Thread: Oral Thrush Advice

Default Oral Thrush Advice

Had an appointment with the health nurse and she said it looks like Georgia has the start of oral thrush so she told me to go to chemist and get Daktarin which I have done.
    I have noticed that she has been a lot more grumpier and irritable than normal, she has always been happy and content - is this a symptom??
    I know i have to treat my nipples and her mouth at the same time but do i have to do anything will her toys and things she chews on.
    Should I take a probiotic aswell the help in the future.
    Your experiences and Advice would be so helpful.

P.s she also seems really tired but I am not sure if this is a symptom or just coinciding with a growth spurt???

my DS1 got oral thrush every time he was teething so for use irritability absolutely went with it. I imagine it is rather uncomfy and we found it hard with foods....so we stuck to custards, icecreams, jelly etc for a few days for him.

I'm not too sure about the toys and things...i wouldn't expect so? although if she has a couple of special things she's always chewing on I'd probably give those a wash....maybe in some Milton??

DD had oral thrush earlier on aswell. I used Nilstat. In her mouth and on my nipples. Didnt take long to clear up.

Its very very common. I wouldnt go to the extreme of taking anything.

Her toys..it prob wouldnt hurt to wipe them over.

DD2 had it when she was only 3wks old, and yes it made her very irritable poor darlin!

I would give her toys a good wash, or put them out in the sun every couple of days just to be safe. A probiotic wouldnt hurt - but you could always just watch how much sugar youre eating for a bit too

HTH

thanks for the replies - she just doesnt seem herself kind of moaning all the time and i feel like i am always putting her to bed, she is just sooooo tired

Hi Sal,

I've just sent you a PM not knowing you had posted on here.

In short - I'd definately recommend probiotics for you both to help restore bacterial balance, rebalance immune function and decrease chances of recurrance.

also second watching how much sugar you're eating as well, not forgetting fruits that are high in sugar.

anyway, see your pm.

good luck

maybe take her to the drs then?? that doesn't sound right to me?? hope DD is ok.

thanks everyone i am going to monitor her behaviour today and see how she is.
    Thanks jules

Yes. Daniel had this.

I was embarrassed as I had my beautiful boy but everytime he opened his mouth he poked out a yellow tongue. The Nilstat knocked it eventually though. He did have it quite a while, but I didn't notice it affecting his behaviour - but he was a nb.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Try some Fast Tract super probiotics for both of you, 1ml for babies instead of the 25ml adult dose. Its organic, gentle and safe, most of all super potent.

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/article...tality-inliven
    Last edited by BellyBelly; April 23rd, 2009 at 02:41 PM.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

We are using Daktarin and it seems to be doing the job - she is alot better today close to her normal self.

Hi Guys,

My bub and i have thrush at the moment, can anyone tell me how long i should be treating us for? My symptoms have disappeared but have noticed from this post that my bub is very irritable, should i keep treating? I only treated for 3 days and then stopped as i had a guilt problem feeling like i was doing the wrong thing giving him medication. But now i feel stupid as i'm doing it for him, to make him feel better. Does anyone else have these feelings? God it's never ending i feel like i'm constantly worrying about the decisions i'm making whether they're the right ones. Lucky my husband is very calm and makes me calm myself down.

Also my hubby and i have a cold at the moment could the irritability be that he's caught it too, and if so is giving panadol enough?

Thanks

hi Jenjen25 I am pretty sure you have to treat the both of you for 10 days, it can clear up in a couple of days but you have to go longer just to make sure you dont go reinfecting each other.
    I know what you mean about decisions but you need to clear it up so giving the meds is what works.
    I am almost 100% sure that the thrush was making georgia irritable because I can see the thrush is almost clear and she is back to her normal self.
    As for the cold I dont know we havent come across that yet but I would only be giving bubs panadol if you really think they are miserable or in pain, maybe try some of the Brauer more natural treatments if you are worried, you can get them at the chemist.
    Hope that helps - good luck
    Oh and trust your judgement you and your patner know more than anyone what is best for you bub.

Thanks Salad,

I really appreciate your reply, just spoke with my partner and he agreed that we should keep going with the medication for both of us. Also he'd suggested the Brauer products but for the life of me i just don't have the energy to go to the pharmacy. He doesn't seem too bad but will keep an eye on him.

This thrush thing is pretty annoying especially when i've got a cold too, but at least it's not mastitis like i thought. Will go and feed and then get the meds into him and see how we go.

Thanks again

no worries hope it all goes well, maybe get your partner to grab some brauer stuff for you or another family member or friend.

Default Thrush Advice

Hi Salad,

As far as I understand it, Daktarin is an anti-fungal which addresses the symptom (the yeast) but not the cause of the thrush (not enough probiotic 'friendly' bacteria in the digestive system). So definitely get her onto an infant probiotic (ask at your nearest health food store for your best option - will need to be kept in the fridge). If you are breastfeeding it will also be incredibly beneficial for you to take a course of probiotics as you will pass in on in your milk.
    Taking antibiotics, the contraceptive pill and other medications whilst breastfeeding is a common cause of thrush as the reminants of these medications kill off the natural digestive flora in the baby's digestive tract.
    Sugary food and dairy foods feed yeast in the body - so foods such as icecream, cheese, processed foods- buscuits, sweets, and yes, even fruit should definitely be off limits for now. Stick to low sugar options such as steamed/pureed vegetables and brown rice.

Best wishes,

XX

Thanks jellybean I do agree I plan on getting some probiotics tomorrow, I dont want her to keep getting thrush.