Thread: Nappy or food?

Default Nappy or food?

My DS is usually in cloth nappies in the day, even for outings, but disposable at night. I haven't yet eaten anything I didn't in pregnancy. However, last night my little darling screamed the house down when I put him in his bedtime nappy... so much so that I changed it half an hour later to no avail. He wouldn't feed too well either as he just screamed. He did do a few little farts (and a small poo) in that time and they seemed really painful.

I managed eventually to get him to sleep and wondered if it was something I'd eaten, but he'd have reacted before now as I'm not eating anything new - he even liked the restaurant food at the weekend. At his early morning change (he was screaming again all through him 2am feed), the nappy was barely soiled, but I put him in cloth, fed him and he stopped screaming and slept happily after that. Can a clean nappy have that effect? Or was it food related? It's not even the sposie batch as I've been using that packet before.

Also, how long does it take for food I eat to get into breast milk and fom my milk to Liebling's backside? Just so I can go back and see if it is food. Thanks!

I don't think its takes very long at all, Fiona Jill is probably your best bet as if she doesn't know she should know who will.

He might have painful wind? Milo used to have very sluggish digestion and got really painful wind, and would screm the house down. It may just be conincidence with the nappy. You could try him in cloth at night and see if there is a significant difference?

Maybe google la leche or australian breastfeeding association
    Last edited by Pandora; March 15th, 2007 at 09:21 AM.

I was told it takes around 12 hours for food to reach your breastmilk. I can't remember drink it might be an hour,...

there is a great breastfeeding site you can go to as well.. I can't link it ( I don't think) kellymom is the name of the site.. google that

Ryn, I thought maybe gas/wind too. Perhaps changing his nappy (lifting his legs up etc) helped to get rid of the gas and that's what made him feel better??

Jesse would do that 2-3 nights a week until he was 2 months old.. we tried everything and nothing helped.. thought Jesse was bottle fed after 2 weeks. During the first week when breastfed we had a couple of nights he's do that too and found it to be a bit of colic. So yeh id maybe guess its wind or something too.. but also perhaps try burping more often during his feeds too may help anything in the future.

Best of luck!

Also, the digestion in utero is very different from the digestion of breastmilk....so even if you have not changed your diet at all since giving birth, it may be a food/wind factor.

The most common foods (anecdotally) that appear to give babies wind are caffiene (in any form), chocolate (for its caffience content but more importantly the dairy fats in chocolate tend to make babies very windy....) cabbage, cauliflower, onions........

Ryn, I am not precious about it, but my babies all were shockers if I ate any chocolate, or if I ate raw onion.....so for a quiet easy life, I just don't bother eating those things whilst BF.........I would rather have a happy peaceful babe than eat chocolate......

Try and figure out what you had to eat 12 hours before he had his scream.......

In terms of nappies, who knows.........Olivia would scream at disposables and be happy in cloth, and used to get a rash on her back from the top of a disposable...maybe something like that?

Could you try giving his tummy a little rub to help any poos along - baby massage style? I think you start at 7o'clock and go in clock wise around the belly button.
    I know this always help kyla with poos and farts. Also lifting her legs so her knees were against her tummy helped too (if that makes any sense!).

I think it may be the nappy, as he's been fine last night in cloth.

At 9am on Tuesday morning I had my breakfast cereal, same as always. I can't even blame croissants as that was Monday morning's treat! I've managed to eat onion, cauliflower, chocolate, normal coffee... without problems. I didn't even have wine with dinner that night, although DS seems to not get enough if I do have a small glass (he's a bit more relaxed with stout or ale). DS doesn't "do" burping - he'll either burp mid-feed, or about an hour afterwards. It's very rare we can get anything out of him patting his back, although we have gotten better at that in the last few days - he has mild reflux so I have to keep trying with the burping.

DS did have a small rash on his belly where the disposable fasteners were, so maybe that's something to do with it? Angel, I changed his nappy for a new disposable a half-hour after I put it on, in case he'd filled it, and he didn't stop crying, so I don't think it was that. Ah well, he's quiet and content now, even if it does mean an extra nappy change overnight for me. He even went to sleep OK by 10pm, normally he's fussing until gone 11 in disposables. But the flip-side was that he was up twice in the night, but I wasn't so tired when I went to bed so that's OK.