck on??? Flat, watered down lemonade is good too.

The syringe idea worked for me also. When DD was a toddler and was sick, I just tried to get one syringe full into her every 10 mins or so. Hope things are looking up

My DD is just getting over Gastro aswell, The only way I could get pedialyte into her was by getting her to sip it out of an "adult" cup. She doesn't like the taste of it. But she is drinking lots of water. The only problem we are having is finding things she will eat. If anyone has any ideas on that advice would be appreciated.
    I hope you DD gets better soon I know how hard it is.

Ellie

I would be less worried about how much she is eating and more concerned about her drinking (fluid intake). Does she have a fav drink you can offer her? Even if it is watered down fruit juice, cordial, or flat lemonaide. The sugar in those drinks will help keep her energy up to fight the bug - but be careful not to give too much sugar as that may aggrevate lose bowels.
    If she is showing signs of dehydration or has become limb (or you have difficulty waking her from her sleep), you need to go straight to the hosp.

My DD had gastro a few weeks ago and hardly ate anything for a week. She's still making up for it now

To try and limit DS from getting it, strict handwashing techniques are vital but also try go keep DD away from him to limit his chances of getting it.

HTH and hang in there

MG

ETA: The prefered foods for them to be eating at this point are
    Bannana
    Rice
    Toast

There are others but these are the only ones I can recall right now. Banana is the top food for them to be trying to eat if they can.

It's so scary when our babies are unwell.
    I think that it's best to take her to the hospital if all she's had in 24 hours is some choholate milk. It's always best to err on the side of caution.

if you can get her to drink clear fluids it will probably be better than dairy (I know its a PITA if thats all she will drink). I just know with DS if he has dairy, especially milk when he has gastro it aggrecates his bowels.
    the syringe idea is good for water, we were told to try 10mls every 5 minutes.

Just wanted to say i hope your DD is feeling a little better. My DD started throwing up last night around 11 and went for most of the night but thankfully has stopped though will still not eat or drink. I too have been using a syringe i was told to give her 5-10 mls every ten mins. My sister watched her here for an hr this arvo so i could have a nap (been heavily pg and up all night i was a walking zombie) and she said DD ate 1/2 a banana for her as she asked for it!! Didnt know it was good to eat so its nice to see it on your list MG. like others have said just watch out for dehydration i wouldnt worry about food as such.

You could also ring the after hours GP because they put you onto a nurse and they can tell you if she should be seen right away or not. Better than waiting around at a hospital.

Thanks so much everyone We ended up taking her to the hospital, she was in the end, couldn't move or talk, was sleeping all day and night, was only drinking water, we tried bribing her with her fave foods, got those iceblocks, she had a suck then was over it and I hated watching her like this. Bsically we go to the hospital, really great triage nurse there, (my dd is very shy round strangers), she really seemed to like him, he asked her i she wanted an iceblock and got to pick one ,and as we were waiting to see the dr, she became so much better! We got home and syringed some of the iceblocks into her mouth to help her still and the next day she spent sleeping, probably recovering from it all, then I got it yesterday and just getting better today, but now ds is starting to get the really reunny poos. So it's never ending! Thanks for all your advice, hopefully none of us will need it!
    Tyige & Hoody I hope your little girls are getting better.... Mother Goose, good to hear your DD is making up for it all now lol.

Annikas_Mamma Guest

My daughter recently had rotavirus for a week, and it wasn't pretty, so I can totally relate to you. It's so hard to watch them go through that, so I hope she recovers really soon I'm not sure how old she is, but heres a few suggestions

There isn't a lot you really can do for your little one, but maybe offer some soft lollies?

Also, there are a couple of different flavours of the hydralite iceblocks - orange and blackcurrant - that I know of. The orange is bitter, and not many kids like it, and most tend to tolerate the blackcurrant. I found that Annika was so hungry, I would first have to crush the iceblock a little bit, so that she got some straight away.

I've heard somewhere that a few teaspoons of a natural live yoghurt every couple of hours helps with diarrhoea, but I'm not 100% sure if it was a reliable source. It's worth looking into.

When I took Annika to the doctors, he said water or really diluted cordial are the best drinks for her when she's sick. The fluids really need to be clear to be rehydrating. I was told that I need to syringe it in if she refuses.

If her tummy is sore, you can always put a wheat bag in the microwave. Only do it for a few seconds to avoid her getting too hot, or it burning her skin. The heat may help with any intestional cramping. If you don't want to try that, a couple of towels, fresh out of the clothes dryer are good too.

Hope she feels better soon!