Thread: really random but SO ANNOYING!! she wont stop doing it

Default really random but SO ANNOYING!! she wont stop doing it

Aurelia won't stop rubbing her feet together. She does it so much and so violently that she's taking her skin off and scratching herself! We clipped her toenails but because she does it so hard, it still scratches. I put socks on her but she just pulls them off (by rubbing her feet together) anyway!

This is driving me absolutely bananas, what can I do?

Don't have an answer for you but things that occurred to me are could it be that she is allergic to something? Does she have a rash or do you use something on her feet in particular that she could have a reaction to? Does she seem distressed at all when she does it or is it more behavioural/habit?

Hope you find a solution.

thanks, saffi. I think it's behavioural - the only skin irritation i can see is what she's caused herself by rubbing her feet and i haven't used anything different at all on her skin. All i use is baby oil and the same bath stuff i've used since she was a newborn.

Do you suppose it's like a nervous habit, like the way adults bite their fingernails, or immaturity of her movements?

My DS does this too, but not as severely as your DD. You could try her in a pair of soft-soled baby shoes. My friend designs Cheeky Little Soles and they are fantastic because they don't come off! They are soft and comfy and are similar to wearing socks.

Don't have any advice, just wanted to say DD also does this. She does it mostly when BF and when she is overtired and trying to go to sleep.

Maybe as an interim solution put her in a wondersuit with feet in it, use booties that tie on, or I saw really cute knee high socks in Big W the other day.

Then if it is behavioural maybe try distracting her every time she starts doing it.

This sounds a bit random I know but maybe a spray bottle with a bit of water in it and spray her feet every time she starts doing it. That means if there is some sort of irritation it will momentarily soothe it and will distract her from what she is doing.

Thanks, everyone. Where would I buy those booties? I might get some knee high socks too. It's been a bit too hot to put her in wondersuits lately but as it gets cooler that'll be more of an option. The spray bottle is an interesting one! I'll give it a try.