Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The questions we get most often from other people about our babies...

Default The questions we get most often from other people about our babies...

- Is she sleeping through the night?
    - Have you started her on solids?

Those are my two!! And I can't believe it - EVERYONE seems to ask! Doesn't matter whether it's someone in the lift at the shopping centre who I've never even met, our neighbours, family, friends... Who knew people were such stickybeaks?!

I'm almost sorry to answer, yes, she's sleeping through the night (although I believe at this age, anything from five hours counts, so I'm just extraordinarily lucky to be getting 10!) and no, she hasn't started solids yet. With no explanation.

Lucy's five months old.

Just wondered what qns other Mums get from interested/nosey observers. And how old is your bub when they ask them?

PS - I'd love to fire back a couple of personal qns to them, but I can't think of anything closely related. Maybe, what time do you get up in the morning? Do you have a good diet?? I mean, she may only be a baby, but she's a person as well and I don't think it's any of their business what she eats and how long she sleeps for!!

I constantly get is that all her hair? I have said no, & I have also said to a stranger whom leant in & started pulling at it, careful its' a wig!

Another one I always get or my Mum & Sis get whilst out shopping with Indah or Maddy is "She isnt your baby/child!" Mum & Sis say No that's right she's my grand daughter or my niece..
    But when i say yes she is, they shake their head & say no that baby is Asian..?? Yet when Dh goes shopping with the girls, he gets asked are they your kids!!! hee hee

When my Mum takes all the grandkids she gets the funniest stares, as my sisters kids are extremely fair skinned & my niece has red hair & pure whilte skin, but my nephew's hair is so blonde & his skin so white we nick name him Casper, but then she has Maddy & Indah whom are olive with dark hair & people always stare!

But my pet hate is "What mix is she as I can see she is a half caste!" I actually can never answer as i am usually in shock that anyone would say that, but I get it probably monthly & got it with Maddy too!
    Others usually say, OH your girls are stunning, Asian & Western is a beatiful mix, these persons are more than welcome to comment but the rude ones, I'd rather not chat too!

Oh Tracey, how rude people are!! And narrow-minded too... Btw, I read in the paper a while ago that scientific studies of people's views of what is attractive, etc, from photos of faces found that Asian/Western mix was found to be thought the most attractive by the widest range of people. So you have scientific proof your daughters are beautiful as well as their looks!

Tracy I got something similar!
    My boys had lots of hair and I got asked all the time if I had indegestion but thankfully nobody pulled his hair.
    Angus has also inherited an olive complexion from his ancestors. We have Maori and Lebanese a few generations back and combined with the touch of jaundice he had as a newborn and black hair I had heaps of people ask is his dad Asian.
    I agree that your girls are gorgeous it's a shame that people can't word things in a nicer manner!

I got asked if Mason was big for his age, especially if I had him in the baby bjorn. He was always on the smaller side of the chart for his age.

OMG Tracey I can't believe people say half-caste!!!! That's awful!

My cousin is half lebanese but doesn't have the dark features that her Dad (my uncle) does and her DH is blonde and fair. Their first bub was a blondie but their second took on the darker features and one lady said to her 'Oh couldn't you have more than one? Did you adopt?' !!!! How rude!

OMG Suz how rude.

Tracey, I think youg girls are gorgeous and thats all that matters Honestly though, some peoplw have no decorum(sp?) whatsoever. Why does it matter what their background is, I understand people are curious but surely there's a nicer way off putting it.

Jen, family makes for the biggest stckybeaks I think.

My questions I get with Teh and even with Noah are
    * Where do they get their red hair from?? Quite funny as it usually happens when mum is with me and she's a red head.
    * How is she sleeping?? Simply, she doesn't!!
    *When are you going to wean / are you still breastfeeding!!! More as a statement than a question though.

OOOH I forgot when I was in the hospital losing the precious bubba before we created Indah & the nurse asked if I had any succesful pregnancies & I said 'Yes, I have a daughter" Now at this time we had been trying for over a year & I was a mess at the hospital...
    She then asks what age the other child is & I say she just turned 7, to which I got a roll of the eyes & the following statement "Different Father then!" She was also writing it as she asked it, which p'd me , yes my girls dont have the same Father, but the way she said it to me was very rude & if I wasnt already a basket case I think I would have said something! I kinda felt like she was insinuating well no wonder this is happening to you!!!! Ofcourse I dont think she realised it & I'd like to think she spoke before thinking... The nurses whom did the Ultrasound were absolutely gentle & kind & she sat holding my hand for a long time & let me sob like a out of tune didgeridoo for as long as I needed!!!!!

Trish I got on the weekend whilst we were out, Are you still feeding your baby, what age do you think you'll stop? from a complete stranger... I wish I had an answer, I just said Not yet!!!!

I get asked if he's a good baby too. I always think, well he's not into stealing/booze/drugs so I suppose he's a good baby LOL. Oooh and one that really annoys me is 'Are you still breastfeeding?! Don't you know your milk's no good after 12 months?' or 'Don't you know you can stop now?'

Tracey, some people are so rude aren't they! A few years ago DH & I were sitting in the mall minding our own business when a guy walked up to DH and congratulated him on getting himself an Asian woman and then proceeded to say that Asian women produce beautiful & intelligent kids! We just sat there absolutely stunned LOL.

The "is she a good baby" thing used to give me the $hits. Like Jillian says - whats a good baby, and how do we choose I just normally answer - I dont know she's my first so I have nothing to compare.
    We get asked about Jenna's curls all the time, cuase they are pretty funky People dont believe that my hair was identical when I was little.
    I can't believe people have the need to make rude comments about ethnicity of babies. I think Tracey's girls are stunners, and so are most other mixed babies I've seen.
    And I got the feeding comment a fair bit too - when are you giving up. WHEN I BLOODY WANT TO!!!!

My Mum has asked when i plan to stop feeding Indah & I said to her I have no plan, I am not planning (it's actually one thing in my life I havent felt the compelling need to plan). I actually love feeding the little biter, if she decides she wants to give up Mummy's milk then I will let her, until then I really have no plan to stop, I am actually so stoked I have made it til 11 months & having been back at work since mid Jan... She now has 2 ff during the day, but I still feed her all weekend & morning & nigghts & it's working perfectly for us so why stop???

Oh ladies, if some of these questions weren't so RUDE, they'd be funny.......but it is so nice to see you all seeing the funny side of it......shows we are confident smart chicks who know that our babies are perfect regardless of some rude statements from strangers......

MIne are:

"Where did she get that hair from".......Olivia has dark red curly long hair, I have short mousy brown and Andrew is shaved bald and Charlie is going blonde.......

"Isn't she tiny......don't you feed her?" Quite often this is in a shop when Olivia is stuffing her face with a chesesymite scroll and a banana......(I swear the child has hollow legs)

My current favourite is "You must have fallen pregnant as soon as you gave birth to him" as they stare at my huge bump and then stare at Charlie.......(I just grit my teeth at this one, but I am temped to reply "Yeah, we shagged the minute I came home from hospital...." just to shock.......LOL

Fee Guest

The only questions I've encountered so far are:

- How old is he?
    - Is he a good baby?

Cooper is 5 weeks old today - I guess we're getting a lot of comments (particularly about his age) when we're out and about because he's so new!

Lucy you should have said your Hubby delivered Charlie & snuck a quicky in while you were still numb!!!!! hee hee

Olivia has gorgeous hair....

Quote Originally Posted by Jillian
    I get asked if she is a 'good baby'...What is a good baby anyways?
    OMG that is exactly what I was going to post. EVERYONE asks me that...

tiggy Guest

OMG, I get the are they good babies! What is it with that question?????
    My faves are;
    Are they identical? (they are a boy and a girl)
    Are you breastfeeding them? I often get this from little old grannies on pension pay day and the other one they like to ask is... were they naturally conceived or are they IVF?Never trust a granny, they think because they are small, old and look sweet they can ask anything and expect an honest reply!

Also get, do they sleep through the night? NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!
    Because Noah is 2kg heavier than Ivy, I often get asked if Noah steals Ivy's bottles/food etc!

Tiff, LOL at the identical qn and what's with the does he steal her bottles??

The other comment I get all the time is "Wow, look at those beautiful blue eyes!" At least that's a positive one.

Tiff, you are so right with the Granny's there is nearly nothing they don't ask. Poor Noah getting the blame for stealing bottles. Did they ever think that perhaps the fact that he's a boy he might naturally be bigger!! And how is it that people thing boy/girl twins can be identical.

Lucy, I think you should use Tracey's reply shut them up quick smart

I had this old lady say to Tehya a few months back that she should take her pipe (dummy) out and throw it away as she was too old for it . I said to the lady at the counter I better not tell her she's on the boob still then!!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast