Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: please help! re:wind

Question please help! re:wind

Ok I am making a conciencous decision that Mason now suffers from wind and that is why he hasnt been sleeping as well.

He farts non stop when he pick him up out of bed but finds it hard to move it when lying down.

What should I do?

Hi Danni.... Sorry to hear about the wind prob.... i know myself its not much fun.....

My Nan told me about gripe water.... I used to give Jacob about 4ml of that from a syringe thing and within about 30 minutes to an hour he would have a nice big poo and the wind would not come back for about 3 or 4 days....

now GRIPE WATER has basically what Chai Tea has in it.... get a box of Chai tea and a bottle of NON ALOCOHOLIC gripe water and compare the ingredients.... you will see that the proof is in the punch with Gripe water... and its ALL NATURAL!!!

Sorry if I sound like I am yelling but have gotten some criticism about gripe water..... and after doing much research found that its a dam site better than have the c*ap on the market at the moment.... its all natural and is basically Chai tea in a syrupy form.

Good luck babe.... Sorry for the ramble

Do you try to get his wind up after/during feeds?
    It will be more likely for him to get wind on the bottle (regardless of whats in it) than on the boob because it doesn't create the same vacuum, so more air gets in. DS got a LOT of wind regardless, and the best way for me to get it out was to hold him upright, with his tummy against my chest, and rub his back.

some days it just seemed pointless, like no matter what I did it didn't get better, and other days would be brilliant.

The fact that he is farting, and can get it out that end is good! It would be worse if it didn't come out at all. You can also try massaging his tummy in circles (clockwise), or doing gently cycling motions with his legs while he is lying on his back.
    Last edited by Pandora; May 7th, 2007 at 01:00 PM.

I found that Oscar's windiness started to subside quite a bit when we got the HAB, at about 4 weeks of age. I have carried him a lot since then, but found that if he was showing signs of wind (screaming, arching, drawing legs up), I would pack him up in the sling and he would settle right in and go to sleep. From there I would put him to bed.
    Carrying upright, against you, is definitely recommended

I used Brauers drops (the wind ones) with Indah as she also was windy & squealing in pain, but agree wearing bubs when they are unable to shift wind is a godsend!

I did a baby massage course also to help with wind...

Maddy never had it, so it was a big shock for me to have a squealing in pain bubba & Indah was only breastfed til I went back to work, but she still was a windy bubba!!!

Danni, have you looked at your diet too hun ? Sometimes it could be something that you have been eating that's causing the wind.

A nice warm bath will also help to settle his tummy pains, afterwards warm a little oil in your hands and massage his tummy in circlular, clockwise motion. He should be farting like a trooper after that. Work's for me

Hey Danni,

sorry you are having these problems, its not fun...

We found using a hammock helped a lot with wind, also Brauers stomach calm (not colic relief, only the stomach one), helped us.

At a certain point he kind of grew out of it, which is reassuring

Massage us supposed to be good, i just wanted to add, if you do it, stand on his left side and and do it in clockwise direction only... (has to do with directions of bowels etc).. if you do it the wrong way you cant make it worse..

Hope you find some relief soon

barney Guest

hi danni i know whats its like to have a baby with wind my first dd suffered big time you can actually go to yr chemist and get wind drops witch are fine to use on newborns they really work great helps them to burp really easy.and they say when they have wind its extremelly painfull for them so its worth a shot
    hope that helps hun

Oh and about diet - if you are bf, i found that having orange juice or chocolate gave him really bad stomach aches..

Maybe ask the ABA for advice if you think it might be that.

I know, but i asked the pharmacist, and my MIL (who is a pharmacist), who called Brauers, and they said it was ok to use b4 6 months

But i can't remember how old he was when we tried this... maybe 3 months or something??? Maybe call Brauers directly and ask??

I found he would bring up a lot of milk when i gave him infacol...

I would try the massage (i didn't do it with him as i had no idea, but have just done a massage course now), i would use nice big circular strokes like around the bellybutton if that makes sense? They are pretty relaxing and good for getting wind to move down the colon/bowels etc

ok i always lift his legs and help move them around which helps sometimes to release the wind.

I burp him 3 times for every bottle of EBM he has. He burps and farts atleast once each time.

Im not allowed to drive so I cant get any medecine until DH gets home around dinner time.

Poor bub will not sleep and im going crazy! I will try the massage on his tummy but he wont keep still

My naturopath/pharmacist said to use the Brauer colic relief for him so that must be ok?

I have a HAB but i cant get it on tight enough I need help and I am alone today...

Oh Danni- I feel for you. I know all about windy/colicky pain - Logan barely slept at all in the first few mths due to pain.
    I tried :
    Infants friend - helped a little
    Mylanta - helped a bit
    Massage - worked quite well. Try the circular strokes and also strokes with palms flat on his belly and moving downwards one hand after the other - 6 strokes then legs bent up then repeat etc
    HAB - worked wonders. certainly THE BEST tool to ease a screaming child. I know you said you can't get it on by yourself but maybe just ry holding him tight against you and walk around for awhile until he is calm and /or asleep

Hammock/bouncer or holding him in arms whilst bouncing on a fit ball - also helps to calm bubs

Dummy or boob - defnite soother for winds and other pains

Sorry can't think of the rest right now but good luck and let us know how you are doing

The colic relief is fine to give - i just found he hated the taste and it did nothing to help - so i would rather not pump that into him if it wasn;t working

He liked the stomach calm taste, so it must be different somehow

But i 2nd all the things MeredithD said...

Here's something you can try until you can get some of the medicines Danni.

Hold Mason over one arm on his tummy.... Have your elbow between his legs at his crotch & your hand holding his head which is turned to one side. Have his arms & legs dangling over either side of your arm. It's a bit awkward to start with, but it will help him to bring up the wind & relax. I'm not sure if he's a chucky bub, but if he is, it's likely to bring that up as well. The other option if you can't get that one working if to hold him up over your shoulder so your shoulder is right in his tummy. It puts a consistent pressure on it which will help.

Good luck hun, wind is no fun for mum or bub

ETA: Just read Mads' post & she was saying the same thing, sorry Mads

thanks for all the advice, but Mason will not lay on his tummy no matter what. He also hates being held over my shoulder

Hi!

Danni - I hope he settled for you!

It is soo hard sometimes..I don't have any additional advice but just want to say thanks to everyone for their advice! I will definitely be using some ideas as Dylan is quite windy as well!

Ok I put 1 mil of colic relief into Masons milk and he drank it fine. He is now finally asleep. Hoping this works

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast