Thread: Please tell me this is normal

Unhappy Please tell me this is normal

Long story cut short - my DD who is nearly 3 is having some major meltdowns at the moment.

Longer version:

DD is generally a well -behaved girl with some typical tantrums and attitude but overall I can't complain too much. She has a couple of wweeks every couple of months where her behaviour is a bit and then she comes back to normal - well 2 year old normal! We use the stand against the wall for discipline where she stands for about 20 secs and then we cuddle, apologise and discuss afterwards. This usually works.

This past week and a half however there have been at least 3 times where she has compltely lost the plot for no apparant reason. Screams, cries and can't be reasoned with for a few mintues. Just 10 minutes ago she lost it over her cousin sharing a chocolate frog - no idea why but she wouldn't say thank you and said she wouldn't share but said she still wanted it. It was so loud and random. Now she is completely fine - has apologised, said thanks about 5 times and is smiling. Go figure!

I am not worried at all about her speech, development or anything except her behaviour over the past 2 weeks. Do you think TT could have something to do with it. Whilst she wasn't exactly trained she had been doing really well for about 2 weeks but no there are more accidents than ever with her absoluting refusing to go. I don't want to push her but it seems silly to go back to nappies when she was doing so well.

Anyway just wanted to know if this is normal and it will pass because it's so horrible to see yor happy child so upset and angry but also with so much bad attitude - always saying no.

Default Please tell me this is normal

It's normal for us too, dd2 is three and keeps having meltdowns too. We have her sit down in the corner similar to you but some days it just won't work. I think it's as they learn their boundaries and see what they can get away with.

I ran Family Daycare before having my babies and can tell you this is completely normal behaviour - especially with the TT regression. There are only a few things in an older toddler/early pre-schoolers life they have control over - and TT is one of them!

Nappies are probably not a great idea, unless DD hates them.....or you don't mind starting all over again.

As for the tantrums, they are at an age where they are entirely ego-centric and can't (even if they wanted to) see outside of what they are feeling within themselves. This is why their reactions over the smallest things seem so over the top and hard for an adult to understand.

It's great that you encourage talking after the meltdown - keep up with that. Also respect that she is probably feeling frustrated, angry, tired, sad (whatever the case may be) and her only way of dealing with these emotions are emotional outbursts.

As she gets older you can try some control tactics - in that you give her a few tricks to try when she feels herself losing control. But for the minute my best advice is to ride the wave

Thank you thank you!!! REsponses like that make me feel sooooo much better. Anyone else going through the same thing?

I'd recommend a book called Toddler Taming by Dr Green - this will give you a really good understanding of what's "normal" and what you can expect until school age xx

Jordie- We are having very similar meltdowns here too. DD will be 3 in September. Today she had a meltdown because she wanted her sisters drink. It involved screaming, yelling crying, flailing of arms and she would not listen to reason. All this in the middle of a shopping centre. I am sure if i got my "Science Of Parenting" or Toddler Tactics out it would explain why kids start having meltdowns at this age. Maybe i should do that. hmmmm. I haven't seen many other kids around DD's age lately, so it's reassuring to hear others are having similar issues.

I am in the same boat too and its horrible. I just keep telling myself "this too shall pass".
    JM I got out my science of parenting today, just need time to sit and read it lol.

can you do a quick summery and come back in and post?

Lol I was hoping you would.