Thread: my poor little sausage

Default my poor little sausage

has a red raw bottom

He's never had a really bad case of nappy rash before...sometimes it gets a little pink or spotty but clears up overnight with the help of some sudocrem or booby juice. This however has been there since Saturday afternoon and is getting worse. I've tried Gaia skin soothing cream, sudocrem, breastmilk and canestan all to no avail. He's been without a nappy pretty much all day but it's a really angry red rash, not spotty at all just raw and patchy looking (like a few layers of skin have come off iykwim?)

Could it be a reaction to something he ate? I've never seen a rash like this on him before. The only thing out of the ordinary I can think of that he ate was a jar of Heinz baby food, the 'organic' one, he has jar food once in a blue moon and never has had the Heinz brand before. Could there have been an additive in that perhaps that hasn't agreed with him?

I've been cleaning his bottom with water and cotton wool for the past few days rather than wipes is there anything else I can do? A salt bath perhaps?

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

DS1 has had a rash like that 2 times, and always related to teeth!!!!

I just smothered him at every nappy change with sudocream and changed him at least 3 hrly during day, if not earlier. He wouldnt sit in bath at all, and screamed during nappy change, i used warm water and a cloth to clean bum.

Nappy free time helped a bit too but hard to do when he roams all over house etc.

Hope he is better soon.

xoxo

it couldn't be a fungal infection or something like that? Maybe a trip to your GP if it's not getting any better despite what you've tried?

DS had a yucky rash around his nappy area - took him to the doctor and it was a viral infection, cleared up in a few more days. The doctor said to use Bepanthan on it.

Good luck.
    x

Thanks for the replies
    I feel awful everytime I look at his poor little behind

feeb I did think teething although he hasn't been grumpy or anything. Perhaps he is just dealing with the better the time round?
    DH is grabbing some bepanthen from the supermarket now so will try that and if it doesn't clear up soon I'll take him to the doctor.

DD had a really bad nappy rash a few months ago, she was a bit sick and had really runny poo's which i think caused it. I used one called Nappy Mate, worked so good!! noticed the difference after first nappy change

it's awful isn't it. The main things that come to mind for me when the boys have had bums like that is... either bit of tummy upset, cold (all the mucous) or antibiotics. Elijah's been on ab's last week and had a pretty sore little bottom a few times... I was told by my doc when Oskar had it from ab's once to use some Dermaid (the really mild one... .5%) just once or twice in the day... I used it one night and the next morning it was still red but when you touched it it was DRY and not all angry red. I have been using it on Elijah at night and sometimes once earlier in the day if need be and I think it's kept it a lot better than would've or could've been. In between that I use Amolin.

and hope it gets better fast!

Awful isn't it?
    Don't know if you're using cloth or sposies, but with the cloth I find Curash powder works a treat, that and hourly changes. We get teething rash here too but not with every tooth lol.
    My DS currently has similar - only his is a cold sore. Poor little guy gets them every so often (and no DH and I don't get them - we don't know where he's picked it up) and is on anti viral meds and anti viral cream.
    My best advise is to get is checked out if it lingers - you never can be too sure.

Hope your DS' is gone quick smart.

Ouch poor little guy.
    paw paw ointment is awesome too.
    I hope you can sort it out and get it cleared up quickly.

Default my poor little sausage

I'd second the paw paw - always works instantly on DD when sudoxrem and the like are making no difference at all.

I hope it clears up for him soon.

Have you tried pawpaw cream in the red tub? (oops as the two replys above me also suggested!)

I love the paw paw in the red tube..forever slathering it on my lips, never used it on DS though. Will keep it in mind for next time!
    I'm not keen on using chemicals on his skin but desperate times.....So last night I smeared bepanthen all over his butt before bed and put extra bamboo boosting in his night nappy and the rash looks a lot better today, still one largish red graze looking thing but overall not so angry and sore looking...hopefully it keeps healing

Got me stumped as to how to appeared, he hasn't been sick, hasn't been left in a nappy long, no other signs of teething...I guess it's just one of those things hey?

Thanks again gals

? have to consult the road map on my stomach...

I slather the bepanthen on every time there's so much as a sign of rash on DS1, otherwise I can't get him near a bath or even get him to let me clean him... the worse it is the more difficult it all gets of course.. I can't wait for him to be more interested in toilet training. With him any nappy rash is usually related to eating strawberries, which is unfortunate as they're my favourite as well as his...