Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The questions we get most often from other people about our babies...

Tigergirl1980 Guest

OMG :eek: that's the rudest thing ever to say to someone. In a way I hope he was on drugs to say something like that. Atleast he's complimentary these days.

tiggy Guest

OMG Tracey,
    I don't know if I would have just kept walking. My fist might have suddenly protruded from my body and made accidental contact with his F*ing head if he had said that about my baby! I'm glad you are more refined than me!

It was a week before Christmas so she was about 3 weeks old & gorgeous (to me!)
    I think he had been drinking & he is a bit of a K nob!

It was rude & I was with my Mum & she wanted to flatten him, I think i was still on the new Mum euphoric high!!!

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

OMG, I get the are they good babies! What is it with that question?????
    My faves are;
    Are they identical? (they are a boy and a girl)
    Are you breastfeeding them? I often get this from little old grannies on pension pay day and the other one they like to ask is... were they naturally conceived or are they IVF?Never trust a granny, they think because they are small, old and look sweet they can ask anything and expect an honest reply!

Also get, do they sleep through the night? NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!
    Tiff - I have been asked these exact questions usually in a row and the good babies one gets me all the time ? I want to say something cool back - help me anyone ?

I had both boys in blue and they ask boy and girl ?

The IVF one - how rude but people want to know !

BTW - I hate the comment as I walk past ... 'double trouble' from complete strangers ... one older lady walking past me in the street called it out , the man at Panthers Club reception (was there for BB meetup not a booze up) and out shopping ... feel like poking my tongue at them :nana: double the baby bonus -two for price of one actually double the cuddles

Trish, don't forget double the love too hun I have twin neices and whenever we would take them out or tell someone about them you would get the same replies as you.

ETA, just fixing up my typo's.
    Last edited by Trish; August 23rd, 2006 at 08:00 AM.

tiggy Guest

Oh Yes, Trish, I get Double Trouble too, heard it with Immy and Maddy as well.
    *SIGH* people are just so unoriginal, you'd think after ten years someone would have thought of something new!

I get the "is he sleeping through?" and "good baby? " ones too but I also get "What's his name?" which I think is odd... often it's the first question they ask... I usually answer because he has a slightly unusual name I like to gauge the reaction and luckily it's all been positive. Then they ask me the names of my other children and usually make some comment about how "unusual" they are. I wish I had the guts to ask them theirs! It's really quite impolite now that I think about it... still... once again it's usually little old ladies *shrug* so what can you do? LOL

Yup I got the same when I was pg with Noah. Funny though my answer was usually, this was my try for a girl... Well, until the next time when I did

Or when I was pg the ammount of people that would ask what I was having, well I hope it's not a puppy!!! Or they would tell me that I was carrying a boy!! For sure 100% when I was pg with Teh and when I would say no actually it's a girl they would then tell me the scan was wrong because I was carrying a boy!! Hmm Not looking inside her nappy...

HEHE, yep, so true Jillian.

Oh Jillian, when I was pg all the little old ladies would say I was having a boy because of the way I was carrying, and I'd always reply "Not according to the u/s!" LOL

Bathsheba, I also get asked what her name is and how old she is (better than is she a good baby, etc). I guess I should count myself lucky everyone assumes she's a girl too considering some ppl's comments! She is usually dressed in pink and I've been told she looks very girl-y, whatever that means. Btw, I don't think Verity and Wade are that unusual for names, they aren't common but I've known ppl called both. Niall is a bit more unusual, very nice, Irish isn't it? I also like Niamh for a girl. Good on you for choosing names that you don't come across all the time!

Why is it that little old ladies can be so rude???!

Thanks Jennifer I love Niamh too (pronounced Neve) and was considering it before we found out we were having a boy however I do like names that are said the way they are spelt so that was a bit of an issue. Niall is pronounced "Nile" although apparently it was pronounced "Neil" in Ireland until a few generations ago. My DH's family are Irish in origin and that always surprises the little old ladies who also ask what nationality we are because we look Italian/Greek etc you should see the look on their faces when i tell them there are Swedes on my side of the family. Aren't people funny.

If I have a girl next and get asked that qn I think I'll be cheeky and say, "Oh yes, we're going to keep going until we get a boy, just like they did in the old days!"

Bathsheba, Zander's godfather's name is Wade & I've been friends with him since we started kindergarten together, so it's a totally normal name to me LOL! I love your other names as well, Verity is so pretty & Niall sounds so strong to me.

Hahaha Jillian that's so funny! When people ask me where I buy my kid's clothes "because they always look so lovely" I take great delight in saying "oh, usually the Op Shop"... you should see the faces of the more competitative mum's at Playgroup when I say that! Usually it follows the "what school are you going to send your boys to?" conversation... they can't seem to get their heads around the fact that we are sending our kids to private schools yet choose to shop at Op Shops (though to me it makes perfect sense if you want to also be a SAHM!). They just don't seem to know how to "rate" me LOL BTW I love Op Shopping... you find the most original stuff there! I loooove 'vintage' children's clothing.

ETA: Thanks Sarah I've loved the name Verity since I was 15yo and "knew" that I was going to name my daughter that name... Wade was my DH's suggestion and Niall was mine but it took a bit of convincing to get it past DH... as did his middle name: Atticus! But a lot of men seem to struggle with naming children it seems.

Better off spending money on our kids' education than on designer clothes, Bathsheba. Although I have to admit a weakness for cute outfits. I think I like dressing Lucy more than myself! I always shop when they have sales. Osh Kosh sell off shoes at the end of each season and I bought Lucy pairs in every size and a few different styles and colours - 9 in total - for $10 each!! Somehow I think I'm getting off the subject here!

LOL yeah... I thought the same thing Jen (me being off topic)... but it IS a question I get asked And I so agree with enjoying dressing my kids more than myself these days!

I rarely buy myself anything either as the girls always come first & it's funny how I also find some cheap bargains & mix & match them with other cheap stuff & people will comment & ask where I got the outfit when it was all various bits thrown together!

Gosh.. think I'm guilty of asking some of those earlier questions and comments! But it really is just small talk! I promise! I didn't realise people get offended so easily! LOL.

Tracey - I happily call Tallon our little half-breed. LOL. We also get the 'eurasians are gorgeous' comments.. I don't mind that at all

I actually find it harder to reply to compliments! hehe. When someone says how cute he is I don't wanna sound like I'm boasting! LOL. I've been known to say that.. yes.. it seems two wrongs CAN make a right!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast