Thread: Putting to sleep with music

Default Putting to sleep with music

I was just wondering how many mums put their kids to bed with music going in their rooms (I don't mean mobiles etc) but actual CD's or the radio etc.

It came up in playgroup the other day and it was something I had never done, so I was surprised at the amount of mums that did just in our little playgroup

Love

mooshie Guest

hi kathryn

as babies i have never used music, however when jay went into a bed (aged 3 lol) we got a little cd player for him and some story books with cd's - eg playschool, thomas etc. he has a story read to him in bed and then we turn his cd on and he "reads" to his teddy. it is great and he loves it even now at aged 5.

it was also good in the early months when he used to come out all the time or even now if he doesn't go to bed when told his punishment is no story book cd.

quite often now if he wakes up early and it is still cold and dark outside he will get up put his cd on and get back into bed and doze until the rest of us are up and about.

Every single sleep!

Kathryn, my Mum gave me "Peacebaby" before Olivia was born and we played it in her little CD machine from birth and she still has it before she goes to sleep now......I swear by it!

I am probably planning to try this... I always had music as a kid (don't remember how early) and I really loved it. I still leave the radio on sometimes when I go to sleep if DH isn't in bed yet 8-[

There is a CD with a baby on the front, "Music for Dreaming", which both my babies have been settled by.

When Emily was in the NICU, the "music therapist" would arrange softly played CD music for unsettled babies, starting with lullabies with no vocals, and sometimes even taping mum's voice reading stories to help settle baby to sleep. In Special Care, they used CDs of womb/heartbeat sounds to help settle babies sometimes.

We used music for dreaming for Matilda for the first 5 months, now we alternate different cd's. We used cd's from when we in hospital

Me too. We use 'Soothing Classics for Babies', great mix of classical music that Matthew drifts off to.

It is something else soothing that we use, so he knows it's sleep time. (bath/feed in semi darkness) Have tried it a few times without it but never seems to work. I think it is a habit thing, just what they get used to.

I never actually used CD's for Aidyn to drift off to sleep with when he was little.
    The closest thing to it is when DP would rock him to sleep in his arms to his own music (beatles etc)

For the next baby I would definately be wanting to buy one of those CD's for bedtime, it sounds like a lovely idea to add to their bedtime routine.

Just on this too, I always used to give Olivia her bedtime boob/bottle in her room, with the lights really dim, with her CD on.......and it was great for me too!! At the end of a long day, when I sank into that chair and heard that music and her slurping into slumber I could feel all the days stresses drain away, so when I popped her into bed and we had the evening to ourselves, it made me feel more relaxed and refreshed IYKWIM?

It has become such a habit with me and Olivia I will always find that CD relaxes me!!

We used music and audio books for Kimberley so she would have a story told to her while trying to sleep.
    Not had to use any of that yet with Alex.

I've been using the "Peace Baby" CD every night with Hannah since she got home. I swear by it. She seems to startle and wake less with some background noise. It's so quiet at night time (not the usual household hustle and bustle of the daytime) that without the CD on, she seems to wake to every little noise (like the dogs barking outside, a bird, me coughing etc.)

During the day I have the TV on or have her near the washing machine/dryer/vaccum cleaner etc.

When she's really fussy, I have a CD of chanting Tibetan Monks from the Woodford Folk Festival. She seems to be lulled by the low, gutteral sounds they make, and the ringing of the little bells. Tim has tried imitating the monks, and can get her to nod off from crying to fast asleep! It's hillarious to watch. My voice isn't deep enough apparently!

I don't actually use a CD but I just tune the radio into static and it has always worked really well with Kaleb. I guess it's because it's a 'white noise', similar to how I always go to sleep well when I can hear rain pounding outside! The beauty of it is that it means you don't have to be so quiet around the house when Kaleb is sleeping because the static drowns out other noises anyway.

Vanessa Guest

A relaxation CD became a ritual for putting Liam to sleep when he was 5 - 11 months old. We would wrap, give dummy and put music on, place him in bed. Later we lost the wrap, but the rest of the routine stayed the same. Now he puts himself to sleep, although the last fortnight, he has wanted his CD on, he is 16 months old and when we put him in his room for sleep, when he is on the change table he can reach his CD player now and gestures for the music. I still have the relaxation CD, but last week he listened to the Wiggles lullaby one, and that one worked too.

When he was little and I would be in the car and he was really unsettled and there was nothing I could do due to driving I would put the radio on a fine music radio station and he would settle easily.