Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for car seats

Fee Guest

Default Recommendations for car seats

Cooper is 3.5 months old and currently in a hire capsule. I believe he'll reach the maximum weight before reaching 6 months old. So we've started looking at car seats.

Many people seem to recommend Safe-n-Sound. I've seen so many different SNS ones - which ones do you have?

We looked at some car seats yesterday and were shown the two different sorts:

1) Carseat for 6 months to 6 years (can only face forwards)
    2) Carseat for newborn to 4 years (rear facing and forward facing)

I was hoping Cooper could go from the hire capsule to the carseat for 6 months plus. But it looks like Cooper will outgrow the capsule before he reaches 6 months so the sales lady said we'll have to buy a capsule which is rear facing and use that for 2-3 months and then we can turn it around. So really, we should have just bought one of those from the beginning ... but, I am glad we got the capsule I guess. It was very handy to take out of the car when Cooper was little (he's now getting too heavy!).

Anyway if you can recommend any car seats that would be a great help. Thanks!

The safe and sound ones are great. I've been happy with my convertible. They are pretty big though, so just make sure you have the space in the car.
    I would recommend you go to one of the big stores that has a large range and ask for what was rated the safest in the recent tests.
    The only thing I can say is that there is very little point getting the ones with all the fancy things on them as pretty soon when they reach toddlerdom everything is covered with food and sticky fingers all the time!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fee View Post
    2) Carseat for newborn to 4 years (rear facing and forward facing)
    these are the safest - many you can rear-face up to 12kg - which is the safest way to travel.

ours is a baby love brand - they have side impact protection aswell??
    Last edited by johT; October 30th, 2006 at 06:51 PM.

Hi Fee,

We have a safe n sound royale - its being used for DD#2 at the moment. I still have it rear facing (shes 8 months).
    I dont know what model is out thesedays, but we got one with a detachable sun visor (which proved pretty pointless, it kinda got in the way if you ask me)and one with side pockets to stash small toys, dummies, bibs etc. Ive found this the best feature of this car seat. Ive had other mothers comment too on how handy it is to have a little side pocket attached to the seat. We spent over $400 and that was 3 years ago. It still looks new after 2 children !!

Good luck.

The sun visors that are on some of the baby seats are not actually recomended to use because the trap the heat around the baby & they can get rather warm under there. I never bothered with the visor from my seat as I found it to be a PIA. Then I read about them carrying the risk of overheating the baby & was glad it was a PIA & I didn't use it.
    I like the new HIpod range that Target have. I have the booster seat for Evan & if I needed to get a new baby seat I would get the reversable seat that Hipod do. I am pretty sure if you google HIpod you will find the seats I am talking about.

Fee - we have the Safe and Sound Meridien (I'm sure thats what its called) its suitable from birth until 4 years. I figured that by the time Allegra is 4 we will have another baby so I can buy her another booster seat and the baby can have this one.
    Its really plush and matches our car nicely!

I have 2 IGC brand car seats.. I am happy with them.. Only problem I had was with the 1st seat my son got to tall for it. but then 2nd we bought is a slightly different height..

also the IGC are for compact cars.. I have a landcruiser so it fits nicely

Fee Guest

From what I've read and heard from other people the Platinum and Meridian are the top of the range and have some special head impact thing (AHR?). Otherwise the Royale seems very popular too.

FionaJill I did see the Hipod brand in Target and was going to look up their website. And thanks for the point about the sun visors that's very interesting.

NewmumLou Guest

Hi ..
    We have safe and sound, and so far we are happy with the way it holds Joshua. We are yet to turn it around! (what age do you turn them around?)

Fee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by NewmumLou View Post
    We are yet to turn it around! (what age do you turn them around?)
    I think it's something like 6 months / 9 kgs / 70 cm.

They need to have good head control I believe.

Alot of seats say you can leave baby rearfacing till 12 kgs.. You would need to check with the manufacturer.. In saying that I turned my children around when I felt thier neck control was up to it...

sophie is 8kg, i feel funny turning her around, even though the carseat manufacturers says iys ok to do so. im going to wait till she reaches the 12kg......

Ooohhh...thankyou for this thread! We have been umming and aahing b/w a safe'n'sound and a babylove - i may be leaning toward the safe'n'sound after reading this thread. ta.

Quote Originally Posted by johT View Post
    these are the safest - many you can rear-face up to 12kg - which is the safest way to travel.

ours is a baby love brand - they have side impact protection aswell??
    love my baby love!!
    you can rear face up to 12kg

I think as long as it meets Australian standards its fine. We have a capsule as well as a Mother's Choice car seat which is from birth to 4 years. After the 4 years we'll just get him a booster seat.. i know my nephew was embarrassed and was teased a little when he started school at the age of 5 to be in a booster, i think keeping him in a "baby" car seat would be worse.
    They say to be careful when purchasing second hand car seats, unless you know the person, as to whether theyve been in an accident or tampered with.. the car seat is something i wanted to definitely buy new for that reason.

Fee Guest

We'll definitely be buying new and I've also seen that many convertible car seats are now able to take up to 12 kgs rear facing which is good for young babies who are big!

Something that may be important to you (or not!!)...... when were at the baby expo I was looking at the safe and sound display. They are now offering an accident replacement warranty programme on their AHR (Active Head Restraint) models. I think this means that if the car is ever in an accidnet they will replace the straps free of charge, cos we all know that when we are in an accident we are supposed to get the seatbelts replaced (yeah right, I never have). Just a nice little incentive they have I thought. plus the ahr models don't actually meet the Australian standards they exceed them and are the only company to do this.

yeah, i think this is what the car seat warranty programme is all about....you get a replacement if you have an accident...like having insurance for you car seat. I meant I have never had the seatbelts replaced for myself....I don't have kids yet so havent had the worry of replacing seats....then again I have only ever been in one accident and that was a rear ender while I was stationary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast