Thread: Is this nappy rash?

Question Is this nappy rash?

Hi,
    My little boy (7M) has some red bloody dots around his anus and his bottom is very red and sore - it has come and gone over the past few days and I am using cortisone cream when it is bad but that is very strong so I know I can only use it for a short time.
    I try and give him nappy free time and use an organic bum cream that is made from white clay usually.
    Has anyone had the same problem? And what did you do to help? Could it be food related?
    Thankyou!!

DD had that when she was younger 1-2mths. I was told it was from frequent pooing. We changed from using wipes to just face washer and water and that helped a little bit.

DS had a very bad rash when 2 weeks old which turned out to be thrush and would only go away with an anti fungal, I would go to the MCHN if I were you and get their opinion on it.

Although we also have found that wipes give him a rash and limit the amount we use them. At home we too use water, however I am lazy and don't want extra washing of pooey face washers so I use home brand cotton makeup removal pads which are just pressed cotton wool. Ends up a little cheaper too.

My DS has had such bad nappy rash in the past. He had thrush and rash on top of that so unfortunatly I couldnt tell you what thrush looks like. The ONLY way I was able to keep him nappy rash free was to use cloth nappies. Honestly, he has such a nice bum now! Maybe he was sensitive to the stuff in disposables, im not sure but I know that i didnt change them as often as I do with cloth nappies.

Thanks guys for your advice, he does have sensitive skin so I think I might give the damp washer or cotton pads a go - even tho I use sensitive baby wipes it could be the culprit.
    Thanks will give it a go!

GL with the different wipes, Jen. Hope that helps. (I find Natty's bum is always less red when I use cloth wipes.)
    I agree with KFBecca though, that if it doesn't clear up you might need to see your GP or nurse as it could be thrush. (I heard that a rash that looks like little pimples is usually thrush.) If it is the case, just some canesten cream can help to clear it up in no time at all.
    Hope he is better soon!

We only used sensitive wipes too, but did you know those things can get biro ink out of clothes, wow makes you wonder whats in them and what's going on bubs bum huh??

the mchn said thrus will look like a red area with little white spots (very hard to see) and if you have been using any other creams that might have sugar in them eg paw paw ointment it actually makes thrush worse because the fungus feeds on the sugar.

I hope the rash gets better.

thrush can also look "motheaten"
    DS has only had bad nappy rash twice, and both times I had to let him go nappy free for a good 6-8 hours for a day or so to help with the healing process. I think most of the floor area in my house was covered in beachtowels! I also found daktozin cream was helpful.