Thread: Rash on back of knee

Question Rash on back of knee

Hi Everyone

I'm going to the CHN about this next Tuesday but I was just wondering what you thought - or whether any of you have enountered it.

Daniel has a rash on the back of his knee (the cute chubby bit at the back of his leg with all the fat little wibbly bits on it).

He has had it pretty much since he was one month old. It has never really bothered me that much and I've been told by one and all that it is "heat rash".

Just in the last couple of weeks it has started to look quite angry and started to weep. In the mornings, it's hardly visible, but by the end of the day is quite nasty.

I've put that paw paw stuff on it - no difference and even put nappy rash cream on it - which seemed to help it greatly, but it's soothing properties don't last long. I have now had someone recommend corn flour to ensure it is dried out - so I've started that tonight in the hope that this will work. Corn flour's really benign, so I've got no prob trying this.

I suspect it may be eczema - but it is the only eczema on his whole body, if this is the case.

Like I said, I'm going to see the nurse about it. The ladies at Day Care say they see this sort of thing all of the time and haven't even batted an eye lid at it - even when it's at its angriest.

Has anyone else had anything like this? If so, what did you have to treat it with? I have a suspicion that I will probably end up with some sort of prescribed cream of an anti fungal nature.......... not sure.

Just read Cailin's post in Children's Medical Conditions............. what a mine field.......

Thanks.

Last edited by Evie76; October 27th, 2007 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Just read Cai's post

Zander had a similar thing in the crook of his elbow where his chubby rolls were. I found out, by my mum LOL, that it was just from missing the spot when drying him afte rhis bath. Then when it was looking very sore I didn't want to rub it & make it worse, so I'd leave it after a bath, which actually made it worse

I kept unscented powder on it whilst it was particularly angry & avoided too many baths at that point. Then when it was better he had more baths again & after drying him thoroughly from his bath I'd put powder on it again which seemed to help.

Good luck....
    Last edited by {sarah}; October 27th, 2007 at 07:58 PM.

I agree with Sarah - we had something similar under DD's neck in one of the skin folds.

The other thing it could be is chaffing...

OK. Looks like I'll have to ensure it's definitely dry after a bath and I suspect that's what the corn flour helps it to do - dry it out.

I'll see how that goes.

Hi lestypuss,
    My DD Charlotte has a dry/eczma looking patch behind one of her knees too. She's had it for months and months- I can't remember when it appeared. It does flare up from time to time. Once when it flared up I found a sample pot of sudocream that I had laying around. Now, her dry patch has not been diagnosed as eczma or anything, but it looks like eczma to me. Sudo cream is supposed to help with eczma and nappy rash among other things. So I tried it on. It definately calms down the flare up- the dry patch never disappears completely. I often put it on nice and thick just before bed. You can buy sudocream from coles or woolies in the baby section.
    I hope this helps!!!
    Jess x o

Thanks Jess. I got some of that in my bounty bag when I had him. I wonder where I put it. I'll try it. The corn flour hasn't done too much, just made a mess everywhere.

My DS had the same (by the sounds of it) thing and the only way I got rid of it (after months & months) was to keep putting sorboline cream on it and keep his legs covered (usually with really light long pants because it was in the warmer months). We tried the flour/powder but it didn't work for him. Oh and he kept scratching at it which made it worse (he was only about 4 or 5 months old a the time).

sounds like maybe a fungal infection.. hannah had this in neck rolls and arm creases. its from heat and wetness. we used 'Hydrozole' from the chemist. see your gp though to make sure... have you been yet?

Hi Everyone (see Hollo!)

It's a fungal infection. He is now on Dactrozin (a cream) and within three days has turned the red, raw skin rash "skin coloured". The pharmacist gave it to me. I whipped out and got it after posting on here the last time I was just so worried. So....... yay for that.

Just the same sort of thing as tinea. It likes moist, warm places. During hot days, of course, his rolls get very sweaty and warm - just the perfect place for fungus.

So, there you go.

Glad I read all the way to the end, as I was going to suggest Daktozin!! I have used it for DD's fungal infection and it was like a miracle cream. I had been persisting with Sudocreme, which took the redness away for a while, but it would be back next nappy change. The Daktozin did such a great job!

Exactly star. It's magic. Went to see the CHN today and she said that anything else I had been using was probably feeding the fungus - eg: the paw paw stuff is quite sugary which fungus likes.

So, that is probably why it took a sudden turn for the worse when I started using that paw paw stuff.

Just a great relief. She said to use the whole tube - even though it looks like it's gone, just to ensure it is definitely killed off because it won't have a problem coming back again.