Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: The questions we get most often from other people about our babies...

Half breed from the Mum is different than a half caste comment from a stranger...

Yeah true. I wasn't excusing what that person said at all. And caste is an awful word for them to use.

People are still really funny about mixed couples tho. Do you find that? We're always getting stared at.. and more-so now that we're breeding! *shock horror* hehe. Especially from the older generations, and very much from other asians! Do you find that?

Debbie Lee Guest

Isn't it a pity that this day in age people are still using phrases like half-caste?? Honest to goodness!!
    Tracey - I agree... your girls are just gorgeous! As for people reserving any kind of judgement about their physical features, they can go jump in the lake. People are people... we are capable of falling in love with anyone - even if they are of a different ethnicity. Time for people to let go of the whole "mixed-race" stigma. Urrgh! AND I can't believe that nurse that "assumed" that the baby you were losing had a different father. Besides which, what business is it of hers!! God... I wanna slap her silly!!

Kathryn - don't feel bad about having to ask if the mother's and child's surnames are the same. These days, it's 50/50. Guaranteed every class I teach, at least half the kids don't share the same last name as the mother. The funny thing is (and I hope this is a good thing) is that I am more inclined to assume that Mum decided to keep her maiden name or something like that! Some of the parents have explained to me why their last names aren't the same (marriage isn't for them, they're engaged but not yet married etc. etc.). Either way, it's an individual choice and there are soooo many different reasons so it's not fair to jump to conclusions (not that I think you do... ykwim??).

I often get asked if Gabby is a girl or a boy. I guess the lack of hair doesn't help. It baffles me when people ask when she's wearing pink tho... why would I dress a boy in pink??
    In saying that, she was wearing a Ford Racing jumper yesterday with her red water-proof pants and everyone assumed she was a boy.... but she was also wearing a purple pixi hat that I SO wouldn't put on a boy, LOL. I couldn't blame people tho.

I too get the "is she a good baby" question. It used to annoy me but now I give up trying to steer people off such a dumb question. I just say "yep" and move on, LOL.

Can't believe you girls get the 'half-caste' comments or even sideways glances!

If you were going down that road I wouldn't know how to classify Lucy - mixture of German, Serbian, English, Italian, Irish and who-knows-what-Australian. And anyone who knows anything about history should know that 'English' is about the most mixed-race background of all!!

And it's actually "good" for humanity to have babies from mixed races... it's good genetically because it breeds out a lot of diseases that are prevalent to particular races. Sorry to be be crude here (I hope I don't offend anyone) but it's like animal breeding: you usually get a much healthier animal from mixed breeds than 2 pure breeds. I have a racially prevalent disease: (Cholestasis of pregnancy is very prevalent in the Swedish race but my DH hasn't got any Swedish blood so the chances of my DD inheriting it has lessened. Anyhow... if anyone else has the hide to comment about mixed race marriages or children just you tell them that!

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie Lee
    why would I dress a boy in pink??
    Oi, boys can wear pink too Have a look at my boy in pink - here

Debbie Lee Guest

LOL Sarah... it looks red!!
    Zander would look spunky in anything
    Ok... I stand corrected.
    But, I mean, if you saw a baby wearing "baby pink" and looking really girly, would there be any mistake?? That's what I meant!

LOL Niall has also been known to wear his sister's pink wondersuits... being the middle of winter and falling behind with the washing has led to having no other choice... and once I had to go out in public and yes... sure enough someone had to notice and tell me how "gorgeous" she was!

LOL Deb, I was just picking on ya And it isn't red, it's more of a salmon pink

I have only bought Lucy blue, green and white wondersuits, since I want to pass them down to #2. But she doesn't tend to wear them when I go out. We got a fair few very little outfits from family that are unisex 'cause they bought them before we found out she was a girl. I also get told a bit "you didn't want anyone to not realise she was a girl". Maybe I'm dressing her too girly!!

Sarah, that kind of pink is lovely on a boy! I also think light pink shirts with a dark dinner suit look great on men too. Depending on the tie...

Ivana,
    I do get lot's of stares from other Asians & these are the ones that usually stop my Mum & Tell her those kids arent yours!! Like she's kidnapped them hee hee!

I have that photo of Indah wearing your t-shirt Sarah H on my desk & EVERYONE says that little man looks like a handful... I laugh coz YEP that little miss is a cheeky, stubborn mimi me!!!

My Mum wets herself laughing at the moment as Indah is so stubborn & has a bad temper... Like me apparently!???

I dont mind when they simply ask what nationality the girls father is etc, but when I just get people up in my face being rude about the mix kids thingy it really p!sses me off!

I once attacked a lady in Safeway when her son was rude to Maddison about having dirty skin, it was Summer & yep she was pretty brown, but I will never tolerate my kids being attacked with racism & this Mother copped an absolute foul mouthful from me... I will not stand around & wtacxh anyone be put down, judged or disrespected because they are different!!!

I gave her some new words to teach her kids & I never saw a person shrink so low in all my life!!!

I used to be deli manager at the Safeway about 8 yrs earlier & so I knew most of the staff & they all laughed!!!

My Girls are pretty tom boyish, I cannot buy clothes for maddy unless she is there coz she flat out refuses to wear it!!!!

Debbie Lee Guest

Good on you, Tracey! Fancy that kid saying that Maddy had dirty skin. It's not like we live in such a sheltered society that we don't know that other skin colours exist! Sheesh!

Apparently when I was a baby (probably about Gab's age??), we were at church. There was a family visiting from Africa (I can't remember the specific country). Anyway, I wandered over to the lady and she picked me up and sat me on her knee. Apparently I was facinated by her hands. I kept turning one of her hands looking at the palm and the back of her hand. Mum said she was sooo shocked when I rubbed the top of her hand then looked at my hand to see if the colour would come off!! LOL Apparently the lady just laughed and commented on the innocence of children. Mum was pretty mortified tho!! LOL

My Mum & Dad tell me how they always knew I had a thing for coloured men...

I was 2ish years old & they had taken myself & older sister to thE Melbourne Zoo.
    At every enclosure we stopped at there was this attractive african guy really tall & had fluffy/fuzzy hair (so my Mum tells me!)
    Apparently they'd bend down & say 'look at the seal, gorilla, giraffe etc, etc!'
    But the whole time I'd be staring up at this guy & smiling, I was so inqusitive & I just kept staring at him at each animal we got too.

Mum & Dad constantly tried to get me to look elsewhere & kept apologising, but he had a deep voice & spoke to me & I was just so enthralled by this man...

Apparently they said it was a waste of time trying to get me to look at any animals!!! hee hee

That's a cute story Deb....

Debbie Lee Guest

Awww... that's cute, Tracey It's the innocence and the inquisitiveness of children, hey?

I have a similar cute story about my little sister.

We were on holidays at a caravan park and my little sister would have been about three. She was so cute with blond curls and fair skin. She brings home a friend she's met, telling Mum her friend looks just like her. Her little friend was very dark, African descent with tight dark curls! Maybe she meant the curly hair!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tracey
    I have that photo of Indah wearing your t-shirt Sarah H on my desk & EVERYONE says that little man looks like a handful...
    OMG you're kidding! Bah to them

Debbie Lee Guest

Awww that's a great story, Jennifer!!

Hmmmph at work yesterday a few ladies said... "How on earth van you still want to be feeding a child with with teeth? You will give up before her 21st!?"
    I replied & said if she wants me to feed her on her Wedding Day I will, as long as she is happy & healthy!!!!

Then another woman piped up that she had heard (after telling her SIL to stop feeding her nephew at 16 months) that feeding a child up to & past 2 years gives them better communication skills & confidence???

They all said Oh.....

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast