Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommendations for car seats

Fee Guest

Well I weighed and measured Cooper last night. So at 3.5 months he is 7.3 kgs and 64 cm long.

Maybe he will fit in his capsule until 6 months of age? If so I guess we'd buy a convertible booster such as the SNS Maxi Rider which is for 6 months to 6 years and is only forward facing.

I will only buy a convertible carseat if it looks like he won't fit in his capsule in the next couple of months.

Hmmm I'm not sure what to do!

its safest to keep them rearward facing as long as possible....
    the seats that convert are usually up to 18kg (my babylove one is)- my 4yo still fits in hers (18kg) - but we have just switched her to a booster seat with a lapsash belt.
    why would you want to restain an older child (above 18kg) in the safest thing you can get (such as the maxi-rider instead of a booster) - but then put a 6month old forward facing? sorry doesn't make sense to me

Fraser Guest

Hey Fee,

We've just put Charlie into a Safe'n'Sound Premier.

He loves it - I didn't realise how squashed up in his capsule he was. Charlie is 8.9 kilos and 67 cm long - he fit ok in it, but he was squashed at the sides - he used to scream his head off when I put him in the capsule, but now he happily sits in is car seat without tears. He is a big boy though

It is rear facing and slightly reclined put when he can hold his head up better it can be turned around to be a normal car seat.

It is difficult though not having the capsule to carry him around in, if he falls asleep in the car you basically wake him up getting him out - well you do if you're a klutz like I am and bang him around a bit!

Hi Fee,

To add my 2 cents worth in I have a Hipod from Target and I love it. It's the green one (I can't remember the name of it exactly). But I think all car seats are the same when they are in the reverse position - they are big - that's why I got rid of my old car and got my new one. If you are interested in this one it's on special in Target this week for $199 instead of $260.

Safe and Sound Platinum here....LOVE IT!!!

I also love that it has speakers, so later on I can plug in an i-pod and she can listen to hi-5 etc through her car seat, and I can have my SANITY.

Fee Guest

johT Sorry I was a bit confused by your post? Maybe it's too early in the morning for me?! I thought once a baby was around 6 months or 9 kgs and could hold their head up, they usually switch to forward facing?

Fraser The lady in the store told me that Cooper would let me know when he's reading to move out of his capsule. I guess like how you said Charlie would scream in his. Gosh he's such a big boy!!!

And thanks for all the other replies.

Just for something different we have the Fisher Price seat which is great too.

I have the new Platinum SNS - it has built in speakers - i love it to death! i plug his eyepod intohis seat put some music on and off he goes to sleep - i found this especially useful when he was facing the rearwards - coz the noise kept his amused for a while

Fee - i turned charlie around at 5 months - he was 10kilos by then and the health nurse said he had great head control so i was right to turn him around

Quote Originally Posted by Fee View Post
    johT Sorry I was a bit confused by your post? Maybe it's too early in the morning for me?! I thought once a baby was around 6 months or 9 kgs and could hold their head up, they usually switch to forward facing?
    Quote Originally Posted by johT View Post
    its safest to keep them rearward facing as long as possible....
    the seats that convert are usually up to 18kg (my babylove one is)- my 4yo still fits in hers (18kg) - but we have just switched her to a booster seat with a lapsash belt.
    why would you want to restain an older child (above 18kg) in the safest thing you can get (such as the maxi-rider instead of a booster) - but then put a 6month old forward facing? sorry doesn't make sense to me
    yes you CAN turn them at roughly 6 months/9kg/good head control (check the seats instruction manual for recommendations) - BUT most of them recommend that you wait until your child is 12kg before you turn them if you get a seat that is reversible. it is SAFER to leave them rearward facing for as long as possible - most seats (babylove or safe'n'sound) let you keep them rearward facing until 12kg (check the manual). it is so much safer if you are involved in a crash. (and sidenote - great for if they fall asleep in the car - they flop about everywhere forward facing no matter what age!)
    here in SA you got to the Redcross and they give you the current advice and can correctly install seats. other states i think one is called kidsafe??
    i went recently and now my 4 yo has a H harness with her booster on their recommendation - alot safer...i had thought we couldn't use one with the lapsash belt but i was wrong:eek: oops.

now i am going to admit to being a hypocrite *blush* - my DD was turned at 10 kg/1 year, i would have liked to delay it until 12kg but the front seat was too close to the windscreen and i had to also consider the safety of my elder stepchildren.a compromise

i was also trying to say that if you got a convertabe seat - it should last until atleast 4 years old/18kg anyways - then you could use a booster with a H harness ....

Fee Guest

Thanks Joh... I understand now.

I believe most of the SNS convertible seats are from newborn to 18 kgs but they say "Baby can stay in rearward-facing position up to 12kg". I guess after that they won't fit in the rearward position and you have to turn it around?

yes correct
    they might still fit size wise - but you do need to go by the weight, not 100% sure why...
    i know its important not to exceed the weight limit forward facing (18kg) as it puts stress on the car seat straps???

i love my babylove too!

me too but apparently they are the biggest seats you can get.
    now we are thinking about bub 3 - and have a tiny car - we would need to swap to a safe'n'sound compaq for them all to fit...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12