Thread: My poor bubba!

Unhappy My poor bubba!

Oh my gawd, yesterday was the most horrible day of my life... I tripped while holding our little boy and we fell to the ground. I managed to take most of the fall but he hit his head so hard on the tile floor!!! It was horrible! He was screaming (and maybe I was too?!) and I felt so bad... We were at a public pool so they phoned the ambulance to come and check him out then took him to hospital for more checking and observation.

Luckily he seems to be okay but he has a big bump on the back of his head and it still hurts a lot. I feel soooooo horrible about it and I really thought that it was going to be a much worse outcome with the way we hit the ground. I'm soooooooooo glad that he seems okay though, I don't know what I'd do if I had permanently hurt him...

(I also managed to bung up my elbow, knee & big toe but I didn't even feel that till hours after the fall - not until just before they xrayed my knee for breaks...hehe...I was too busy worrying about Riley)

Has anyone else had a horrible experience like this? It is such a bad feeling to know you've hurt your baby, even if it was an accident...

Oh gawd, Jillian, you have me in tears too!! Your poor little man!!!! You must have been beside yourself... It's so not fair for things like this to happen. I know what you mean about being able to feed him, I was the same when I was told I could finally feed Riley...it was a great feeling.

I think our bubbas are a lot stronger than us sometimes...

OMG - so glad everything turned out ok. Him screaming and crying at the time is actually a good sign! You worry when they go all quiet and sleepy.

The worst we've had so far, is Tallon keeps falling off our bed. One of the hazards of co-sleeping.. he wakes up, and I don't.. and I wake up to a thud and a cry. He hasn't hurt himself (yet). He's done it 3 times now

OMG what an awful experience, I am so glad that everything worked out ok. I have to admitt falling over while holding Tori is oneof my BIGGEST nightmares, and when I first bought her home I used to dream that I would fall over with her and it scared me witless- we have 2 stairs from our main part of the house to the living room, and I used to be so so careful caring her down them.
    Jillian I had tears in my eyes reading your story- so glad it was all ok..

The worst experience we have had so far is her crawling to and falling down 2 steps at my mum and dads , I think she frightened herself more than hurt hurself but it is the first timed she has cried hysterically and it was heartbreaking.

Aww Sherie you poor thing and poor lil Riley.. i hope both of you are ok.
    Please dont blame youreself though, it wasnt your fault, you didnt intentionally fall, it was an accident.
    I know its not the same but ive accidently cut Jesse's finger with nail clippers once while trying to cut his nails.. yep i took a small chunk.. omg did i feel so bad when he looked at me and his little lip dropped.. omg i felt like a terrible mother.. but it was an accident and it healed and he doesnt love his mummy any less. Im sure Riley is the same.. you are still number 1 in his eyes and always will be.

Just make sure you give him extra cuddles and kisses as it helps the wounds heal

Oh those are awful stories!

I fell down our stairs and dropped Flynn on his head (I think in the end he fell about 20cm). My DH saw it all happen - Flynn was apparently star-fished, upside down. He was fine - cried for about 30 seconds - that was it.

He still clings tightly to me when I carry him down the stairs though, but doesn't hold on at any other time - think he remembers......

maggie Guest

when DS was about 8weeks, i brought him inside and put him on the kitchen bench in his capsule, he had been fast asleep, i turned around, and nxt minute a bang on the ground, the capsule fell of the bench onto the tiles.. i was hysterical... but he was ok.,

i smashed hannahs head into the corner of the door frame when i was holding her facing outwards on my hip. she only cried for a bit but there was a bump and i felt so bad. i know what you mean about the nil by mouth thing. when she was 4 days old she vomited bile and we had to take her to the hospital they examined her for bowel problems and said not to feed her because they may have to operate. she was screaming the place down and all i could do was let her suck my finger, it was heartbreaking!!!!!!!!!

My DH dropped Nina on tiles on New Years Eve. She flew out of his arms and across the tiles for about a metre, face first. The ambulance came and took her to the hospital. We got a real shock cause she started vomiting a couple of minutes after it happened. She was fine and it hasn't affected her, thank god!

I guess the worst for us has been when Maddy slipped out the bottom of her pram (between the bar and the footrest. She fell straight down on the side of her head on the tiled floor - probably about a 40-50cm drop? I bawled and freaked out - calling my PILs and asking them for the signs of concussion etc.

Sherie, I am so glad that you & Riley are ok. Must have been so scary! {{{hugs}}}

Jillian - OMG @ your story! I totally understand your stairs fear...my Mum's sister died when she was 4 I think falling down concrete stairs. I've been terrified about kids on them ever since...I think I aged about 10 years about 6 weeks ago when someone left the door open to the stairs at dancing class. I caught Maddy by the feet as she reached the top step of two flights...so much for my sis watching her!

Thanks girls! It's horrible to hear that others have also had bad accidents with their bubs but I'm glad I'm not the only one... I think we've been lucky and Riley seems to be okay...I'm still watching every movement etc trying to make sure it's all 'normal'.

Oh gawd, I remember when Riley was tiny and we cut his nails for the first time...DH nipped a bit of his skin with the nail cutters and he cried...so did I!!! It was heartbreaking...

sherie - you poor thing, as the others have said u know theya re okay if they are crying. and can totally relate to the nil by mouth thing! Archie had to have an op at 3 weeks and was nil by mouth for two days, the surgeon told me to feed him at midnight but then the nurse wouldnt let me! by the next morning (3 days without a feed) when he finally had a feed, was only allowed 2 mins on breast, but i took hi off and his eyes lit up and he just looked into my eyes and smiled. i think that has been the most beautiful moment of my life so far, can't wait to bf again! so glad Riley is okay, we all make mistakes at some point don't be too hard on yourself

Sherie, how awful. I'm so glad your gorgeous little boy is ok though.
    I hope you're feeling better too and you're not too battered and bruised from the fall.

Kirsty77 Guest

Thank goodness your both ok Sherie

When I did work experience with the ambulance in high school I went to a job where a lady had dropped her newborn. She tripped on a bit of ripped carpet and the poor bub flew out of her arms and landed head first on the ground. He was ok, had a bad concussion though. You'd be surprised how tough babies are!