Thread: Red rash around mouth???

~Belinda~ Guest

Default Red rash around mouth???

Hi, my DD has a red rash around her mouth. We were giving her those cold rubber things to suck but CHN said to put them in freezer. So they were quite cold but we would rinse them beforehand. She got the rash through the week and it is not disappearing. It's a bit under her chin too and it's a bit risen up IYKWIM. It's starting to get dry/little crusty but it's still quite red. Might go to GP tomorrow, a bit worried, anyone else's bubs had this?

Bindy, there may be a chance that she is suffering from ice burn.... I'm not sure why that lady told you to put it in the freezer, because they go in the fridge. I'd say its gone a bit crusty because its peeling (as some burns can).

Thats just my uneducated guess of course.

Oskar had a rash when he was around 5 1/2 months which was very red and mainly on the chin but it apparently was a fungal infection... doc told me to get daktagold (quite exy though) and that helped clear it. I would go to doc's first though and see if it's something like that or an ice burn like Mel said.

~Belinda~ Guest

How is ice burn treated? b/c she is teething, the CHN said we had to numb her swollen/red/sore gums before a feed as she was not drinking her milk. She is taking in all her milk now which is good but this rash is everywhere, it turned up about 2 days afterward. CHN said they were not cold enough in the fridge. We ran it under some water beforehand though so it defrosted a little. OH NO what have I done!

Bindy hon, I'm just guessing that its what it could be thats all.. not saying for sure thats what it is.. it could be teething rash - DS got one at 6 months that was awful, but was more around his cheek area, and never peeled, so I didn't automatically think it could be that.

I didn't mean to alarm you, just that on the packaging we got our teething ring in it said to have it in the fridge cos the freezer could cause burns.

I hope she doesn't have that and its just simply teething rash (Even though that looks awful too!!)

id be more inclinded to think it was a fungal rash such as thrush, try a fungal cream fo ra few days and see how you go!!
    i used to put DD teething rings in the freezer and she was fine!!

~Belinda~ Guest

what sort of fungal cream?

Hi Bindy,

Have you introduced any new foods lately?

For your own peace of mind, I would be taking her to the GP so that you can start treating whatever it is, rather than guessing.

id go to the chemist and get their advise, if its too close to her mouth them daktarin or canestan might not be appropriate but will be for her neck, is it just dribble rash?

~Belinda~ Guest

I have used bum wipes on her face but always did that. I will stop that in case that's it.

She did vomit the other day so I quickly grabbed paper towel and wiped her face. I have changed baby bath too.

No new foods introduced.

I had been putting QV cream on a couple of days ago when rash appeared, perhaps that has made it worse???

AJP, it's all around her mouth and over her cheeks and all under her chin, it's red as and very raised, it looks so sore.
    Last edited by ~Belinda~; June 23rd, 2008 at 10:36 PM.

i know wipes created a rash with sophiw on her face, i always use thin facewashers to wipe her face, id perhaps check with the chemist of the Dr

Does she have any spots anywhere else? Only reason i ask is recently DS had a very similar thing as you have described and it ended up being Hand Foot & Mouth Disease. He had a few spots on his hands, and on his legs. Also had a fever and cold and flu symptoms before the rash broke out. The rash then turned crusty like.

Heres a pic of it http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...php?photo=7080

Hopefully its just dribble rash or something else. Nothing you can do for HF&M except wait for it to go. Although our doctor prescribed him some antibiotics for it incase there was some bacteria in it also.

~Belinda~ Guest

no kellxx, no blisters or spots anywhere else.
    won't use the wipes again on her face, stupid!
    it is not as red this morning. i put cornflour on it overnight to absorb moisture in the rash and it seems a bit better. will just see how she goes in a couple of days and go to doctors if no improvement.
    thanks for everything guys.

It could be a number of different things.

Take her to a GP. If you cant get in to see a doctor, take her to the chemsit and get an opinion from the pharmacist.

DS gets something simlar. his is eczema - but it doesnt stay around like you are describing, it comes and goes, and especially when he eats certain foods.

Dont stress about the teethers having been in the freeezer, you can only do the best with the information you are given. It doesnt mean that thats what has happened.

Most likely from the dribble. My doctor said that moisture on the skin caused a little dermatitis and to put thick soothing cream on it and it will disappear. He was right. Also other posters were right about the teether, on the back of the packets it says fridge only do not put in the freezer, what a silly lady for telling you that. Don't feel bad I am sure it is just from the dribbling.

~Belinda~ Guest

Thanks everyone for your help. It has almost disappeared after application of cornflour each night to dry it out, works wonders that stuff

I will try the corn flour on my almost 3 yr old.. He spits alot.. so he has a red rash around his mouth almost all the time..

glad it cleared up no worries Another tip especially in this cool dry weather. amolin cream. I was told this by my pharmacist and use it when any of my kids or myself get a dry spt or lips..